GDT: Canada-Sweden, 3:30 p.m Local Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Leafaholix said:
Shea Weber is an animal.

At one point on the PK he was clearing 2 or 3 guys from in front of his net.

He should ease up on the stickwork...or at least look a little less surprised when he gets penalized.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
He should ease up on the stickwork...or at least look a little less surprised when he gets penalized.

Agreed, he does have a tendency to be a little over agressive at times, but otherwise has been rock solid. Looks like a good one, just needs to use a little more control at times.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Leafaholix said:
I disagree, Phaneuf has yet to make a boneheaded play.

Both have been equally great.

I noticed a few plays (mostly in the first game), where he made some poor decisions. One, if I recall, was he did not play a 1-on-1 very well and another where he failed to clear the zone on a routine play. His play today on the 5-on-3, however, more than makes up for it.

I may be overanalyzing small gaffs, however, as he is the most highly-touted guy on Canada aside from Crosby.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
markov` said:
Weber is the nastiest junior defenseman I've ever seen.

He is actaully playing soft so far compared to how he usually plays in the WHL .. The Refs do not let alot go so he is careful ....

While with the Rockets you can set your watch to the number of thundering bodychecks he throws in a game and on that play today were he cleared the crease of all players and took a penalty .. Well that is PG version of the R rated usual performance ..

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
I disagree, Phaneuf has yet to make a boneheaded play.

Both have been equally great.

I like Phaneuf a lot but you missed some plays i think. In this very last game, he was the one who made the mistake on the only Sweden goal, he had no business in back of the net that fast, not at all. And even if he's one of my favorite defensive prospects of this tournament, he made the baddest play of all Canadian def. in a 1 on 1 of this tourny (although it was only 1 - 1 on 1). (he was totally owned in one of the 2 pre-game, cant remember who beat him honestly).

He's great but he's not perfect in his own zone in anyways.

chicpea*

Anksun said:
I like Phaneuf a lot but you missed some plays i think. In this very last game, he was the one who made the mistake on the only Sweden goal, he had no business in back of the net that fast, not at all.
That's true, he was a bit quick on the draw, but Dixon or Fraser (or whoever the F was on that side) has to take note and come back to cover the crease for him. Still, he played an amazing game, especially that sequence in the 2nd where it seemed like he was on the ice for about eight minutes!

Anksun said:
And even if he's one of my favorite defensive prospects of this tournament, he made the baddest play of all Canadian def. in a 1 on 1 of this tourny (although it was only 1 - 1 on 1). (he was totally owned in one of the 2 pre-game, cant remember who beat him honestly).

I think it was Korpikoski, and yes it was bad.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Unbiased Canadian said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Anyone here who *doesn't* think Crosby will score?
I'm not one of them.

Unbiased Canadian
I'll take that bet!!! Remember....odds are he won't score a goal every game.

Unbiased Canadian

UC, wheeeere aaaaaare yooooou?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Riddarn said:
Assuming Linus Persson is out of the tournament - can Team Sweden fly in some extra guy to play the rest of the tournament?

I don't think so. Last year Finland lost Korpikari during the tournament and after that Finland played with 6 defenseman (and part of the bronze medal game with 5 as there was another injury)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
ES said:
I don't think so. Last year Finland lost Korpikari during the tournament and after that Finland played with 6 defenseman (and part of the bronze medal game with 5 as there was another injury)

Once 22 players have been named to the roster, no more can be added.

That's why Canada played the first game with a 20 man roster. Colliton and Seabrook were injured, so they didn't add them until they had to. If something went wrong they still could have brought someone in.

Now they have added them and Colliton is hurt again, so they are stuck.

I'm sure Sweden came over with a full roster so they won't be able to add anyone now.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
What a shame ! Nothing has been done to the juniorhockey in Sweden the last 10 years, countries like Canada, Russia, Finland and Czech Rep are miles ahead.... :banghead:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Maelmoor said:
What a shame ! Nothing has been done to the juniorhockey in Sweden the last 10 years, countries like Canada, Russia, Finland and Czech Rep are miles ahead.... :banghead:

That is true, and Sweden has made pretty much zero progress over the past few years however they have a very young team this year that can still finish second in the group. Next year, I can see Sweden being amongst the elite teams in this tournament.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Maelmoor said:

Don't forget the U.S. who have made the most strides of anyone in junior hockey.

But during the game Miller and McGuire mentioned some things that Sweden is doing to try and improve their juniors. Such as having all junior aged players who are on the 4th lines of senior teams being sent back to junior (more playing time, more responsibility etc.).

Perhaps they should try and follow the Slovakian example and try and send as many players as they can to the CHL. Freddie Sjostrom is the only high profile Swede that has really ever come over the pond for junior. I understand that the Swedes are very loyal, but perhaps if they want to get their juniors better, they ned to change their surroundings. The SEL and Swedish hockey has been set on systems and tactics for years, perhaps they could do well going into leaues where they are more able to show their skills.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Roughneck said:
Perhaps they should try and follow the Slovakian example and try and send as many players as they can to the CHL. Freddie Sjostrom is the only high profile Swede that has really ever come over the pond for junior. I understand that the Swedes are very loyal, but perhaps if they want to get their juniors better, they ned to change their surroundings. The SEL and Swedish hockey has been set on systems and tactics for years, perhaps they could do well going into leaues where they are more able to show their skills.

Not going to happen. The general concesus here is, that its a loss for swedish hockey if a swedish player decides to go over the pond when he is still young.

Im one of those people who think we are still doing ok. Swedish system is built on depth and the juniors sits on the bench in SEL to learn in this age. Therefor we have lots and lots of latebloomers. And if you have an enough depth, your able to produce good players. They won´t give us any medals in their juniors, but they might as seniors.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Getzlaf managed to get a goal and an assist yesterday, but this is two games in a row where he has struggled on the ice. The line definately had the most time, but he continued to get penalties and shut down momentum in the first period, similar to what happened in the 2nd/3rd period of Game 1.

I was kind of confused how Getzlaf's line continued to be the #1 PP unit throughout the game, especially with Crosby's icetime so low in the game. After the first PP where Carter dominated and scored, their unit wasn't nearly as successful at controlling the puck, but I thought all three of the PCB line did a great job of controlling the puck on the PP.

Richards was awesome, that was an incredible performance. And having Seabrook back in the lineup, I really appreciate his game even more now. I liked him as a player, but I questioned keeping him on the team and sending Quincy home so late once he wasn't ready to go for the start of the tournament, but he came back after missing over a week and was dominant. He really helped out the defense with his ability to handle the puck.

Glass played a lot better. You definately cannot fault him for that PP goal as that was some very clean, quick, passing and a nice shot that got up quick. After that he had a few moments early on where he looked confused with the puck when it was around him, but then the shots stopped coming, and when they did he wasn't going to let anything get past him.

Excellent game for Team Canada. It isn't good to run up the score on lesser opponents, but I think Canada really needs to send a message to Russia, the Czech's, Team USA, and even Slovakia again, and put together another performance like this against Germany.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Well,I actually thought Getzlaf played well in the first period.But yeah why is that
line getting all the powerplay time.Crosby had less than 3 mins. of Canada's over 10
mins. of powerplay time.Maybe Sutter doesn't think he's very effective on the
powerplay :lol .

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
I think the Crosby-Bergeron-Perry line got little powerplay time because it seemed that penalties were either called right after a long shift by them or during a long shift by them. So Sutter went with the Carter line, who always managed to keep a lot of pressure in the offensive zone so no need, or chance, for a line change.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Anksun said:
I like Phaneuf a lot but you missed some plays i think. In this very last game, he was the one who made the mistake on the only Sweden goal, he had no business in back of the net that fast, not at all. And even if he's one of my favorite defensive prospects of this tournament, he made the baddest play of all Canadian def. in a 1 on 1 of this tourny (although it was only 1 - 1 on 1). (he was totally owned in one of the 2 pre-game, cant remember who beat him honestly).

He's great but he's not perfect in his own zone in anyways.

On the play you're talking, it's not Phaneuf's fault. The strategy for Canada's PK is to put pressure on the puck carrier, it was Dixon's job to cover the man in front of the net.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Like the calls..

leafs4thecup said:
The awful refereeing goes both ways.

That grossman call at the end was horrendous. Perry clearly fell.

There were a couple of iffy calls, like the one late when Perry fell and Grossman got the call. But, overall, I liked the fact that they were call the slash at the wrists. I know that we keep harping on all referees to call the games according to the rules, so we shouldn't be complaining when they do.

The NHL was calling those slashes closely for a while, then stopped doing it. They have to learn to be more like the NFL, in that when they focus on something, they are committed to it for the whole season, like the Holding and Illegal hands calls on DB's this year. You'll get some ticky tack calls here and there, but it does send a message that you're going to call it.

Of course, one reason I think it's easier to keep up those calls in the NFL is that each official is in charge of a certain area of the field, so they aren't constantly on the move. That, and if they don't throw a flag and do throw a flag, the play generally is over (I'm talking mainly the Pass Interfence, Illegal contact calls). In hockey the play keeps going for a while and if a team feels cheated they try to push the envelope in their favor and the game can begin to get out of hand.

Also, I don't see too much arguing over calls in the NFL. The player has his beef for a few seconds and then refocuses for the next play. There's too much whining in the NHL. Guess, that's partically due to the fact the player has 2 minutes to stew about it, as opposed to having to continue playing the game right away.

espo*

Team Canada had a great game yesterday.Other than their skating in the first period(which was a tad sluggish) they dominated and sent a message.Even the undisipline that caused us so much penalty problems was turned into a positive because we did a great job on the p.k and it energized the whole team and gave glass the opportuinity to have to make some saves on quality shots. Glass looked o.k and he should be able to build his confidence from that a fair amount. Things look good right now,there is room for improvement i think.....especially on defense partner passing when a forechecker is attacking but that stuff should get sharper each game.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
The Albino said:
I think the Crosby-Bergeron-Perry line got little powerplay time because it seemed that penalties were either called right after a long shift by them or during a long shift by them. So Sutter went with the Carter line, who always managed to keep a lot of pressure in the offensive zone so no need, or chance, for a line change.
What game were you watching?The CBP line had 2 shifts that lasted a minute, all
the rest were less.Twice Crosby drew penalties 15 or 20 seconds into his shift
and didn't get to take the powerplay.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
pei fan said:
What game were you watching?The CBP line had 2 shifts that lasted a minute, all
the rest were less.Twice Crosby drew penalties 15 or 20 seconds into his shift
and didn't get to take the powerplay.

Same game as you. The line got very little time due to all the penalty killing Canada had to do, and whenever a penalty was called in their favor it seemed the Crosby line had just gotten off or had drawn the penalty. I doubt Sutter had any underlying intentions keeping his top scoring line on the bench during most of the powerplay opportunities, that's just the way the chips fell during the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad