GDT: GDT #3 New York Islanders vs New Jersey Devils | October 20th | 7:30 PM | F/OTL 5-4

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Couple of stupid penalties that were out of the ordinary. The Devils are so fast they will draw a ton of penalties. The isles gotta get a bit more speed in the lineup. Hopefully tomorrow Gauthier and Wahlstrom get in the lineup.

The bottom 6 has been awful. Some lineup changes there would be welcome.

Reactions: MJF and Taswell

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Outside of the obvious, surrendering four goals on the PK… the Devils passing vs the Isles seems the difference in this game and these teams in general.

Devils clean passing allows them to keep up their speed, and play with pace. Lindy Ruff is a good coach for this style. Devils look like those post 2004/2005 lockout Drury/Briere Sabres.

Meanwhile, Isles often are floating passes high or wide. Receiving player has to often correct to receive the pass. This kills any momentum.

EDIT: 2004/2005 lockout

Last edited:
Reactions: Osakahaus and MJF

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Entertaining game, but that PK is the worst ever. Good to come back three times and salvage a late point. Shows they are in it and never giving up, but their lack of speed is showing. Devils could've scored a good few more.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I can't complain. Gutsy effort to get a point. Gotta stay out of the box against these skills competition teams. If they took one less penalty, they would've won the game.

Penalties aside, I thought the 4th line was ok. It was the 3rd line that I thought was trash all night. They were a poor match up against the speed of the Devils.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I’ll take the point. Last season, first game against the devils, isles didn’t get a shot on goal until 15 mins in. Much better game last night.

Reactions: Lek

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I wonder why Lambert wouldn't have switched out Fasching and put in Gauthier for the Devs? Seems like an obvious thing to put in the fast winger with size against a skating team. I get the "don't change if you're winning" mentality to a point, but in this case it seems like overly regimented thinking.

Still, they took The Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils to OT, so that's something.

Reactions: Throttle

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
At least we didn’t have to witness a zero goals scored shootout.

#brightside

Reactions: MattMartin

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I wonder why Lambert wouldn't have switched out Fasching and put in Gauthier for the Devs? Seems like an obvious thing to put in the fast winger with size against a skating team. I get the "don't change if you're winning" mentality to a point, but in this case it seems like overly regimented thinking.

Still, they took The Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils to OT, so that's something.

You would also have thought that he would've called a time out during the stoppage in their last power play, but hey, what do I know?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I can't complain. Gutsy effort to get a point. Gotta stay out of the box against these skills competition teams. If they took one less penalty, they would've won the game.

Penalties aside, I thought the 4th line was ok. It was the 3rd line that I thought was trash all night. They were a poor match up against the speed of the Devils.
Its hard to stay out of the box when most of the penalties are restraining fouls because our guy can’t keep up with the Devils skaters.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I will not complain about a point stolen when the isles outplayed NJ 4/1 5v5. Despite this, its evident we miss scotty, and should place Barzy on the PK. I think there is still plenty to fix. Ilya is a massive reason why this game didn't become a blowout, and he played (arguably) his best against NJ. Horvat and Nelson are very good. So is Engvall, Barzal, and surprisingly Aho (Betcha didn't think Aho would be here)

Pulock and Pelech looked off today. We need the 2019-2021 Pelech/Pulock combo back soon.

Reactions: BrockLobster

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I will not complain about a point stolen when the isles outplayed NJ 4/1 5v5. Despite this, its evident we miss scotty, and should place Barzy on the PK. I think there is still plenty to fix. Ilya is a massive reason why this game didn't become a blowout, and he played (arguably) his best against NJ. Horvat and Nelson are very good. So is Engvall, Barzal, and surprisingly Aho (Betcha didn't think Aho would be here)

Pulock and Pelech looked off today. We need the 2019-2021 Pelech/Pulock combo back soon.

Aho was awful, especially early on. I stopped counting his issues because it got too high. An absolute train wreck when defending because he's just tossed around, as per usual with him.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Aho was awful, especially early on. I stopped counting his issues because it got too high. An absolute train wreck when defending because he's just tossed around, as per usual with him.
Guess I watched a different game since he made some smart passes to run the offense. He's not a bad third pair guy. However, the importance of Scotty cannot be understated, especially on the PK. We badly need him back. But still, 5/6 points on a homestand to start the year, and especially against younger, faster teams, is very good.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Guess I watched a different game since he made some smart passes to run the offense. He's not a bad third pair guy. However, the importance of Scotty cannot be understated, especially on the PK. We badly need him back. But still, 5/6 points on a homestand to start the year, and especially against younger, faster teams, is very good.
You can go back in this thread and look at the time stamps to figure out when his issues were. On one play he tried to corral the Devil entering the zone and was promptly put on his ass. Immediately leads to a scoring chance against. It's an unfortunate play if it happens to Pelech because it happens so rarely. It's unacceptable because it happens too much to Aho, including multiple points last night.

To be clear, he's in the proper position on these plays but cannot adequately execute what needs to be done. He's too small and doesn't have the strength or smarts to figure it out.

Reactions: Osakahaus

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
You can go back in this thread and look at the time stamps to figure out when his issues were. On one play he tried to corral the Devil entering the zone and was promptly put on his ass. Immediately leads to a scoring chance against. It's an unfortunate play if it happens to Pelech because it happens so rarely. It's unacceptable because it happens too much to Aho, including multiple points last night.

To be clear, he's in the proper position on these plays but cannot adequately execute what needs to be done. He's too small and doesn't have the strength or smarts to figure it out.
All true. But he has definitely improved his puck handling and decisions when breaking out... something that this team generally lacks.

Now that’s not to say he is any less a liability… but more that it seems that he can look both good and bad depending on what part of his game you focus on.

Personally I’m of the opinion when it comes to the defensive side of hockey, you’re pretty damned by your inabilities. You’re strengths usually have a hard time compensating.

So, hopefully Aho keeps improving to the point he looks like an attractive option in a package to a team looking to move out a better veteran player.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Its hard to stay out of the box when most of the penalties are restraining fouls because our guy can’t keep up with the Devils skaters.
True, but those who took the penalties aren't known for being slugs either; not that they're speed demons, but I think Cizikas and Pelech are more or less average skaters. I think that even if you're a "fast" team, you're still bound to have a bunch of average skaters on your roster. If it were Lee and Martin in the box, then I totally get it.

Offensively, he is what he is. Defensively, he is what he is. You gotta take the decent with the bad when it comes to Aho. Until he's replaced, which can't happen soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad