GDT: 2/3//05 NHL and PA meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
slats432 said:
We were talking about the negotiating abilities of the guys involved...that is on topic. :D

well based on that then I would guess that the only update is that the season has been cancelled, because we'd be fooling ourselves by putting the guys involved and negotiating skills in the same sentence when it comes to Bettman and Goodenow.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
kingsjohn said:
The longer the meeting goes, the better chance of a season

Definately, which rules out the improbable possibility that they are meeting to "confirm" that the season will be canceled, like some people were trying to say last night... only good things are coming from this meeting.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
HabsFanFromPEI said:
i jsut got home....when did the meeting start and is it still going on...ty

meeting has been going on since 12PM EST (4.5 hours ) and isn't over as far as I know. Will they stick to their standard 5 hours and then either say they're meeting again tomorrow or that they "have never been further apart"? Who knows?

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
It has only been 4.5 hours, still a long ways to go before I have any hope. Like I said before they will need to meet for nearly 24 hours, to be close to getting a deal done.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
Finnigan said:
It has only been 4.5 hours, still a long ways to go before I have any hope. Like I said before they will need to meet for nearly 24 hours, to be close to getting a deal done.

I'm fairly certain they're closer to a deal than you think.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
HABSoluteDMB11 said:
well based on that then I would guess that the only update is that the season has been cancelled, because we'd be fooling ourselves by putting the guys involved and negotiating skills in the same sentence when it comes to Bettman and Goodenow.
so why spent 4 hrs today to conclude that?

Old Hickory

Finnigan said:
They can hammer out a CBA in an hour or two once they get past a couple of hurdles

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Chinook said:
Definately, which rules out the improbable possibility that they are meeting to "confirm" that the season will be canceled, like some people were trying to say last night... only good things are coming from this meeting.

That was a proposterous idea in the first place, why in high heaven would they meet just to say, well, the season is over. Bettman can do that by himself without leaving his office, there is obviously some form of discussion continuing and people who thought that this was simply to meet and greet to say "The season is cancelled" weren't looking at it very logically. I personally think there is still a small glimmer of hope that this season can be salvaged and as long as this meeting goes on without ANY reports whatsoever I think that hope remains. There has been not a peep yet, which I think indicates they are locked quite heatedly in some real negotiations, not all this posturing stuff that has composed the majority of the other meetings. Like "NHLPA Representative X emerges to say owners offer is crap!". Notice that isn't happening now.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
westcoast said:
That was a proposterous idea in the first place, why in high heaven would they meet just to say, well, the season is over. Bettman can do that by himself without leaving his office, there is obviously some form of discussion continuing and people who thought that this was simply to meet and greet to say "The season is cancelled" weren't looking at it very logically. I personally think there is still a small glimmer of hope that this season can be salvaged and as long as this meeting goes on without ANY reports whatsoever I think that hope remains. There has been not a peep yet, which I think indicates they are locked quite heatedly in some real negotiations, not all this posturing stuff that has composed the majority of the other meetings. Like "NHLPA Representative X emerges to say owners offer is crap!". Notice that isn't happening now.

I wouldn't be suprised if the owners accept a Luxury tax that has major bite like a cap, so both sides can declare a victory.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
kingsjohn said:
They can hammer out a CBA in an hour or two once they get past a couple of hurdles

You may be right, but I'd rather not get my hopes up.

Old Hickory

I want to know why every article on the cba ends the same way

No major North American sports league ever has lost an entire season due to a labor dispute. A Stanley Cup champion has been crowned every year since 1893 with the exception of 1919, when the Finals were canceled after five games due to a flu epidemic.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
kingsjohn said:
They are definately fanatical about ending the articles that way.Not sure what the reason is behind that daily reminder,maybe they're hoping the NHL and PA are reading them and will acknowledge the dangers associated with this mess. :dunno:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
kingsjohn said:

I guess it's to magnify the significance of a cancelled season...

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
It's been just over 3 hour meeting if it started at 1:30 which TSN is reporting

2:30, 3:30, 4:30 + 20 minutes = 3hrs 20 min.

edit- put 4:40 instead of 4:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->