Confirmed with Link: Gavrikov re-signed for 3 years ($2.8M AAV)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not sure this is a great deal. If Gav would only go 3 years, fine. If it was Jarmo's doing, I would much rather have seen a 4-5mm deal for like 6 years. Guy is projected, if not already, a solid top 4 D, why walk him to UFA status?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not sure this is a great deal. If Gav would only go 3 years, fine. If it was Jarmo's doing, I would much rather have seen a 4-5mm deal for like 6 years. Guy is projected, if not already, a solid top 4 D, why walk him to UFA status?
I continue to be amazed that for some people, whenever news is announced about the team, their first instinct (at least in terms of posting here) is "something must be wrong here; where's the overriding downside?"

Reactions: Xoggz22

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Are you sure anything is ever great? Team gets a good player on a good deal and Gav gets to renegotiate at a time with a new TV deal and hopefully some more financial stability in the world

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I continue to be amazed that for some people, whenever news is announced about the team, their first instinct (at least in terms of posting here) is "something must be wrong here; where's the overriding downside?"
While I personally don't have any issues with the deal and hope this is a contract that makes Gavrikov happy. A happy Gavrikov can only help in convincing our Russian quartet of prospects that the water is warm and they should jump in.

That said, I can see Espen's side of this. A three year deal means G will be 29 when this contract ends and assume he will be looking for a long term deal with big money. I don't love the idea of giving a 29 year old a six year deal. Giving a now 26 year old a six year deal takes him to 32 which is much more preferable.

Of course this is getting ahead of ourselves because how many players who sign six plus year deals at 29 actually make it to the end of that contract with the team that signs them to it.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
While I personally don't have any issues with the deal and hope this is a contract that makes Gavrikov happy. A happy Gavrikov can only help in convincing our Russian quartet of prospects that the water is warm and they should jump in.

That said, I can see Espen's side of this. A three year deal means G will be 29 when this contract ends and assume he will be looking for a long term deal with big money. I don't love the idea of giving a 29 year old a six year deal. Giving a now 26 year old a six year deal takes him to 32 which is much more preferable.

Of course this is getting ahead of ourselves because how many players who sign six plus year deals at 29 actually make it to the end of that contract with the team that signs them to it.

Gav is 24 right now.

Reactions: Viqsi

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

He's 24 now. I believe math still shows 24 + 3 = 27

Ideal deal for team and player. First year is like RFA and team control, last year is like UFA and player control. Good balance

Reactions: rotsbu and Viqsi

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH

Thanks for the link. Interesting comment from his agent:
Our priority was to conclude an agreement in which we do not lose a single year, when a player could become an unrestricted free agent. Vlad was born after September 15, 1995, so UFA status may come to him in 2023, not earlier. Of course, there were offers from the club for a shorter or longer period. But this is the best option.

I'm a bit surprised Jarmo agreed to walk him to free agency. I can't see that happening with PLD though.

Reactions: CPTN71

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thanks for the link. Interesting comment from his agent:

I'm a bit surprised Jarmo agreed to walk him to free agency. I can't see that happening with PLD though.

Are you ever happy with anything? Great deal for the team and the player who can become a free agent in 3 years (which apparently we as fans should be thankful for). Get with the program TP this ain't Philly for God's sake. :sarcasm:

Reactions: CPTN71 and Toe Pick

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Gavrikov isn't special enough to worry about losing after 3 years. If he walks, whatever, if he doesn't, then great. He's a good player, and getting better, but he's not going to be some rare top pairing shut down guy. I think he's pretty much hit his ceiling now, or is close to it.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

We have given quite a few 5-6 year deals that didn't work out so well. I don't think Vlad will be in that situation in 3-4 years but I didn't think we would have to buy out Wennberg or have Dubi on LTIR either. Shit happens - I think this 3 year deal is awesome. Lets win and Vlad will likely stay here as part of the D core.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Nobody should have wanted to leave the team with Bob/Panarin/Duchene....but they all did
Except Bob had a hurt ego which probably rubbed off on Panarin as he had bright lights and big cities in his eyes. Duchene was just along for the ride until he could go play country music.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->