Gaustad

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Given how the Sabres are constructed right now, it's hard to see how his current cap hit would fit. He isn't the same guy he once was physically and that could be comfort from contract size and a bit of self-preservation after his injuries.

That said, they didn't upgrade at third line center in the near-term. In fact, they look even worse defensively. For chunks of last season, Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta were a decent d-zone starting unit and they just aren't getting that out of the various combo's Ruff's used so far.

Apr 5, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Steve Ott is taking an average of 5-6 less draws per game than last season. 'sayin.

Yep, i would like Ott to take the faceoffs for Ennis(seems to get thrown out every other faceoff)/Grigs(even if he isn't doing that bad)/Hecht or whoever's line he is on at the time then switch back to LW. Faceoff wins can make a huge difference.

Last edited:

rsg87

Apr 1, 2011
Loved Gaustad as a player and third/fourth line center but he's making 3.25 million a season for four years. He just isn't worth that kind of money.

Timbo Slice

Roaring back
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester
We got a 1st round pick for Paul freaking Gaustad. It still boggles my mind.

I loved Goose. He was a good teammate, decent player, good on faceoffs, big body, etc. But he got worse as his career went on with Buffalo. Didn't hit that much, scoring went down, and honestly he didn't really do his job with us. He fought Lucic - the next game. He was on the ice when Miller got hit and did nothing. So while I still like Gaustad, and still root for him, the return the Sabres got for him was simply too much to pass up.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Getting a 1st for Goose was absolutely hilarious. Great at f/o but basically a 4th liner/PK guy aside from that. Happy to take that first and ruuuuuun!

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Gaustad was overpaid and became less effective as the years went on, and getting a first for him was a great move. Still, the Sabres could really use a Goose type right now. Not replacing him was and still is one of the biggest failings of their offseason. I guess Hecht is the closest thing they have to Gaustad now, which is a joke.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Wish he was still here, and at the end of the day we traded Gaustad and a 4th for Girgensons who already looks like he may have a short career due to head issues, not liking that pick so far

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
The return Buffalo got for Gaustad was awesome, and it's a deal they absolutely have to take. But at the same time, I can't help but laugh at all the people spouting off about how he was overpaid and terrible given how team defense has been more or less non-existent since he left.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Gosh. I loved Goose. One of my favorite Sabres player over the course of the last decade. I loved watching him in Rochester during the lockout playing a heavy game alongside Chris Thorburn. In his prime, he was a fantastic third line player...great on faceoffs and on the PK, could chip in a dozen goals, could hit, would stand up for teammates. Unfortunately, the injuries chipped away at him, and he deteriorated rather quickly. He was a shell of a player last year, a ghost of the old Gaustad. The Lucic stuff just further illuminated that.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Gaustad is an average 4th line center grossly overpaid. The fact we got a 1st is laughable. He is a bottom line forward, if you gotta play him in the top 9 then your screwed.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Yep, i would like Ott to take the faceoffs for Ennis(seems to get thrown out every other faceoff)/Grigs(even if he isn't doing that bad)/Hecht or whoever's line he is on at the time then switch back to LW. Faceoff wins can make a huge difference.

I kind of think that Ennis was purposely trying to cheat on the face-offs last night, on the theory that he either wins the FO or lets Ott take it. Other teams have done that purposely, and though it is annoying, it should be an effective strategy.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Wish he was still here, and at the end of the day we traded Gaustad and a 4th for Girgensons who already looks like he may have a short career due to head issues, not liking that pick so far

Wow, took almost 1 calendar year for Gaustad to become a better option than the first rounder we got for him.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
2 months of Gaustad is better than having Girgensons? What are you guys smoking?

The fact he has concussions is a concern but that can hardly be used to justify changing how you feel about the pick, as if it were something that should have been considered at the time when it was completely unpredictable. Let's not pretend his career is over, either. :shakehead

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
B's fan coming in peace..

Paul Gaustad: What did Sabres fans think of him? Were you guys happy to see him go? From my perspective he always seemed like a character guy and a good teammate, and he was really the only guy who stood up to Lucic following the Miller incident. Has a lil scoring touch too. Why does this guy get the door? Boggles my mind that Ruff puts Scott out there when a Gaustad would be 15x as productive.

Gaustad would not have given Thorton a concussion....Paul wayyyy over paid for the other things he does.....Scott at his salary more impt to team than Gaustad at his...

So ya, we'll take Scott, Thorton's concussion, and the B's fear of him....

Guastad could not have taken on Lucic and won....Scott can, and will beat Lucic down given the chance....Lucic better watch it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad