GDT: Bettman's 1PM EST Press Conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
ChiHawks468 said:
Melrose just point blank asked Bettman if the league would have agreed to a deal if the PA had countered with 45MIL this morning...Gary's answer would have made Fred Aistare proud!

for those of us reading at work... what was Gary's answer?

Anthony*

he danced around the question because it would be stupid to answer it directly

JPL

May 23, 2003
Oulu — Finland
Visit site
Shame to be a Finn. "When did you watch your last hockey game?" What was the point? I missed it. Nice to send some guy >10 000 miles in to NY to make himself a clown. And only European press member... Why he did'nt ask something about players in Europe or competing with Russia etc. Damn... Should have been there myself ;)

Bettmann made himself very clear. (I would say, crystal clear). :dunce: Union can't win this anymore. They wont get same sort of paper next year. I'm sure of it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I for one am buying season tickets for the first time, and am going to try to do so today.

Good for the league, for sticking to their guns and hopefully breaking this union down. I want to see hockey at least as much as the next person on this board, but can easily sacrifice the farce of a spectical of a 28 game season and stanley cup run if it means getting a system into place that will fix the sports problems. Do you think that I am happy that baseball caved in 2002 and that I ended up seeing a handful of extra games and a crappy product for the years following and us doing it all over again in 2006, and many years to come most likely? That was some trade off, wasn't it? Get it fixed, get it right, and I am not only with you but am putting my money where my mouth is.

ATLANTARANGER*

Does gary Bettman think we are all dumb?

when asked why they couldn't bridge the $6.5M, bettman said, OH! It's not $6.5M, it is closer to 180-200M, there are 30 teams! B.S.!
What he is saying is that all of a sudden all 30 teams were going to be at the max, 49M! What a load of crap and not one reporter said anything to him. That 6M was going to impact maybe 5 to 6 teams. There were still going to be teams paying 20M. gary was right though about one thing, when he said " I just don't get it!" Right on the money!

two out of three*

The PA lost.. They cannot win anymore. Especially if Bettman really will go back to linkage. The PA will not get a better offer from them.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Jaded-Fan said:
I for one am buying season tickets for the first time, and am going to try to do so today.

Good for the league, for sticking to their guns and hopefully breaking this union down. I want to see hockey at least as much as the next person on this board, but can easily sacrifice the farce of a spectical of a 28 game season and stanley cup run if it means getting a system into place that will fix the sports problems. Do you think that I am happy that baseball caved in 2002 and that I ended up seeing a handful of extra games and a crappy product for the years following and us doing it all over again in 2006, and many years to come most likely? That was some trade off, wasn't it? Get it fixed, get it right, and I am not only with you but am putting my money where my mouth is.
If the nhl union gets *****, it will naturally weaken the mlb union. There will be a lot of pressure to accept a cap.

TheBudsForever

May 5, 2002
Visit site
Piss On The Players, Owners, Bettman and Goodenow ...

It's like an ongoing soap opera involving actors with I.Q.'s under 100.

There was and is a deal at $45 million with a luxury tax. Only some teams in the NHL would hit that max with a 24% rollback ... most won't. Honestly, if you can't be competitive with a $38 million payroll v. a $45 million payroll, that's a reflection on not being able to go the extra mile to draft better talent with high round draft pics if you're club isn't doing so well.

$45 million is fair to the players as well. If they can't accept that, go play in Europe for half the money or less.

If the owners can't accept $45 million, then let the strike continue and let a few teams go under.

What a circus of fools!

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
Jaded-Fan said:

I agree with this whole heartedly and have been sayin it all along. If I have to sastify my hockey fox for now, I'll buy beer league Central Hockey League games over the net for now.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Fish on The Sand said:
If the nhl union gets *****, it will naturally weaken the mlb union. There will be a lot of pressure to accept a cap.

MLB has perhaps the strongest union in America, literally. The NHLPA's plight has no bearing on them.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
MLB has perhaps the strongest union in America, literally. The NHLPA's plight has no bearing on them.

Exactly. The MLB union is unstoppable. Donald Fehr and the players are all united and its paid off big time. The NHLPA is unorganized and I actually felt bad for the players that towed the line for so long only for the NHLPA to lose their spine and offer a cap. What a freaking joke.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I've been pretty neutral\VERY slightly pro owner throughout this whole thing...but if I'm Goodenow\the NHLPA, I get on my knees and BEG Bettman to let us accept the last offer TOMORROW MORNING. I think they're greatly, greatly underestimating the resolve of the league this time around and I don't think they thought the owners would actually have the marbles to can the whole thing. This could be a very, very bad move for the players in the long run..and sadly...most of them realize it and could do nothing about it.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
Exactly. The MLB union is unstoppable. Donald Fehr and the players are all united and its paid off big time. The NHLPA is unorganized and I actually felt bad for the players that towed the line for so long only for the NHLPA to lose their spine and offer a cap. What a freaking joke.

It's not just the strength the the MLB union, it's also the weakness of the MLB owners.

The MLB union knows that it has Steinbrenner on its side, and that's a HUGE chip.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:
It's not just the strength the the MLB union, it's also the weakness of the MLB owners.

The MLB union knows that it has Steinbrenner on its side, and that's a HUGE chip.
There's also the fact that the owners' possess an antitrust exemption that they could lose in court if the union wanted to bring it there. The union holds that over their head, as it was deemed many years ago that baseball, bein the "national pasttime" (now technically football), was entertainment and not business. That exemption keeps the owners from havin to abide by many labor rules otherwise.

As for the pro-players faction out there sayin the owners could have kept the salaries down by not agreeing to demands. One owner doin it is one thing. We have that In Chicago and Boston primarily. But 30 owners doin that is called collusion. Ask the MLB owners about it. This situation is strictly from the players side, and even then I believe the union's nonplayer, paid hierarchy such as Goodenow. There are many things wrong with this league financially and as a sport right now, but the finances are way more important than the play presently, as there won't be a league without a completely profitable group of teams.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
I have not seen, heard, or read any comments from Linden. It seems odd to me that after all his effort to try and bring these two sides together, he would have some comment on the cancellation of the season. He looked like he would rather be cleaning the hotel bathrooms than walking to his seat at the PC.

Anyway, just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->