Gaudreau vs Marner

Gaudreau or Marner?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Marner is literally putting up Pt/GP pace two years before Gaudreau did.

Players age differently.
Is Hanifin >> Reilly because he's doing much more impressive things at the same age as Morgan?

I don't think it's as much as to how many points they're respectively putting up, more-so how they're putting it up. Right? Gaudreau is his teams' office, like, without him I don't think they score more than 1 goal a game. Marner is third or fourth fiddle on the team.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Players age differently.
Is Hanifin >> Reilly because he's doing much more impressive things at the same age as Morgan?

I don't think it's as much as to how many points they're respectively putting up, more-so how they're putting it up. Right? Gaudreau is his teams' office, like, without him I don't think they score more than 1 goal a game. Marner is third or fourth fiddle on the team.

It looked like Marner lead his team in scoring last year?

The point was that the poster is pointing out that Marner "may" reach Gaudreau's level when on points alone, he's two years ahead of him (most of that at an age where Gaudreau was still playing college hockey).

As a side note I am not sure why you think Hanifin was so much more impressive? Speaking merely points, to the same point in their careers Hanifin was 0.35 to Rielly's 0.36 and peaks to that point was Hanifin at .41 to Rielly's .37.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Marner has a higher ceiling, yet Gaudreau is ALOT more proven.

Still betting on Marner (Marner is also better defensively)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Players age differently.

Marner I think has been a better player than Tavares so far. Still early but I wouldn't be shocked to see it continue.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Also though the sample is small for both so far Marner has 13 points in 13 playoff games (+3) at ages where Gaudreau wasn't in the NHL yet and Gaudreau has 11 in 15 (-6).

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Marner has a higher ceiling?
Not likely. JG had 84 points last season and has 16 points in 13 games so far this year. Let’s see Marner crack 70 points before talking about him having a ceiling anywhere near Johnny Hockey.
And Marner is not better defensively.
Nice try though.
Why not just say you’re going to always vote for the Leafs player instead of inventing reasons to justify it.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Didn’t you know Johnny is 20 years older than Marner and clearly has plateaued at 84 points

Age is always a factor in this debate, yet when it’s brought up against a Leaf player it gets ignored pretty fast
Too true. And Marners career high of 69 points also gets ignored quickly and the goal posts are moved to calendar year numbers!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Too true. And Marners career high of 69 points also gets ignored quickly and the goal posts are moved to calendar year numbers!

Lol "career high"... He's been in the league 2 seasons. Anyone who watches him regularly knows his potential is Gaudreau minimum. I mean unless he retires tomorrow or something I would feel comfortable saying he will be a pretty regular point per game+ player in the league.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Lol "career high"... He's been in the league 2 seasons. Anyone who watches him regularly knows his potential is Gaudreau minimum. I mean unless he retires tomorrow or something I would feel comfortable saying he will be a pretty regular point per game+ player in the league.

You obviously dont watch gaudreau regularly if you think his potential can be hit so easily.
Marner has a long way to go before he comes close to the player Gaudreau currently is.

Wi be interesting to see if he can take the step and carry his team while Mathews is out

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You obviously dont watch gaudreau regularly if you think his potential can be hit so easily.
Marner has a long way to go before he comes close to the player Gaudreau currently is.

Wi be interesting to see if he can take the step and carry his team while Mathews is out

I know exactly how good Gaudreau is and he's better than Marner right now but it seems to me some are not aware of Marner though. 79 in his last 80 and 9 points in 7 playoff games, I don't think he's going to break a massive sweat taking the giant leap. 15 in 11 and he's been better in the second half of the season every year since junior.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Gaudreau minimum??????
Sounds realistic.
:laugh:

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Yeah, no.

I watch a lot of both players and Gaudreau's talent is in a separate class. Much shiftier and more dangerous offensive player. I think it will always be that way. That's not knock on Marner you're just criminally underrating JG by assuming your guy will automatically be as good as him.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Marner is literally putting up Pt/GP pace two years before Gaudreau did.

2 years before? Gaudreau put up 79p in 80gp as a 22 year old. Marner is already 21.

And if you are doing wrap around seasons - Gaudreau had 83p in an 80 game stretch between the ages of 21-22, and he did it with significantly less help.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Gaudreau is a puppet master. The only reason he doesn't have even higher numbers is cause sometimes his linemates can't finish. If you watch him you know he's one of, if not the best passers and playmakers in the league.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad