GBU: Ole Yo Asses Home

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Sobotka was almost shockingly good tonight, he is crazy strong on the puck.

I missed the first but he wasn't the best player on the ice tonight, which is something that I've grown accustomed to over the past couple years. I saw him make 2 zone entries which very few guys in the league can do though.

I still think that his overall hustle and intensity level is holding him back from being a top 10 forward in the NHL at the moment. His talent is off the charts but he won't consistently use it for some reason.
I cant agree. I think Jack's effort level and physical dominance have been at the forefront of his game this season even moreso than his talent and offensive flash. He led the team in hits tonight and is a horse on the walls. Not saying he's Girgensons constantly going 100% but it's night and day compared to his first couple seasons. Part of it is his upright skating style at times makes him look like he isn't hustling but that's just how he skates (and it's amazing).

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Want to give a shoutout to Bergland. No points for him but his presence was hard to miss tonight.
He still needs to finish the chances he gets. He missed two 100% scoring chances. He should have burried at least one of them and made this game easier for us.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Have to admit...as I was in the middle of thinking, why the $&@! did he swap Okposo for Middelstadt, the puck goes in!

Literally the same, I was starting to say something like why the f*** is he out there, juat when he shot and scored. Felt embarrassed but still super happy for him and the team.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
If they end up being great and everyone here gets to dunk on me for all eternity I'll be the happiest person in the entire world.
Thats how I feel about Sam and personally wasn't that high on Sheary. More than happy to be wrong in that direction. If I expect high results of someone and hype him and then he flops, thats when it hurts :)

Reactions: sabremike

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Dahlin had a play where he jumped up to intercept a pass that led directly to a great Eichel scoring chance late in the 3rd. It was silky smooth.

Reactions: Rasmi

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
G:
Everyone seems to grow by adding a few pieces of the "teampuzzle".

Okposo and Pom being the most obvious examples. They do not have what it takes to create stuff totally on their own(and got tons of crap for it last year when being invisible) but by adding pieces in the O that put them in a situation where they do not have to they grow.

Another example. Our Berglund line is doing an amazing job so far. Giving the rest of the lines a easier situation (more often faceoffs or even direct changes in offensive zone). Result. They play situations they are better at and grow.

That is without talking about the D and the impact of having Dahlin in there.

B: I feel Ullmark should be given more time. Hutton is good but in 80 games I would prefer at 60% 40% layout rather then the 80% 20% of the first 10 games. Especially given how he performed in his games so far. And I belive Hutton let in some pucks that did not have to go in today.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I like a lot of things right now. I've said it before and I'll say it again: They're playing like a team. They're trusting each other and the system. They have confidence. And seeing my team actually wear down opponents - I can get used to that.

Most that can be said has already been said but... What the fudge is going on with Scandella? He's been bad all season. It's like he forgot how to hockey. Scandella is this years Beaulieu. I just don't understand what I'm seeing from him. We say that the wheels come off when players lose their game, but in Scandella's case it rather looks like his head has come off.

What's nice is that we win games even with him playing poorly and Hutton having his first bad game. And boy do I love what I'm seeing from that fourth line! Props also to Housley and the way he's using them. It's not like they get seven minutes per game. They're out there, contributing, cycling, being tough to play against. I had basically written Larsson off, but now he's starting to look like the Larsson we fell in love with a couple of years ago, and Zemgus looks like he's figured out what he is expected to do. Again, props to Housley and the rest of the coaching staff.

Reactions: monktbd

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
What if what we saw of Eichel yesterday is a glimpse of the future. I am referring to the physicality. Angry Eichel channels his inner Eric Lindros and decides to carry the puck through his opponents rather than around them.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- loved the dramatic finish
- 4 goals
- Muffin goal
- Housley has a 3 game win streak

B- so many Habs jerseys in the stands (sellers making some profit would move this up to good)

U- Skinner will get paid more than Jack if this keeps up

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Ugly:

- just now noticed that wince Reinhart let out after his fist pump on the goal. I know he played after but he has not proven to be one to get knicked up so far in his career, so seeing it just now was a little concerning. Hope he’s fine.

Uglier than initially thought, somehow:

- I watched the Armia goal twelve times and still can’t get enough because of how many guys could combine to pack so many mistakes into one 15 second clip. Recap is something like....

Scandella in cruise control as the puck is lobbed behind him.

Mittelstadt, who was actually in great position in the neutral zone right as the lob is made, unplugs his controller and snailcrawls into the zone.

Puck comes within four centimeters of Hutton on that lob-in, but he inexplicably doesn’t touch the f***ing thing, even though the footrace was clearly not going to go in favor of either defenseman.

Bogo is not moving anywhere close to top speed, which is annoying in theory but he also sees his partner with a bit more momentum and a bit deeper in his own zone, though tough to tell how much closer to the puck, if at all, Scandella even was.

Bogo should have picked up the pace and stayed with Kotkaniemi, but when the miscommunication occurs, he sees Scandella swizzle around and behind the net, hunched over and with no intent to win the race to the puck or take the man out with the body.

Bogo correctly goes to his near post.

And when I say Scandella “swizzles” behind, I mean that as he hits the top of the circles, to the point he reaches the crease, his skates don’t come off the f***ing ice.

Ends up with his stick at his waist and on the wrong side of the ice...and he and Bogo both stand and watch as a very visible loose puck is collared, walked on a leash, and wrapped in by Armia. Okposo and Mittelstadt also end up watching from the crease area.

It was obvious when they hit the blueline that Montréal was beating the defensemen into the zone, and Mittelstadt should’ve skated harder, to stay with the guy Bogo pointed towards or to actually help out somehow.

Instead, he goes as slow as possible, doesn’t stop in the slot, and glides into the post, stick out of position and at his waist, not once looking around or behind him. Everybody could have done a LOT more, or a LOT better with what they ended up doing.

The lack of urgency from all involved is what bothers me most...it was a communicative failure, and lots of watching and standing still. A total breakdown.

But something to learn from; the kind of thing that when they watch it on film, nobody really needs to say much because of how egregious it was and how horrid it looks when slowed down. I loved this game so much, and I’m in a good mood, so I apologize if it appears as a downer note. Had to find something to pick on, a welcomed change in mindset!

- lost draw with 3 seconds left is inexcusable

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
G: This thread title
Everything. Everything is bubblegum and rainbows.

B: Whoops, except for Scandella. If you'd have told me before the season that Bogosian and Scandella would be a pair, and that one of them was dragging the other down, I would have been furious that we anchored our most reliable defenseman with Bogosian.

U: Refs dropping his hand to waive off an icing only after Hutton decided not to play it.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I'll echo a lot of others in saying the only two players I thought were shaky were Scandella and Hutton. Did Ullmark wear a Tina Smith shirt into the locker room or something? At some point, you'd think he has to start getting starts more frequently.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
There’s nothing wrong with bringing Ullmark along slowly and against weaker competition. He’s the backup and Hutton is the starter, their deployment reflects that. I think Hutton probably goes against Columbus and Calgary, and the Ice Bear will get the Ottawa game.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
There’s nothing wrong with bringing Ullmark along slowly and against weaker competition. He’s the backup and Hutton is the starter, their deployment reflects that. I think Hutton probably goes against Columbus and Calgary, and the Ice Bear will get the Ottawa game.

I guess I’m ok with Hutton getting the majority of starts.

But the split was 8:2 in the first ten games.

I’d like that to shift more to 7:3 or 6:4 as the season goes on.

Even if he’s the starter, no reason for Hutton to be getting 80% of starts. We don’t need to ride him like that.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014

Montreal at home on 3 days rest constitutes stronger competition now? Okay.

Also nothing wrong with riding the hot hand a bit. They're going to need better goaltending one of these games where they don't tilt the ice. Hutton is the starter, but I think most people expected more of a 60/40 split, not 80/20

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
G:
Almost everything
This is the best I've felt about the Sabres since.....

B:
Sabres with some dumb lapses that led to some very preventable goals.
Hutton letting in a few stinkers.

I'm not going to put Bogosian in the "Bad" but I don't think he deserves the "Good" a lot of people placed him in. Very disappointed with him on the 2nd goal. Even a tiny bit of effort he could've won the icing, or if he didn't sit there complaining about not getting the icing he could've made a play on the puck. I guess the fact that Scandella and Hutton screwed up just as bad makes it easy to not blame Bogo for that goal.

ceky

Dec 1, 2009
Vienna
.) as a long time lurker here: good to see those highlight videos! (I don't want to spend for streaming... i will soon have to start)

.) ouch for risto.... i rewatched many times before I saw that it actually wasn't a montreal player with a hidden nutshot.

timepoint 3min:55sec

Reactions: Dingo44

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I guess I’m ok with Hutton getting the majority of starts.

But the split was 8:2 in the first ten games.

I’d like that to shift more to 7:3 or 6:4 as the season goes on.

Even if he’s the starter, no reason for Hutton to be getting 80% of starts. We don’t need to ride him like that.

I agree with this, a gradual shift to 7:3 or so would be ideal for this season. 6:4 or 5:5 next year.

Montreal at home on 3 days rest constitutes stronger competition now? Okay.

Also nothing wrong with riding the hot hand a bit. They're going to need better goaltending one of these games where they don't tilt the ice. Hutton is the starter, but I think most people expected more of a 60/40 split, not 80/20

Montreal remains ahead of us in the standings even after we beat them last night. So yeah, they're stronger competition than Arizona or Los Angeles. I agree that at the end of the season The ratio should be more like 7:3 in favor of Hutton, but I like that he's received 8 of the first 10 starts. Gradual build towards more ice time for Ullmark, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
:clap:

G: Winning

B: Giving up the early goal

U: Outshooting the Habs almost 2:1 and it still coming down to a late GWG with Niemi in net

Yes, these are first world Buffalo sportsfandom issues

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
@jBuds and @joshjull

I don't think Scandella is too busy directing Bogosian to make proper choices. I wonder if it's weighing on his mind though. The first year I was expected to give directions to the D while playing goalie, I did not do well saving pucks. I got used to it and things went back to normal.

Just a thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad