GBH in Fighting (UK)

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
I am surprised this has not already been the plan of attack for those most vocal about removing fighting from hockey. I would that that group is of a similar philosophical persuasion as most of the judiciary in their locales, which would appear to me to be the preferred first shot in an all out attempt to end hockey fights. I'm surprised this has not been commonplace prior to the current time.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
I am surprised this has not already been the plan of attack for those most vocal about removing fighting from hockey. I would that that group is of a similar philosophical persuasion as most of the judiciary in their locales, which would appear to me to be the preferred first shot in an all out attempt to end hockey fights. I'm surprised this has not been commonplace prior to the current time.

Because it would end hockey altogether because I am pretty sure hitting someone with a composite machete type object is also Assault but is known in hockey as "slashing"

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
It's probably worth noting that the incident occurred during an amateur game. I doubt that something like this will happen in professional hockey.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I hope it does become more common, and that fighting disappears. I know fighting is traditionally seen as part of the sport, but it ruins the game. When I was young, I watched the NHM games on TV in Canada and I loved the fights, especially when entire teams took part. But 30 years later and my views have changed. I want to watch hockey, not brawling. And of course if they allow fighting, they will always have players on the ice who are there primarily because they can throw a punch and not because they can play. I recently watched some of the women's hockey from Sochi 2014, and found it more enjoyable than the men's games, maybe because they have to focus on skating and game play rather than smashing into opponants.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I hope it does become more common, and that fighting disappears. I know fighting is traditionally seen as part of the sport, but it ruins the game. When I was young, I watched the NHM games on TV in Canada and I loved the fights, especially when entire teams took part. But 30 years later and my views have changed. I want to watch hockey, not brawling. And of course if they allow fighting, they will always have players on the ice who are there primarily because they can throw a punch and not because they can play. I recently watched some of the women's hockey from Sochi 2014, and found it more enjoyable than the men's games, maybe because they have to focus on skating and game play rather than smashing into opponants.
If they take fighting out it will be replaced with cheap shots and dirty play.There will be way more injurys.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

your walking down the street minding your own business reading your phone, and I run up to you and plaster you into the window of an H&M, that would be assault, in this " legal vacuum". If people want to get the law involved on what happens on the ice, then they should be completely aware, that checking is next. forewarned is forearmed. before you say that " checking is part of the game" and " fighting is not" there is zero historical evidence for this and pretty much EVERY SINGLE player who has ever laced them up tight knows that if you take liberties on opponents on the ice, that someone might come calling.

I wonder if the next time a goalie catches a puck up near the clavicle ( which hurts like a mother) if he could sick the constables on the shooter for assault as well ?

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Two comments:
1) Slashing would not be assault unless it is of the two hand, attempting to injure, variety.

2) I always hear about how dirty hockey would be if fighting was gone, yet almost all of the worst incidents in NHL history have happened with legal fighting. Most before the instigator was established. How often do you hear about stick swinging incidents at someone’s head in leagues where fights are an automatic game misconduct? Yet, we had many in the “good old days” of hockey. The other day I watched “Ice Guardians” and was cracking up when they said that same thing and then showed a clip from the 50’s or early 60’s of a guy trying to chop someone’s head off in an NHL game.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Maybe women's hockey is where you should focus your attention then, the game is already a wussified, watered down version of what hockey once was, when it was entertaining, amazes mre that people like you want the game even softer. Instead of you blabbering about the game needs to be played by wimps why don't you just go watch a league that won't offend your delicate sensibilities?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Two comments:
1) Slashing would not be assault unless it is of the two hand, attempting to injure, variety.

2) I always hear about how dirty hockey would be if fighting was gone, yet almost all of the worst incidents in NHL history have happened with legal fighting. Most before the instigator was established. How often do you hear about stick swinging incidents at someone’s head in leagues where fights are an automatic game misconduct? Yet, we had many in the “good old days” of hockey. The other day I watched “Ice Guardians” and was cracking up when they said that same thing and then showed a clip from the 50’s or early 60’s of a guy trying to chop someone’s head off in an NHL game.

The bolded is completely wrong and just looks like someone who doesn't like fighting pushing his agenda. McSorely's slash on Braeshear wasn't a fight, Hunter running Turgeon after he scored a series clinching goal wasn't a fight, I don't recall a truly terrible incident that involved fighting. Maki-Green was a stick fight not a hockey fight.

The game is a boring mess most of the time without hitting or fighting anymore, the older fans who hated fighting at the time, in the 70's and 80's, have crawled out of the ground spewing "see I told you it would be better without fighting and more like ice capades". The pansy brigade has what it wants, a game without passion or contact, be proud at the small hand the voices of the pacifists had in destroying hockey

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
The bolded is completely wrong and just looks like someone who doesn't like fighting pushing his agenda. McSorely's slash on Braeshear wasn't a fight, Hunter running Turgeon after he scored a series clinching goal wasn't a fight, I don't recall a truly terrible incident that involved fighting. Maki-Green was a stick fight not a hockey fight.

The game is a boring mess most of the time without hitting or fighting anymore, the older fans who hated fighting at the time, in the 70's and 80's, have crawled out of the ground spewing "see I told you it would be better without fighting and more like ice capades". The pansy brigade has what it wants, a game without passion or contact, be proud at the small hand the voices of the pacifists had in destroying hockey
It’s cute how you start out taking a shot at me, but end up with egg on your face as it’s clear you couldn’t comprehend what was written.

Of the three incidents you mentioned, only the Brashear incident occurred after the instigator rule was put in place. The other two were dirty incidents that occurred during the time when goons policed hockey.

Your last sentence speaks volumes about you and it’s not pretty.

Thanks for your input.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad