GDT: Kazakhstan vs. Russia, Feb. 18, 11.30AM Torino, 5.30AM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn_kemp*

Kaizer said:
Well, atleast they didn't miss them with Iran :sarcasm:

Afghanistan anyone? :sarcasm:

The Soviet Union finally defeated Afghanistan!!! It took over 25 years, but here it is, the victory is ours! 1-0! :sarcasm:

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
It's starting to look like Krikunov is not a very good coach.

1. we now have 2 "too many men on the ice" penalties in just 3 games. that's inexcusable and this penalty is usuall attributed to the team's coach. how can he tell the players to be more disciplined and take less penalty when he screws up like this himself?

2. the team's powerplay has been atrocious. and i'm not even talking about today's game against Kazakhstan, but the tournament as a whole. a team with as much skill as Russia should be lethal with a man advantage. today they had 2 men advantage 4 times and came up with 0 goals. horrible.

3. none of Russia's players can be accused of not trying out there. they all worked hard on every shift and gave it their all. yet, we beat Kazakhstan 1:0. I'm sorry, but if you are playing your game and everybody is doing their best, it really doesn't matter how Kazakhstan plays because whatever they do, a team with Russia's skill should be winning the game handily if they are all giving their 100%

4. the whole Bryzgalov vs Krikunov thing. at the same time as everyone says that to win we will have to build a team spirit and be together, Krikunov goes out and blames the loss to Slovakia on Bryzgalov, puts him in the press box for the next game and embarasses him in front of the media.

-----

The coaching staff that we have here in Torino is the best that Russia has to offer probably, but it's clearly not enough.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
MOGiLNY said:
It's starting to look like Krikunov is not a very good coach.

1. we now have 2 "too many men on the ice" penalties in just 3 games. that's inexcusable and this penalty is usuall attributed to the team's coach. how can he tell the players to be more disciplined and take less penalty when he screws up like this himself?

2. the team's powerplay has been atrocious. and i'm not even talking about today's game against Kazakhstan, but the tournament as a whole. a team with as much skill as Russia should be lethal with a man advantage. today they had 2 men advantage 4 times and came up with 0 goals. horrible.

3. none of Russia's players can be accused of not trying out there. they all worked hard on every shift and gave it their all. yet, we beat Kazakhstan 1:0. I'm sorry, but if you are playing your game and everybody is doing their best, it really doesn't matter how Kazakhstan plays because whatever they do, a team with Russia's skill should be winning the game handily if they are all giving their 100%

4. the whole Bryzgalov vs Krikunov thing. at the same time as everyone says that to win we will have to build a team spirit and be together, Krikunov goes out and blames the loss to Slovakia on Bryzgalov, puts him in the press box for the next game and embarasses him in front of the media.

-----

The coaching staff that we have here in Torino is the best that Russia has to offer probably, but it's clearly not enough.

1) Well, I haven't seen this game yet, but the first too many man was bogus.

2) No news here, it's been like this for 20 years

3) OK, you are not saying anything in 3), I don't see the point

4) Have too agree here, but I think it's not the first time they are at it. Didn't they have something last year?

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
SIBIR said:
IMO it wouldn't be a horror if Morozov would replace Frolov, but Taratukhin??
And what's wrong with Taratukhin ? He played well at Eurotour stages. He's good player for 4th line and PK. You can't replace Frolov but he's good choice, Imo.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Kaizer said:
And what's wrong with Taratukhin ? He played well at Eurotour stages. He's good player for 4th line and PK. You can't replace Frolov but he's good choice, Imo.

He has the most penalties on hes team :teach: :rant:

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Pretty scary game for us, but hey, the most important thing is that team Russia got the 2 pts. We have to aknowledge that Yeremeyev played a heck of a game (49 saves!); he should have played like that against the Swedes not us :)

The Good:

Nabokov is mistake-free so far. Knock on wood. Defense is solid. Most of the forwards played very well defensively: Datsyuk, Frolov, Malkin, and Kharitonov would drop back and prevent several odd-man rushes against Nabokov. Penalty killing has been solid for us also.

The Bad:

Our PP really sucks. I think that even Italy would have scored at least one time out of four on 5 on 3s. That was pretty embarrassing!

Turnovers by Kovalchuk.

Frolov's injury is devastating. It sucks! Taratukhin will have to step up.

Conclusion: Defense and goaltending were the two biggest concerns before the tournament started, but since game two our D and G have carried us. This team is loaded with offensive talent, so
it'll find its scoring touch when needed.

SIBIR

Dec 9, 2003
Berlin - Novosibirsk
Kaizer said:

nothing is wrong with Taratukhin. didn't see much of him. but what is wrong with best scorer in RSL?
Morozov played already in Nagano. Taratukhin only in EuroTours games.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
CSKA said:
He has the most penalties on hes team :teach: :rant:
Just looked at his stats ? :D He had 20+5 in 8:3 win and 10+2 on the last minutes of 4:2 win. Eh ?
Do you know that Taratukhin is 3rd in Eurotour 's scoring only behind Su-33 and Kharitonov ?

PS. Just stop bashing players if their name doesn't tell you a lot. Lets see him in game. We already have 6mil. wonder in first line that only polutes air and adds nothing.

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
Whoa, what happened? I just woke up, dudes. The Swiss beat Canucks??? :eek: :eek: :eek: What??? After they beat the Czechs??? :eek: :eek: :eek: Wow. That's crazy. And now I read that Kazakhstan had all chances to steal a point from us? Wow. This is an insane tournament. Sweden is gang-banging Latvia, as expected after debacle against Russia.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Shurimor said:
Pretty scary game for us, but hey, the most important thing is that team Russia got the 2 pts. We have to aknowledge that Yeremeyev played a heck of a game (49 saves!); he should have played like that against the Swedes not us :)

The Good:

Nabokov is mistake-free so far. Knock on wood. Defense is solid. Most of the forwards played very well defensively: Datsyuk, Frolov, Malkin, and Kharitonov would drop back and prevent several odd-man rushes against Nabokov. Penalty killing has been solid for us also.

The Bad:

Our PP really sucks. I think that even Italy would have scored at least one time out of four on 5 on 3s. That was pretty embarrassing!

Turnovers by Kovalchuk.

Frolov's injury is devastating. It sucks! Taratukhin will have to step up.

Conclusion: Defense and goaltending were the two biggest concerns before the tournament started, but since game two our D and G have carried us. This team is loaded with offensive talent, so
it'll find its scoring touch when needed.

I don't know if the D was so good today, it gave up enough shots to a team with very bad offense to receive a bad grade.. Nabokov has been bulletproof, but I think our D is still shaky. But yeah, I agree, its two points, that'll have to do..

If Frolov is out, that sucks big-time, no doubt... And Kovalchuk has played progressively worse in every single game. Probably, there are no easy answers to this, I think its mostly up to him. Today he just played horribly, continuous turnovers - he did not give the 1st line a chance to create anything..

At this point, I would not blame the coaches if they can't get Kovalchuk going, that may be an impossible riddle, but they have to improve the PP - this is their job, and they better get to work on it. In the worst case, I would not mind seeing them simplify everything and do it like Canada - two people in front, and a continuous barrage of shots... as good as our guys are individually, it just does not look like it will click on the PP for us if we play the same way... Like I said, this is where the coaches have to make a difference.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
shawn_kemp said:
What's the point of finishing 1st if the Czechs finish 4th in group A? :propeller

Good point, with Swiss probably finishing 2nd in group A, and Canada/Czechs probably 3rd & 4th, it really will jumble up the seedings.

I think if there's any advantage, it may be in Semifinal round, because winner of 1B-4A will play 2A-3B (most likely Swiss vs. Sweden). Drawing the winner of Sweden-Swiss in semifinal is about as good a matchup as you can hope for, and better than playing Finland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->