Gauthier, Smith, Perreault, or Leonard?

Best NHL career: Gauthier, Smith, Perrealt, or Leonard?

• Gauthier

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • Smith

Votes: 44 41.9%
  • Leonard

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • Perrault

Votes: 14 13.3%

• Total voters

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Season's almost over, and we've gotten to see them all play at the college level. Which of Boston College's big 4 has the best NHL career? I think you can make an argument for any of them right now.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Smith and then a toss up between Leonard and Perrault after him.

Gauthier on the other hand… imo isn’t that good.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Voted Smith (to see results), but it’s just too tough to call that now.

I think it won’t be Leonard. While I really, really enjoy watching him right now, between repeatedly stickhandling around 3-4 players and extending almost every shift (about 1,5 of his linemates shifts), that is way too much hero-hockey to translate well.

The RL we will see in the NHL will look a lot different, as those things won’t fly in the NHL.

Does not imply he can’t adjust, it just won’t be as fun watching him in the NHL as it is now.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Cutter for the ducks. He is everything we need right now. Big strong power forward who scores goals. Put him next to Carlson and Zegras he will thrive

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I voted Smith, but I think Gauthier is close and Perreault may be able to score in the NHL like he has in juniors and college. Leonard will be good, but I think has lower potential than the other three. He’ll only be the best if the other three bust.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Homer vote for Gauthier on the poll, but I think Smith will be the best of the bunch. Gauthier might put up better numbers early because of a better linemate or two. But they're all so young that it's too early to tell.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I kinda see Gauthier as like a modern day David Backes except way faster and with a much better shot.

Anyways, if they hit, gonna go with Smith and then maybe Leonard. There's just enough "buts" for each of these guys to make it hard to choose.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Pre-draft, Perreault was my favorite of that trio, and I have never been super high on Gauthier, so Perreault is my pick by default. I think his skating issues are a bit overblown, he’s probably never going to be more than average, but with his hockey iq he mitigates that quite well.

Leonard has the best chance of a long NHL career imo, but the lowest ceiling. Smith and Gauthier have the highest ceilings, but the lowest floors. In my viewings (BC and WJCs), I’ve come away a bit disappointed in their play selection and overall hockey IQ multiple times.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Leonard has the best chance of a long NHL career imo
I actually think the opposite. If he keeps playing the way he does in college he'll get crushed (especially being he's not huge depsite the way he plays). He's the safest to be a good middle-6/top-6 player though.

I still haven't voted in the poll...they just all have question marks and I want to see them seperated.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I actually think the opposite. If he keeps playing the way he does in college he'll get crushed (especially being he's not huge depsite the way he plays). He's the safest to be a good middle-6/top-6 player though.

I still haven't voted in the poll...they just all have question marks and I want to see them seperated.

That’s a valid point and probably a better summation of what I was trying to say.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Voted Smith (to see results), but it’s just too tough to call that now.

I think it won’t be Leonard. While I really, really enjoy watching him right now, between repeatedly stickhandling around 3-4 players and extending almost every shift (about 1,5 of his linemates shifts), that is way too much hero-hockey to translate well.

The RL we will see in the NHL will look a lot different, as those things won’t fly in the NHL.

Does not imply he can’t adjust, it just won’t be as fun watching him in the NHL as it is now.
I have these exact same concerns with Leonard. I really love the way he's played and competed, but it's not going to be something he's going to be able to consistently do at the next level.

Gauthier seems like the most "NHL" type of player, but I think his upside is limited to a low end 1C. Smith has the higher upside but his style is very difficult to succeed with in the NHL - only the elite of the elite can execute at that level. I think Smith has that potential, but there's some risk there.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
They can all be great, they can all bust.

But Smith has the tools to be a 3rd-4th line center if it doesn't work out for him offensively in the NHL.

So Smith gets my vote. Same ceiling as the others, but higher floor.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Leonard has impressed me the most.
i don't disagree. he is easy to like. every team would love to have player like him. which is whyi think that we tend to overrate him. he will be really good nhl player, but i think closer in production to peak oshie than peak ovechkin. i voted smith, who has i think more variability of outcomes but if he hits can be a top 10 scorer in league.

Evergreen

i don't disagree. he is easy to like. every team would love to have player like him. which is whyi think that we tend to overrate him. he will be really good nhl player, but i think closer in production to peak oshie than peak ovechkin. i voted smith, who has i think more variability of outcomes but if he hits can be a top 10 scorer in league.
All of these guys are going to be closer in production to peak Oshie than peak Ovechkin.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
All of these guys are going to be closer in production to peak Oshie than peak Ovechkin.
i think the other 3 have decent chance to produce higher than that. They won't all do it, but 1 maybe 2 i could see rising fair bit above oshie's peak,

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Pre-draft, Perreault was my favorite of that trio, and I have never been super high on Gauthier, so Perreault is my pick by default. I think his skating issues are a bit overblown, he’s probably never going to be more than average, but with his hockey iq he mitigates that quite well.

Leonard has the best chance of a long NHL career imo, but the lowest ceiling. Smith and Gauthier have the highest ceilings, but the lowest floors. In my viewings (BC and WJCs), I’ve come away a bit disappointed in their play selection and overall hockey IQ multiple times.

I can't fathom how someone could think that Gauthier has a lower floor than Perreault. One of them is tailored made for a depth role if he doesn't become a scorer. The other might not be able to play in the league if his offense can't translate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad