Speculation: Gaudreau seeking $8M annually on new deal with Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
It may not happen as I outline it below, but I think there is way to give Johnny Hockey a big contract and still keep the average under what Gio makes.

Here's what I propose:

Year 1: 6.4
Year 2: 6.4
Year 3: 6.7
Year 4: 6.7
Year 5: 7.0
Year 6: 7.0
Year 7: 7.7

The first 6 years Johnny has an AAV of 6.7. This is under Giordano overall AAV. Plus by the time year 5,6,7 roll around Gio may not be here anymore.

Johnny gets the max up tick in the final year and allows himself to have 7.7 to negotiate off of on his deal going into unrestricted free agency.

In the first 2 years he makes just more then Mony
In years 3 and 4 he makes just less then Gio
In years 5 and 6 he makes more then Gio, but the AAV of years 1-6 is 6.7 mill (just under what Gio's average is)
Then the last year is a higher price tag.

I realize many may believe what I have proposed is low. But Johnny has only played 2 years and is 1 year older than Monahan. He also has no leverage.

This would be a different story if either side decided that they wanted a bridge deal afterall.
The average is still more than Gio's. $6.84m isn't enough to sign Gaudreau period.

The only people that care about Gio's money is management(and mostly it's a steaming pile of poop), players could care less about being the top paid and if they do..they don't last long enough for it to be an issue.

I'll repeat,on a long term deal he's going to get slightly less than Tarasenko and only less because he's not Russian.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Well thought out? It goes on to detail several Art Rosa and Hart trophies...

JG is not even a top 10 (arguably not even top 20) forward right now, yet all of a sudden he's top 5 and is a league MVP multiple times?

Not likely.

I understand he said best case scenario, but that isn't even realistic. Best case for JG is a top 10 forward in his prime and maybe just maybe he gets an Art Ross.

He finished 6th in league scoring as a sophomore playing on one of the worst teams in the league. You'll have to review the list of players who have done that.

Based on the unrelenting development curve, his best case scenario is closer to best player in the world. He is bar none the smartest player in the game. That's typically synonymous with "best player".

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
He finished 6th in league scoring as a sophomore playing on one of the worst teams in the league. You'll have to review the list of players who have done that.

Based on the unrelenting development curve, his best case scenario is closer to best player in the world. He is bar none the smartest player in the game. That's typically synonymous with "best player".

Unrelenting curve? He's had 2 seasons...

I'm not alighting Gaudreau, I think he's a good player, but this best player in the world nonsense is just that...nonsense. I know Flames fans haven't had a ton to be excited about, but this has got to stop. We saw this same crap with Monahan, who is indeed a fine player, but wasn't close to what people here were suggesting he was.

Gaudreau is a good player. Close to best in the world? Not. Even. Close.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Connor mcdavid will be the first max contract player in the league. Period.

Why? PPG in his rookie year, great. But what has he done/will he do in the remaining two years of his ELC to command more than the likes of Malkin/Kane/Ovechkin?

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
If that is the absolute best-case scenario, then obviously 8 million per on an 8 year deal would be a ludicrous overpayment, because that is what you would pay a player who is the best winger in the world that's in JG's contract situation.

The level of play that he brings and the contributions that he makes are impressive. He puts butts in seats better than almost everyone. But he does not deserve to be paid 8 million per season, in fact he barely deserves 7.5, based on comparables and logic.

If Gaudreau's camp is asking for 8+ million per, they obviously think he will be one of the top 5 players in the league for an appreciable portion of his contract. He probably won't be, and the Flames shouldn't (and hopefully won't) pay him like he will be.

You forgot about the "I don't want to spend 8 years with Calgary" fee

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Why? PPG in his rookie year, great. But what has he done/will he do in the remaining two years of his ELC to command more than the likes of Malkin/Kane/Ovechkin?

I suspect Gaudreau views himself as being as important to the Flames as the three players you mentioned above are to their respective teams.

Ask yourself this: How much would it cost the Flames to replace Gaudreau with a comparable player?

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
The kid looks like he could hit 100pts already.

Right. "Could". Hasn't done it yet.

The kid has a ridiculous skill set and the most potential of any player I've seen in a long time. That said,

He "should" have dominated the world juniors - didn't.

He "should" have led the Oilers to the playoffs - didn't. (he was injured)

He "should" have been, far and away, the best player on team NA - wasn't even top 5.

I just think if he's going to become the highest paid player in the league, it should be for what he has done, not what he will/could/should do.

(sorry for getting off topic)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Right. "Could". Hasn't done it yet.

The kid has a ridiculous skill set and the most potential of any player I've seen in a long time. That said,

He "should" have dominated the world juniors - didn't.

He "should" have led the Oilers to the playoffs - didn't. (he was injured)

He "should" have been, far and away, the best player on team NA - wasn't even top 5.

I just think if he's going to become the highest paid player in the league, it should be for what he has done, not what he will/could/should do.

(sorry for getting off topic)

Wasn't even the best player on Team North America. Kid will have a lot to prove this year. Edmonton loaded up...the stakes are high.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
McDavid was the best player on team NA imo. He's going to challenge for the Art Ross in both the next two years and will be paid as such.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
McDavid was the best player on team NA imo. He's going to challenge for the Art Ross in both the next two years and will be paid as such.

Not a chance. Austin Matthews was by far and away the best player on NA. Not saying McDavid was bad but he was the clear #2. Still good...Matthews was just better.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Not a chance. Austin Matthews was by far and away the best player on NA. Not saying McDavid was bad but he was the clear #2. Still good...Matthews was just better.

Yeah I don't agree. Matthews really benefitted from playing with McDavid, not the other way around. I wasn't a fan of the way Matthews floated around the defensive zone waiting for an opportunity to blow the zone.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The average is still more than Gio's. $6.84m isn't enough to sign Gaudreau period.

The only people that care about Gio's money is management(and mostly it's a steaming pile of poop), players could care less about being the top paid and if they do..they don't last long enough for it to be an issue.

I'll repeat,on a long term deal he's going to get slightly less than Tarasenko and only less because he's not Russian.

Players might not often care about being the top paid on the team, but I guarantee the salary structure of a team matters. If you have a team where nobody makes over 7 million, then expectations on that team will be different than playing on a team where there's at least one player making more than that. It also makes things easier to negotiate if you say "we have this explicit salary structure, and we want to make sure everyone fits within it"; it's not like 6.75 million is chump change in the NHL, either. Especially not for a second contract.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Players might not often care about being the top paid on the team, but I guarantee the salary structure of a team matters. If you have a team where nobody makes over 7 million, then expectations on that team will be different than playing on a team where there's at least one player making more than that. It also makes things easier to negotiate if you say "we have this explicit salary structure, and we want to make sure everyone fits within it"; it's not like 6.75 million is chump change in the NHL, either. Especially not for a second contract.

Good way to make players not wanna play for you.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
Okay, but what compatibles? Who has been top 10 in scoring coming into an RFA contract? Please, list them off, so we can see that this isn't a relatively unique case.

Also, cap will rise. Salary now may be 'overpayment' to outsiders, but given 5 years I doubt it.

I'm not saying Gaudreau is god or the best player in the world, but in every league he's played he grows exponentially every season. Obviously there's a limit, but to suggest that this is all he is after his second season, and that he doesn't have potential to be one of the best in the league when he's already one of the best scorers in the league... I don't know, man. Doesn't seem logical.

Exactly my thoughts! :handclap:

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
MacKinnon was their best forward, Ekblad was their best Dman and Murray was their best goalie.

Edit: None of this is on topic though.

Pretty sure Gaudreau was the best player. Recent poll done about this, Gaudreau won by a decent margin. Was the most consistent player and got points every game. Obviously you can say Matthews or McDavid was better in your eyes but their level of production wasn't near Gaudreaus

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Pretty sure Gaudreau was the best player. Recent poll done about this, Gaudreau won by a decent margin. Was the most consistent player and got points every game. Obviously you can say Matthews or McDavid was better in your eyes but their level of production wasn't near Gaudreaus

a) I don't care about polls
b) I wasn't talking about points
c) I said nothing about Matthews or McDavid

Did you even read my post before responding to it?

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
Unrelenting curve? He's had 2 seasons...

I'm not alighting Gaudreau, I think he's a good player, but this best player in the world nonsense is just that...nonsense. I know Flames fans haven't had a ton to be excited about, but this has got to stop. We saw this same crap with Monahan, who is indeed a fine player, but wasn't close to what people here were suggesting he was.

Gaudreau is a good player. Close to best in the world? Not. Even. Close.

No one said Monahan could be the best player in the world, Gaudreau has all the offensive tools to challenge for the art Ross every year for the next 10 years but somehow he isn't good enough to possibly be the best in the world. Will he be the best in the world? Who knows, does he have the capabilities to be the best player in the NHL in any given season? Yes he does. It obviously would be hard as it is for every player as Crosby hasn't been the best player every season but to say he isn't capable is foolish and severely underestimating his offensive capabilities.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
No one said Monahan could be the best player in the world, Gaudreau has all the offensive tools to challenge for the art Ross every year for the next 10 years but somehow he isn't good enough to possibly be the best in the world. Will he be the best in the world? Who knows, does he have the capabilities to be the best player in the NHL in any given season? Yes he does. It obviously would be hard as it is for every player as Crosby hasn't been the best player every season but to say he isn't capable is foolish and severely underestimating his offensive capabilities.

He's not a center, he's < 6'1", and he's not Canadian, no way he's ever considered best player in the world. Whether he deserves to be or not.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Was referring to above posters there

Then respond directly to them about it.

Imo, the World Cup should have zero influence on Gaudreau's contract negotiation.

Zero.

The Flames aren't paying him for what he did while playing for a made up team, playing what can accurately be described as a real world trial of answering the old question "What do you think would happen if you built a team full of speed and skill and then allowed to players to be as creative as possible?"

It was a fantasy team, that played a fantasy system in a made of tournament whose sole purpose was to bump the stagnant salary cap up a little for next season. I wouldn't put a lot of weight into what happened out there. And I say that as a hockey fan that considers TNA one of the most entertaining hockey teams in recent memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad