Post-Game Talk: GDT: Flambé @ Ovi-less Cupitals - 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Good W.

Kuzya deserved the GWG, was all over the place. Bottom 6 with 2 goals, that was nice too.

The flames feed are they serious? ahaha what's she talking about.
The whole thing started at the end because of Backstrom beeing cross checked with more or less 25 seconds to go and no reaction by refs.

The only - is the Eller injury.

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He did what Ovechkin and Oshie did the game before. It happens
It was quite a bit different. He left his spot to go for a hit in the neutral zone and missed putting Siegenthaler in a vulnerable position. He ran into Wilson in the process.
When Oshie and Ovi ran into each other they were both puck watching.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Look, no offense, but you are comparing a 6 on 5 units. One group is naturally going to be grittier guys. Lindholm, Gaudreau, and Monahan are not those guys, but I didn't see the likes of Kuznetsov, Carlson or Vrana out there for you guys.

Our team has plenty of "big boys" - Bennett, Tkachuk, Neal, Hamonic, Hathaway are made for these kind of games. They just were not out there on that one specific sequence other than one guy.

Additionally, your team clearly wanted this game more on a whole, which was to be expected.

Fair point about what personnel is out on the ice down a goal... no offense but your grit guys are soft as tissue compared to battle proven warriors like Ovi Oshie Orpik Backy and Willy. Most of which are out down a goal, and up.

All your top skill cough softies will need to buy in and play like a team and show that they care for each other... show cup grade camaraderie. The way your sole proper grit guy Tkachuk already does, for the Flames to not flame out and win a cup. Hopefully we will see you in the finals to keep those lessons coming. It may take a few big dances for everyone to figure it out but tonights ending was great for the Flames to see what they need to do. The Caps are kind of a throwback team, not winning by sheer speed and finesse that it seems the league and Bentman prefers.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It was quite a bit different. He left his spot to go for a hit in the neutral zone and missed putting Siegenthaler in a vulnerable position. He ran into Wilson in the process.

Siggy put himself into a vulnerable position. The only reason Orpik felt it was safe to go for a mid ice thump was because Siggy was back and in great position. His big long slow sweep check at... air is what caused him to get out of position. He blew a 1 on 1 - it happens to the kids. Lesson learned.

For Orpik. Siggy is not ready to always be trusted left on an island by himself. Orpik will probably test him a few more times to continue his world class mentoring he has been doing in DC.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just watched the condensed game. Questions.
1. What happened to Eller?
2. Several comments here about how Smith stinks. Which of those goals against him shouldn't have scored?

Observations

Kuzy looked like Kuzy. Thought Kuzy was a sign of how well Smith played
Eller looked great.
In the condensed game at least I didn't see a lot of their stars. Saw Reirden's post game saying that Nick was assigned that line. That explains Stephenson.
Backlund slew footed Backstrom on that last penalty which explains why Backstrom was so pissed at the end of the game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Siggy put himself into a vulnerable position. The only reason Orpik felt it was safe to go for a mid ice thump was because Siggy was back and in great position. His big long slow sweep check at... air is what caused him to get out of position. He blew a 1 on 1 - it happens to the kids. Lesson learned.

For Orpik. Siggy is not ready to always be trusted left on an island by himself. Orpik will probably test him a few more times to continue his world class mentoring he has been doing in DC.

The step up hit is as risky as the step up offensive pinch. Oprik's job is to step up and hurt guys(not injure). He stepped up. Seigenthaler was where he needed to be for a one on one defend. He let his gap go bad. Then he reached. Then he got schooled.

This was NOT on Brooks Orpik

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
When Oshie and Ovi ran into each other they were both puck watching.

Exactly the same. Ovechkin was going for the big hit and things changed and he ran into Oshie. Both Orpik and Ovechkin. Their job description involves destruction. Its what they are tasked to do. There is no way that Backlund should have used up Seigenthaler like that.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Exactly the same. Ovechkin was going for the big hit and things changed and he ran into Oshie. Both Orpik and Ovechkin. Their job description involves destruction. Its what they are tasked to do. There is no way that Backlund should have used up Seigenthaler like that.
It wasnt exactly the same. Ovi was on a back check. Neither guy made a poor decision defensively.
On the play lastnight Orpik left his area vacant going for a hit. He didnt play it well. Going for a hit isnt always the right play if you bend up out of position. And I'm a guy that loves big hits. When you get out of position like that bad things can happen even if the hit was made.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It wasnt exactly the same. Ovi was on a back check. Neither guy made a poor decision defensively.
On the play lastnight Orpik left his area vacant going for a hit. He didnt play it well. Going for a hit isnt always the right play if you bend up out of position. And I'm a guy that loves big hits. When you get out of position like that bad things can happen even if the hit was made.

No. He left his vacant area, which is why he left it.
My bad. I forgot that disagreeing with you is a fools errand. Next?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So, my reading indicates that Eller was injured already when the game started and had to give it up. You guys didn't see it. Right?

The interesting comment was Reirden post game talking about the training/medical staff, "They caught it early". That is something you say about an illness. They caught that he had an injury early?

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I only saw highlights, but Kuzy was all over them. Did he have a good game overall?

IMO he's one of the keys to the team, so I'm excited to see him playing well.
He had a good game in O-zone, played 24:36 and after the game said he likes more responsabilty and thinks Caps will start to play better and better. It's just saddens me that he steps up only when teams need this more, he should have this motivation a bit more often.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
q6Vo48X.gif
Nicky says "That's for Rene Bourque f***ing me up years ago. I hate the flaming C"

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Nicky says "That's for Rene Bourque ****ing me up years ago. I hate the flaming C"

Nick subtly destroyed the poor schlub. I like Orpik in that same gif slashing sticks away. I am surprised more players don't go all out fearless of penalties in the last few seconds of a game. Especially defensemen in front. If you are a player that cannot hold onto your stick, you will never be a key cog on a cup winner.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
He had a good game in O-zone, played 24:36 and after the game said he likes more responsabilty and thinks Caps will start to play better and better. It's just saddens me that he steps up only when teams need this more, he should have this motivation a bit more often.

I guess Kuzy wont handle it physically - playing 100+ games in full engagement mode.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
So, my reading indicates that Eller was injured already when the game started and had to give it up. You guys didn't see it. Right?

The interesting comment was Reirden post game talking about the training/medical staff, "They caught it early". That is something you say about an illness. They caught that he had an injury early?

All I recall was Joe B saying during the broadcast that Eller left the ice(during his last shift) under his own power and when he got to the bench, he immediately went straight to the locker room. He and Laughlin both said they hadnt seen Eller get hurt and seemed as puzzled as we were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad