GDT: 11/17 -RE/MAX: Russia vs. Canada(OHL) series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Shappa said:
6-1 or whatever it is now, should still be a shutout for Canada but someone *Druce* obviously didn't take any groundball practice when he was a kid :)

The Russian goalie looks awful, I know this isn't the A squad and this series is a measurement of nothing, but man... this guy looks like he's been playing Bantam hockey all year, by far the biggest standout (not of the good variety) on their team.

Yeah, Barulin looked bad. What's surprising is I thought he was going to be probably the standout of the Russian team - I keep hearing he's going to be the starter at the WJCs...oh well, we'll see how it goes...

Shappa said:
Can't wait until the Q gets this team on Thursday.

Now that'll be scary.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
Is the game over yet?
Yes it's over and the final score was 7-1 Canada

And Foppa if you think this was Canada's "A" team you are sorely mistaken, you do realize this was just the OHL all stars and that their are two other Canadian junior leagues, that are the equivalent of the OHL......not to mention a few NHL players who are eligible for the WJC.

I'm a diehard junior hockey fan, but I definitely had a tough time watching that.......have to wonder if they will cancel the rest of the games.

leafaholix*

topshelf331 said:
Anybody notice how belle looked? And who was in net for the russians?
Shawn Belle's in the WHL.

Konstantin Barulin played.

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
Shawn Belle's in the WHL.

Konstantin Barulin played.

Whoops , i scrolled down too far. Sorry. Im new to following the chl. I knew he was in tri-city. Just forgot tri-city was in the whl.

That sucks that barulin got rocked. He looked really sharp in the blues camp.

leafaholix*

He made a couple good saves though... that game means nothing.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
If someone could give a brief summary of Carcillo and Bissonnette, that would be great. Mmmkay.
Well it wasn't the best game to judge defenceman(on team OHL anyway), if you've read through any of the comments, I'm sure you know what I mean.

And Carcillo was actually one of the few OHL forwards that didn't do much of anything.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I had to quit watching..... the russian team couldnt even get out of their own end on the powerplay

Send a real team next time Russia, thanks

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Boomhower said:
And Foppa if you think this was Canada's "A" team you are sorely mistaken, you do realize this was just the OHL all stars and that their are two other Canadian junior leagues, that are the equivalent of the OHL......not to mention a few NHL players who are eligible for the WJC.

Yep. Generally speaking, this team would probably be considered one of Canada's three "D" teams (the other "D" teams being the WHL team and the QMJHL team). Canada's three "C" teams could be considered a combination of the best players from two of the three league's teams (either WHL+OHL, WHL+QMJHL, or OHL+QMJHL). The "B" team could be considered the best players of the 3 leagues. And the "A" team would obviously be the best players with of the 3 teams with any or all of the eligible NHL players.

gohabsgo2010

Feb 28, 2003
sign Patrick Poulin
Great game by the OHL boys. I met a few of the Russians in downtown London on Sunday (one of them bought a Ja Rule CD :mad: ), even though they're English was pretty bad, they were nice guys.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Anyone wanna post the Q team?

Edit
Nevermind..

Forwards
Patrice Bergeron (Bat) or Michael Lambert (P.E.I.)
Marc-Andre Bernier (Cap)
Steve Bernier (Mon)
Sidney Crosby (Rim)
Stephen Dixon (Cap)
Francois-Pierre Guenette (Cap)
Jean-Francois Jacques (BaC)
Alexandre Picard (Lew)
Antoine Pouliot (Rim)
Dany Roussin (Rim)
Maxime Talbot (Gat)
Cory Urquhart (P.E.I)

Defencemen
James Sanford (Mon)
Patrick Coulombe (Rim)
Bruno Gervais (Bat)
Doug O'Brien (Gat)
Alexandre Picard (Cap)
Rosario Ruggeri (Chi)
Nathan Saunders (Mon)

Goaltenders
Corey Crawford (Mon)
Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers (Chi)
Marc-Andre Fleury (Cap) or Maxime Daigneault (VdO)

Management Team
Doris Labonte (Rimouski Oceanic)
Stephane Pilotte (Val-d'Or Foreurs)

Head Coach
Mario Durocher - Lewiston MAINEiacs

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Arankys said:
"Hopefully Canada lets up a little with the hitting or these Russsians could get hurt....all of them."

:rant: :shakehead

Great game!!!!

I was kind of joking......normally I would say keep pounding them too, but the game was over after the first period and Russia looked helpless, some of those players don't belong on the same ice as guys like Stewart and Eager.....they were tiny and probably never played on a NA sized rink.

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
This Russian team is probably no better than teams like Kazakhstan, Norway, etc.. Actually those teams would probably beat this Russian team in a series.

leafaholix*

It's called sportsmanship.

When you're up 5-1 and you see your opponent doesn't stand a chance... especially when it's a friendly tournament, you kind of have to lay off a little.

I think the OHL did that, this game could have easily gone in the double digits.

J F M

Jun 22, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Wow is all I can say. It's unfortunate that the quality of the Russian team is not up to par. That being said, I don't see a future for this series after this year, because I don't foresee the Russians ever sending a quality team. Obviously 1 reason is that they don't want to show the Canadians their "hand". Secondly the RSL is never going to release their best prospects to play in a meaningless tour. I guess it's back to the drawing board for the CHL trying to come up with a successful format to evaluate their prospects eligible for the World Juniors.

IceMelter

Feb 23, 2003
The Wack
Would be cool if the NCAA and WHL and other Canadian/American leagues could get together.

I know I would enjoy watching a Canada vrs USA mini series battle every year prior to the WJC, it gives both teams the ability to evaluate the players, each nation could send out 2 teams, equally divided.

With have two-four games played every year.

Canada Team A vrs USA Team B, Team A
Canada Team B vrs USA Team B, Team A

I don't know, just an idea.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
I don't even know why Russia agreed to participate to this tour, if they knew the kind of team they would send. It's juste embarassing!!

It's not an A team, nor a B or a C team. It's juste the worst players they could find.....While the 2 top picks at next draft should be Ovechkin and Malkin, they sent players who even wont get drafted.

I'm embarrassed :cry:

At least the U20 gold medal is ours :rolly:

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Eager. Man he is the real deal. He hit everything that move... and everything that doesn't move (The board LOL)...

Why not send to the russian team some russians playing in the chl for completing the team?

it would be more equal...

SCHL Commish

As a big fan of the Russian hockey that's been played in the past twenty years, the goalie from Youngblood puts it best: "I feel shame."

This is the single worst collection of Russian players, en masse, that I've ever seen assembled. If this is Fetisov's collection, he's got to be pummelled. It's brutal and it shows.

Evseev was seen as a project when drafted (hit or miss), Krutov's got nice bloodlines, Barulin might be something in ten years but not really too much now. If this is any indication of the effort of choosing the U-20 team, I might actually have to root for Canada... and that hurts more than you know.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Genghis Keon said:
Yep. Generally speaking, this team would probably be considered one of Canada's three "D" teams (the other "D" teams being the WHL team and the QMJHL team). Canada's three "C" teams could be considered a combination of the best players from two of the three league's teams (either WHL+OHL, WHL+QMJHL, or OHL+QMJHL). The "B" team could be considered the best players of the 3 leagues. And the "A" team would obviously be the best players with of the 3 teams with any or all of the eligible NHL players.

:confused: :dunno:

None of the Canadian players are below a "C" level because there are only 3 teams. There aren't enough players to form a "D" team.

The "C" team would be a collection of the worst players that make up each respective team (WHL, OHL, QMJHL).
The "B" team would consist of the next best players, and the "A" team would be the cream of the crop (plus the handful of NHLers).
Canada's "D" team would be a collection of the best remaining CHL talent not chosen to participate in this event.

Each squad (WHL, OHL, Q) has a collection of A, B, and C level players (some more than others) so they each average out to be around "B" level. Maybe slighty below "B" level figuring in the NHLers not playing.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
go pierre hedin said:
It's called sportsmanship.

When you're up 5-1 and you see your opponent doesn't stand a chance... especially when it's a friendly tournament, you kind of have to lay off a little.

I think the OHL did that, this game could have easily gone in the double digits.

but it's the ruskies, FILL THE NET

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Hitman said:
I know that this is a 'B team with only a few guys with a realistic shot to make the WJC team (like Evseev).
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?postid=450144&postcount=2

Russian team has a lot of very young players (half of defence 17 years old players (1986 born) and one of them has even never been selected for the 1986 national team!).

More than half of the team are 18 years old players and younger, and they are not the best of their generation. Most of 1984 born players belong to "D" team (with few exceptions).

Small ice rink I think was one of the reasons of such poor game from the Russian team, the time difference could be another reason: game has started at 7:00 PM so in Moscow it was night already but still they wouldn't have a chance to win with this roster.

Dr_Chimera*

Ishmatov said himself that only one of the goalies has a chance for the WJC's...

So I guess we won't see Evseev either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad