GDT: Kazakhstan vs. Russia, Feb. 18, 11.30AM Torino, 5.30AM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn_kemp*

OMG the PP is way tooooo static. Even Kazakhstan's PP is more dangerous!

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
As far as Kovalchuk goes, he looks pretty lost out there. Whenever he gets the puck, he's always in an uncomortable position with it and he just floats around there without much purpose.

I think it's because his line is not playing on him. I mean Datsyuk and Kovalev don't just concentrate on getting the puck to Ilia, and it seems that he needs everyone to pass to him in order to be successful.

Maybe a line shakeup is in order. I'd keep the Malkin and Yashin lines in tact, but maybe we can move up Frolov to the top line and play Kovalchuk with Kozlov and Korolyuk (KKK line???)...

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
You know, after watching Su-Ma-Kha line 3rd game in a row I start to think that having Morozov-Zinovjev-Zaripov line instead of some suckers isn't that bad idea.

shawn_kemp*

Jesus Christ, this is pathetic. Endless 5 on 3 and they just can't create any serious offense. Shoot the damn puck, pass it left and right, fake some shots!

On the other hand Yeremeyev is playing strong, and he probably knows the Russians well, especially Krikunov's strategy.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Watching this game, I must say, Afinogenov is frustrating. He has great wheels and that's about it.

You can also tell the players for Russia haven't played together much. Plenty of chances to pass, but trying to do a little too much themselves.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Really i think Latvia is MUCH stronger than Kasachstan. I hope our team wakes up ! Oh boy we need some line changes thats fro sure !

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
end of 2nd.
no flow to game. lots of hits, hooks, grabs, penalties. everything is clogged.

russia's PP isn't scoring, even on the several 5 on 3's. kovalchuk would have scored if not for a bad pass. russians have hit 2-3 posts.

malkin has been russia's best player! :bow: that hit was great--definitely shouldn't have been a penalty. i think it may well be true that malkin is better than ovechkin. he's a great passer, excellent stickhandler, throws hits, and is good on defense and PK. and he's so thin. if he were big like ovechkin, he could be the next lindros.

russians have shot themselves in foot a few times. they take a couple of dumb penalties while on PP. i don't know why afinogenov is on the PP. :shakehead

russians were robbed at the end of 2nd. d markov's G should have counted. should have been delayed penalty, but ref whistled it anyway.

kovalchuk hasn't looked good today either. but russia has been on PP so much in 2nd that it has been hard to tell how everyone is playing.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Siberian said:
Kovalchuk just can't perform in big games. He is like Alfredsson - good regular season scorer.
Kovalchuks is more like Markus Näslund. They both can't perform on big ice. Alfredsson usually delivers. He did so vs. Kazakstan.

As for the game, if Russia refuses to crash the net and screen the stellar goalie, they won't score. They don't want to get dirty and it'll cost them.

No easy breakaway goals this game. No screen on the PP as vs. Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad