GDT: GDT: Game 17 | Columbus Blue Jackets @ Detroit Red Wings| 7:30 PM EST | FS-D

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
You make some really good points...many of us thought that Babcock would have started Gustavsson against the Blue Jackets but it did not happen...I really would like to see what Gustavsson can do with a start and not just in relief of Howard. Unless Gustavsson has a 50 save shutout, I don't see Babcock rolling with him...Babcock seems very stuck in his ways and player preferences.

I dunno, he replaced Osgood with Howard during Howard's rookie season. My guess is he was expecting Jimmy to get back into game shape within 8-10 games. That obviously isn't happening. 24 shots against is good defense and Howard was just bad on two of those goals. I really do think he'll give Gustavsson a start and if Monster plays well he could get a few starts in a row. Hopefully that spurs Howard to start playing better when he see the writing on the wall as far as having to compete for the starting spot.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
if you really wan cleary and abby in the top 6 spread them out at least.

z-clear-flip next line dats, abby and brunner :scared: look balance

lkleung007

Jun 11, 2012
I dunno, he replaced Osgood with Howard during Howard's rookie season. My guess is he was expecting Jimmy to get back into game shape within 8-10 games. That obviously isn't happening. 24 shots against is good defense and Howard was just bad on two of those goals. I really do think he'll give Gustavsson a start and if Monster plays well he could get a few starts in a row. Hopefully that spurs Howard to start playing better when he see the writing on the wall as far as having to compete for the starting spot.

Let's see if Babcock starts Gustavsson tomorrow against Nashville...Gustavsson was Toronto's best goalie last year and had better stats than Howard this year with a bad defense in front of him...because of his contract and the fact that Toronto committed to Reimer for the next 3 years...Gustavsson was not resigned.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
if you really wan cleary and abby in the top 6 spread them out at least.

z-clear-flip next line dats, abby and brunner :scared: look balance

Does anyone REALLY want both guys there? Even with all the injuries, I think there are better options available. At least Abby's work ethic has really stuck out the last few games, so with no Mule to be had, I'm okay with him there as long as there's someone with some measure of offensive ability on the other side.... which is the problem named Dan Cleary.

Pavel has to have zero confidence in either guy that if he creates a passing lane and sets them up, that either guy will do anything productive with the puck. Abby's at least been effective along the boards, but ol' #11 isn't bringing anything positive to that line. Just banish him to the 4th line and be done with it already, Babs.

doublejack

Feb 11, 2004
Detroit
Well, my first and last game of the season. The team is very mediocre. I was very impressed with Brunner, he stands out. He's the top line winger we have been looking for since Hossa was snubbed. Otherwise I don't have much positive to say.

We need steadier goaltending to assess this team. So far goaltending has been a big problem.

The problems this team has are, in order

1. Defense
2. Special Teams
3. Goaltending

I said this summer Howard, and whoever else was in net for us, will be more exposed than before. It is holding true. The D is really bad. Barring someone like Hasek in his prime, whoever we have in net is going to suffer for it. That's just how it goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad