Streams:
KHL.RU; OnHockey.TV; LiveTV.ru

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
what about BrYzgalov, Fedorov, VArlamov and etc. We are talking hockey not ethnic spelling and pronunciation grammar.

Don't mix up various things. Transliterating from Russian letters -> Latin letters is fine.

But transliterating Latin name -> Russian letters -> back again to botched-up Latin letters (instead of the persons' real names!) is ridiculous.

By all means, you can continue doing that. I just find it hilarious. :D

Btw, there's nothing wrong with Bryzgalov, Varlamov, etc. It's the proper way to transliterate Cyrillic -> Latin letters. Latin does not equal English; English spelling is in many ways abnormal, as is French or German spelling.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
I also have absolutely no problem with trancription of names from one writing system into the other. But if you do it the other way around its absolutely weird. :D

Unfortuanetly some countries with Latin alphabet even change names of the same writing system like the Latvians and the English do.

In Germany Igors Pavlovs is the same as in Latvian, we don't make it Igor Pawlow (okay we do but because of the Russian version of the name as a source). :D

What I think is highly entertaining is when Soviet-born people come to Germany - they are allowed to decide themselves how the names should be written lol - and then you have stuff that is against all rules of the German language. Happens a lot to hockey players, too.

Domenica

I'm just jealous that the Russian spelling of foreign names lets you know how to pronounce the name (Jan Kovar - Ян Коварж). Honestly, why couldn't he keep the "Jan Kovář" on his jersey? Isn't it weird to see your own name without the proper letters?

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Yes, absolutely. They should have kept the diacritics on player jerseys. Hopefully the KHL will see light on this one day.

For the record, I'd have nothing against Russian player jerseys displaying names in Cyrillic. Anyone with a functioning brain can learn to read all Russian letters within 3 minutes.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Yes, absolutely. They should have kept the diacritics on player jerseys. Hopefully the KHL will see light on this one day.

For the record, I'd have nothing against Russian player jerseys displaying names in Cyrillic. Anyone with a functioning brain can learn to read all Russian letters within 3 minutes.

Please no, not this argument again. International league, Latin letters.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
You mean Latin-based. Deleting diacritics from people's real names is silly, despotic, disrespectful and misleading, as can be seen.

By the way, they don't always get Russian transliteration right, either. Slovan's forward Michel Miklík has a French first name, so he should be Mишел, not Михел. Slovaks use the French pronunciation of his name, too.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
Sorry if I offended Slovak mates. Your spelling is still an enigma for me. :) In future I will spend some time to find out how it is spelled

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
No offence. :) It's just hilarious to look at.

To give you an idea, it's as if you spelled the composer's name Ракгманинофф. :D That's the same thing (double transliteration) as Rzhiga, only in the other direction (from Russian to Latin back to fake Russian). ;)

By the way, on English-language websites (including HFBoards), of course it's permitted to skip diacritics and just write Riha, Ruzicka.

Player jerseys are a different matter. You put the player's name on it at the beginning of the season, and it stays there. There's just no reason to mutilate names on player jerseys. And there's every reason not to mutilate them, because if you see Ružička, that can give you a clue as to how to pronounce the name. A classic humorous Slovak hockey example would be Å atan versus Satan. ;) Yeah, by now everyone knows how to pronounce his name, but only because he's famous. What if he was only beginning his player career in the KHL today?

By the way, websites that wish to be respectful, make it a point to respect diacritic letters in international names. :nod: Check out hockey player profiles on Wikipedia, or football game reports at UEFA.com. Even in English-language articles on those respectful sites, Ružička would be Ružička and not Ruzicka. I wish the two big leagues' sites, KHL.ru and NHL.com, were similarly careful. Software can be programmed so that it automatically inserts the correct diacritics into player names; you type Ruzicka, and it auto-corrects it to Ružička. It's not obligatory, but it would certainly be nice, if the two sites wish to be perceived as international, rather than just English-language sites.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad