GDT: 2/3//05 NHL and PA meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
interesting chat with john davidson last night on ESPN radio- he made mention of the rangers "tanking a 30 game season to get crosby" as being a reality the league really needs to address...the problems of getting work visas, and that bettman and goodenow likely need 3 days in a room to get anything accomplished. hopefully that begins today and ends with a deal on saturday :dunno:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah teams tanking the season is definatly an issue if there was a shortened season IMO.

there'd have to be some kind of incentive to compete

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
neelynugs said:
interesting chat with john davidson last night on ESPN radio- he made mention of the rangers "tanking a 30 game season to get crosby" as being a reality the league really needs to address...the problems of getting work visas, and that bettman and goodenow likely need 3 days in a room to get anything accomplished. hopefully that begins today and ends with a deal on saturday :dunno:

JD, in fact no one knows exactly where these guys are at. They would walk out today or tomorrow with a deal done.

Other that the announcement of a deal, the best thing we can hear is no comment, we're meeting tomorrow.

No one is going to tank the season. Not one team.

Well....except Chicago.

No one is going to tank a season just to get into a lottery. This will be the best chance for some of these teams to win a Cup as they will have in a quite a few years.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Levitate said:
yeah teams tanking the season is definatly an issue if there was a shortened season IMO.

The teams that make it into the playoffs, are the only players to share the playoff revenue. We all know this is all about money on both sides,.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
true that but i could still see a few teams not competing because even though playoffs would = some revenue...drafting crosby = more revenue in marketing over a longer period

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i still think phoenix tanked some games last year to get a better chance at winning the lottery...but that's probably just cuz them and the rangers were in a race to see who could suck more :)

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Levitate said:
true that but i could still see a few teams not competing because even though playoffs would = some revenue...drafting crosby = more revenue in marketing over a longer period

I don't know, but right now I want season. In all likely hood the NHL and PA will break off talks and the NHL will cancel the season around 6:30 ET on Sunday.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Levitate said:

May be true if the front office were to dress for the games but I doubt the players who just sat out are going to throw games for their owners. What incentive would the players have to do that?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't think teams will tank the season to get the first pick. However, I could see some teams play all their rookies and prospects to give them experience. This could lead to the team sucking and getting the first pick anyways. It's not tanking on purpose but icing a young, inexperienced team could yield the same results.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Finnigan said:
I don't know, but right now I want season. In all likely hood the NHL and PA will break off talks and the NHL will cancel the season around 6:30 ET on Sunday.

Right around the time where everyone in north america is watching the Super Bowl.

It would'nt even be in the sports section. Probably finance, last page.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
ti-vite said:
Right around the time where everyone in north america is watching the Super Bowl.

It would'nt even be in the sports section. Probably finance, last page.

The league we would want the least amount of coverage, because they will become the first sports league to cancel the entire season.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Levitate said:

What better incentive to compete than to make who gets Sidney Crosby a complete tossup? Give every team an equal chance at #1. From picks two onwards, you can give crappy teams more weighting. In my opinion, that would be a powerful disincentive towards teams tanking.

And before Jaded Fan or anyone else gets bent out of shape and accuses me of being a New Jersey fan or something, I ROOT FOR THE ATLANTA THRASHERS, who would probably be more likely to finish near the bottom of the standings than the top if this season were played.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
The Maltais Falcon said:
And before Jaded Fan or anyone else gets bent out of shape and accuses me of being a New Jersey fan or something, I ROOT FOR THE ATLANTA THRASHERS, who would probably be more likely to finish near the bottom of the standings than the top if this season were played.

Especially with Kovalchuk reported to be locked into his Russian contract for the remainder of the season.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
They should have a 30 team tourny and the WINNER gets the first overall :)

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
dem said:
They should have a 30 team tourny and the WINNER gets the first overall :)

you talk about some intense competition...30 teams duking it out for crosby. wow.

although in reality awarding #1 overall to the team that wins most likely creates an even larger talent gap.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
sveiglar said:
Especially with Kovalchuk reported to be locked into his Russian contract for the remainder of the season.
Yup. Though the Russian season ends rather early so Kovalchuk might be available to us near the end of a shortened NHL season. In prior years there would have been waiver issues there but I think the league would make exceptions for this year considering the circumstances.

Anyways, it's all but a moot point. I don't think there will be a season unfortunately.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Levitate said:

Issue of tanking season... it's a weighted crapshoot so anyone could get it.

For luck, Panthers have had the top one in 02 and 03 despite not being dead last... watch them magically get this one too :joker:

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
Issue of tanking season... it's a weighted crapshoot so anyone could get it.

For luck, Panthers have had the top one in 02 and 03 despite not being dead last... watch them magically get this one too :joker:

I don't think the last place team has ever won the draft lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->