Value of: Gaudreau

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Why is Barrie keep getting brought up. Why would we want a expiring deal that we wouldn't even consider resigning?

Let Gaudreau get out of his funk and ship him out in the summer. The thought of paying him ~11M scares the shit out of me.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What direction are the Flames heading in? Is both Gaudreau (2.75 years left) and Monahan (3.75 years left) available? How much am I short? Or are you after guys like Domi, Suzuki, Caufield?

Not even sure I would do this as a Habs fan but what would it take to get both?
- Kotkaniemi, Brook, 2020 2nd for Monahan?
- Tatar, Primeau, 2020 1st for Gaudreau? Byron added for cap reasons.

Hit me. I don't care, just wondering what package you would take

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I'd give Byram + 2020 1st.

Or this if they like Newhook enough:

Newhook + Annunen + Jost/Compher + 2020 1st + 2021 2nd

Avs can only really offer futures based package as we're trying to compete.​

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013

Lol zero chance the Flames entertain a trade with the Avalanche after last year.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Lets just not please.
Especially the first one is ugly. Avs have the unique chance to have a great D and great forward group for a few years in a capworld.
You don't waste that to overload at forward and go all-in right now.

I wouldn't mind the second one as much but that is still basically all our cheap quality talent upfront which means that we won't have anything coming in once Mac/Landy/Makar are on their next contracts. Not ideal to say the least. Especially given that we probably can't afford Gaudreau 3 years from now anyways and that he is rumored to want to play in NY as well.

Do the Avs really need more highend talent? Or could we use a bit more depth that can be acquired cheaper while keeping our pipeline going to help us out once we face the inevitable cap crunch...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
What direction are the Flames heading in? Is both Gaudreau (2.75 years left) and Monahan (3.75 years left) available? How much am I short? Or are you after guys like Domi, Suzuki, Caufield?

I'd do that deal for Monahan in a heartbeat. Flames are pretty set at LD, but RD will be a need going into next year. Brook would be a nice piece, Kotkaniemi is struggling, but he's 19. The big win on this from a Flames perspective is saving 3m in cap space and not needing to re-sign one of Brodie or Hamonic.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I'm just not high on Byram. I've watched him lots and don't think he'll be a top pairing guy at the next level. I'd love to get Makar...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lets just not please.
Especially the first one is ugly. Avs have the unique chance to have a great D and great forward group for a few years in a capworld.
You don't waste that to overload at forward and go all-in right now.

I wouldn't mind the second one as much but that is still basically all our cheap quality talent upfront which means that we won't have anything coming in once Mac/Landy/Makar are on their next contracts. Not ideal to say the least. Especially given that we probably can't afford Gaudreau 3 years from now anyways and that he is rumored to want to play in NY as well.

Do the Avs really need more highend talent? Or could we use a bit more depth that can be acquired cheaper while keeping our pipeline going to help us out once we face the inevitable cap crunch...
Bolded is false. I get your other points though. He's said it would be nice playing in Philly, but also said he would like to be a lifetime Flame.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd do that deal for Monahan in a heartbeat. Flames are pretty set at LD, but RD will be a need going into next year. Brook would be a nice piece, Kotkaniemi is struggling, but he's 19. The big win on this from a Flames perspective is saving 3m in cap space and not needing to re-sign one of Brodie or Hamonic.

Not sure what the Habs fan base would feel and I'm undecided. Cause it would be an all in move for the short term (Monahan for 3.75 years and Gaudreau for 2.75 years). The idea is to add both if possible but that depends on the Flames direction.

Not sure I would go after just one of them. It would be a blockbuster move with a shit load of youth going the Flames way. I broke it down to make it easier to evaluate but I'm not making one trade without the other.

How do you feel about the Gaudreau offer?

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not sure what the Habs fan base would feel and I'm undecided. Cause it would be an all in move for the short term (Monahan for 3.75 years and Gaudreau for 2.75 years). The idea is to add both if possible but that depends on the Flames direction.

Not sure I would go after just one of them. It would be a blockbuster move with a **** load of youth going the Flames way. I broke it down to make it easier to evaluate but I'm not making one trade without the other.

How do you feel about the Gaudreau offer?
Heartily dislike the Gaudreau offer. He's streaky, but when he's on he can carry your team offensively. He's a guy who will score 100+ points in the league. I'd want a piece that has potential to become high end like Kotkaniemi. I'm not sure what Tatar is honestly. He can be a top 6 player for stretches and a healthy scratch for stretches.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Heartily dislike the Gaudreau offer. He's streaky, but when he's on he can carry your team offensively. He's a guy who will score 100+ points in the league. You aren't offering up anything with potential for 50 unless the pick ends up being high.

My problem is the term left with Gaudreau. It's not horrible but he is very close to UFA. You don't like Primeau? The kid is lights out in the AHL this year as a 20 year old. Contrary to the believe, not all goalie prospects are the same and some Habs fans have him ranked 2nd behind Caufield. If we didn't have Price, he would be an untouchable.

I doubt either team makes this kind of move anyways but fun to talk about what if's

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Not a fan of either team but if preds an flames both have disappointing playoffs this year maybe a johansen +tolvanen + 1st/tomasino for gaudreau?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
My problem is the term left with Gaudreau. It's not horrible but he is very close to UFA. You don't like Primeau? The kid is lights out in the AHL this year as a 20 year old. Contrary to the believe, not all goalie prospects are the same and some Habs fans have him ranked 2nd behind Caufield. If we didn't have Price, he would be an untouchable.

I doubt either team makes this kind of move anyways but fun to talk about what if's
2.75 years is a good amount of term. Goaltenders are voodoo. We've had highly regarded guys who crapped the bed (Kidd, Parsons, Gillies) and unheralded guys who stole the #1 job (Kipper, Rittich). I honestly don't know how to evaluate goaltenders when they are prospects. Primeau could be Carey Price 2.0 or he could wash out. I like him as much as any "maybe" goaltending prospect. The sure fire guys are rare. Names like Luongo, Fleury, Price. Even some of them wash out. (Dipietro, Campbell, Blackburn)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not a fan of either team but if preds an flames both have disappointing playoffs this year maybe a johansen +tolvanen + 1st/tomasino for gaudreau?
Attractive offer for sure. Stock on Tolvanen has taken a big hit, but upside is still there.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If the Flames are trading Gaudreau, it's either for an upgrade at #1 C, or they are blowing it up. I really don't see the Flames blowing it up right now.

Reactions: viper0220

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Are you using Nolan Patrick as your starting point for Johnny Gaudreau ? The same Patrick that has migraine issues and never had more than 31 points in a season? Start with Couturier and start adding from there. Imagine Giroux and Gaudreau together on the same line and you'll understand why it starts with Couturier.
Couturier is better, better contract, 6'4 monster, center, is as good defensively as gaudreau is offensively and his offensive game is just a notch below gaudreau. Same age as well.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
If the Flames are trading Gaudreau, it's either for an upgrade at #1 C, or they are blowing it up. I really don't see the Flames blowing it up right now.

Realistically the only guy that is somewhat attainable that roughly might fit the bill is Ryan Johansen. And even there I am not all that sure.
Really don't see any other young, quality C even remotely available for Gaudreau. Maybe Sam Reinhart (isn't he playing wing atm? )?
Both seem rather unlikely.

So basically Gaudreau is staying with the Flames if they are not blowing it up IMO.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing

you're a habs fan? 1st one is just disgusting for mtl
second one theres no chance flames do it

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
you're a habs fan? 1st one is just disgusting for mtl
second one theres no chance flames do it
Cut him some slack. He made realistic offers. I do think the 1st is an overpay by the Habs and the 2nd isn't enough. But he's not miles off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->