Gauging fan interest from last season to next season

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I can't wait to watch this team, I think Bertuzzi and Domi give them the best top 6 that they have had in 20 years, because it's actually a top 6, not a top 4 with 2 ?.

That being said the bottom 6 needs some work, not as much as some believe it does, but it does.

I like Jarnkrok as 3rd line RW I think that's where he should be, I like Knies starting at 3rd line LW, I think he gets to the top 6 eventually but I like him starting as the 3rd line LW there is no need to rush him.

I like David Kampf but I would rather see him as 4th line center, I do think there is hole at 3rd line center, I would expect that's an area they address at the deadline probably with Mikeal Backlund seeing as Treliving knows him.

I also like the defense but they need a piece there again I could see Brad looking to Calgary and picking asup Tanev, Zadorov or Hanifin.

There are a couple holes but I don't think this team needs much

Reactions: weems

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
I watched pretty much every game up until they lost to Montreal in the playoffs. I pretty much lost my mind and realized it’s not worth it, this team is clearly not a group of winners. So I just watch a game here and there and then watch them lose in the playoffs. Will be the same next year, can’t imagine they win anything with Keefe still around.

Reactions: the squared circle

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Been losing steady interest since the pandemic. It is nice to watch my team win, but I have other hobbies that take up my time, and lately I have been very disappointed with the direction of the NHL overall.
Yep...My interest has waned as the style of play has changed and the inability of Bettman to understand the game has persisted. He's a business man and his mandate is to keep the owners happy. The fans and players are secondary to him.

Reactions: ToneDog

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I've been a fan for 65 years. Would never miss a game. The last 5 years or so I've missed several games due to other interests and noticed it didn't bother me at all. There is ,and has been for a very long time, a cultural problem with this whole organization. I liked the Sittler/McDonald years, the Gilmour/Clark years and the Sundin/Roberts years and that's about it in over 6 decades of cheering for this team. Disinterest toward this team , which is more of a red flag than anger, from long-standing fans seems to be growing but this clueless organization doesn't even know it's going on. Combiined with new Canadians and other sports gaining ground MLSE will one day be wondering what happened.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
My interst will be the same. It is Hockey. It is the NHL. It is the Leafs. Same interest.

I was hoping for more changes in the roster though, swapping out 1/2 of the top 4 core though, to me this group is just not likeable.

Same interest, less enthusiasm due to the same core being here.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
About the same. I think the only thing that would ramp it up would be looking at the roster and seeing a genuine Stanley Cup contender. It would lessen if we looked like a lottery team just starting a rebuild.
So same old same old for me.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Interest is there now, with the additions of Bertuzzi/Domi/Klingberg/Reaves. I'd still like to see more change but I was hesitant to tune into the regular season, but I'll probably watch all 82. Will be exciting to see what the new guys do and how they're deployed. A full 82 games to get prepared for the post-season.

Reactions: ACC1224

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
It never gets old watching Marner out there imo. He's so good, especially live.

My enjoyment of hockey has never been dependent on winning it all, I love hockey, period.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It never gets old watching Marner out there imo. He's so good, especially live.

My enjoyment of hockey has never been dependent on winning it all, I love hockey, period.
Me too.

I guess the others will watch the Bachelor or Survivor, something like that.

Reactions: Smif

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Me too.

I guess the others will watch the Bachelor or Survivor, something like that.
I bought a great TV last year. A new Samsung qd OLED 65" for my den.
This year, I am gutting the main floor of my house and will get the 77" version for over the fireplace of my living room. S95c model.
Like hell will there ever be a bachelor or survivor on while there is a leaf game on.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Last year, my level of excitement for regular season play was at its lowest. I only cared about playoff success, as the regular season was basically a formality; we’d make the playoffs and it was only a matter of who we’d end up playing in the first round.

Even worse, we knew we were playing the Lightning quite early, so there wasn’t even that excitement to look forward too.

With the changes that BT has made so far, it looks like I’m finally going to get to see the type of Leafs team I wanted; one with more grit and snarl, mixed with seriously talented players. Brad has more to do and it seems that he’s still looking to add even more toughness.

That gets me pretty excited and I’m definitely looking forward to watching the regular season this time around!

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It's just entertainment for me. I'll watch just as much win or lose.

How many games I watch depends on what else is going on in my life. Watching Hockey is enjoyable, but it's towards the bottom of the list.

Same for most others, I suppose.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Brad is being smarter than Dubas. To see a Leaf team more in mold is of not fun to play against. We need something on the backend and it will cost one of the big four to get it.

PeteBestondrums

Jul 1, 2023
I'll watch most games but it's hard to get excited about the core 4 when they won't even defend themselves in a tussle, never mind stick their nose out fir teammates. Not a very likeable group to me.
I suppose younger fans wouldn't be bothered by such things as much.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I know nothing is going to change but already looking forward to next season. I feel like as the years go on though it is harder and harder to get into it because I really don't believe in the team.

Last year I watched probably 81 games, missed 1 due to the birth of my child. I'll watch 99% of them again, but I watch other teams a lot and that satisfies my hockey needs following teams and watching them find success or fall flat. At least the outcome is unknown.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
I've put up with 12am and later starts for the past decade (living in Europe). But at the point now where I care less than I used to, I certainly don't mind missing the odd game. Expecting this trend to continue though I hope we find a way to get over the hump in the playoffs.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
I'm basically checked out as a Leafs fan and a hockey fan and I think it's because I'm a season ticket holder. The price gouging has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I've already committed to the tickets for this season, but I will not be getting playoff tickets and will not be renewing my tickets for next year. Maybe getting rid of the tickets will rejuvenate some of the passion I used to have for this team, but right now I'm bitter

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
There is gonna be a bit of a long winded question so please read it all;

How engaged were you with the team this most recent season, did you watch all of the games? Most? Some games? Less than usual? and why?

If Sept 1st rolls around, the core 4 are here, Keefe is here, Rielly is here and we've changed things on the fringes...where do you see your level of interest / engagement in watching the team next season? Will you still watch every game? most? some? less? Why?

I know some people watch less as they get older with more responsibilities, kids, wife, job responsibilities etc so it's not because there is displeasure with the team or anything, you love the team but life is busy.

My answer:

I'll be in honest in that my viewing habits having been on the downswing for the last couple of seasons, I don't even know if I sat through 10 entire games last year, maybe the odd period etc but I just didn't care. I check in for the playoffs because at that point, that's what I need to see, playoff success.

I thought the series win would have re-invigorated me as a fan and then the way things ended with Florida...it felt like all that goodwill and optimism just went in the toilet.

Now seeing that this team could be more or less the same collection of losers next season? I'm thinking I am gonna be in the range of 0-5 games, Knies would be about the only intriguing to see at this point until the playoffs rolled around again, maybe Woll's starts too.

Where are you at as a fan?
If they run the core back, I’ll watch some games, but only to see Knies, Domi, and some Bertuzzi as well. When the playoffs start, though, I’ll once again watch every game.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I will still watch every game I am able to as well. I'm a Leafs fan, always will be. As @ACC1224 said, I watch because I enjoy it. Why would I change that? I still find it entertaining, and we have a very good team to cheer for. Frustrating? For sure.... what fun would it be without adversity?!

I am curious what any who only claim to watch a few games in the regular season, but watch the playoffs unfold will say if there is a deep run......are you really a hard core/die hard fan, and are you going to crow about how you never missed a game???
Say what you want, but it’s hard to cheer for a core who seem to care much more about their bank accounts than they do about winning. We‘ll see if Matthews and Nylander still feel the same way soon enough. And next year we’ll see where Marner’s head is at. Also, we will see where Shanny and the board are at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad