Gaudreau: Needs more muscle or he's just fine the way he is?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Personally I'd love to see him show up for camp this year a little stronger. Frankly I think his shot is weak and I think he knows it which is why I think, he passes off so much.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
His shot is fine. He uses an intermediate stick so getting any stronger may likely make his shot less effective.

If anything he could be stronger in the lower half, not be so easy to be knocked off the puck, but at the end of the day, he's the size he's been successful at. Why change it.

Let the personal trainers focus on Bennett

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Gaudreau’s shot is weak but he can score goals with it, he did score 30 the season before this past one. Size hasn’t been too much of an issue for him and although it would be nice for him to get a bit stronger, he’s already an elite player how he currently is.

Guy just needs to shoot more.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Gaudreau played too often in the left wing area last year. Look at his 30G season and so many of his goals were scored from the right side or high slot. That just disn't seem to be there last year.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Strength and size were not his problem last year and will never be his problem because that's not his game. He's also already decently bulky for a guy of his size, if he hit 170 he'd likely just be slow.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Decently bulky? We must be talking about different Gaudreau's
Any pro athlete can be benefit from more strength no matter what their "game" is.
https://flic.kr/p/X4GbfL

Last edited:

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
If he could bulk up his fingers/hands that would be great. As long as he isn't getting his hands chopped off every game and playing with a healthy hand I'm sure he'll be fine.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If he could bulk up his fingers/hands that would be great. As long as he isn't getting his hands chopped off every game and playing with a healthy hand I'm sure he'll be fine.

This. The league came out and said they are going to crack down on slashing. If that happens Johnny will be gold. Being strong doesn't help protect against slashes

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Decently bulky? We must be talking about different Gaudreau's
Any pro athlete can be benefit from more strength no matter what their "game" is.
https://flic.kr/p/X4GbfL

My mistake, I thought he was 167 instead of 157. Nonetheless I doubt that 10lbs of muscle were what derailed his season last year; he could add some weight but I don't think we'd see his play improve. For a guy his size he really rarely gets knocked down if you think about it, he's smart about what sort of play is gonna get him tied up physically and what's gonna have him coming away with the puck.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gaudreau needs to focus on playing his game. Last year seemed full of distractions and he was whining more than I like to see. Monahan struggled for awhile, he played through it, kept his head down went about his business and did his job. That's what I like to see from a Flame as a fan. Johnny has known he's been small since birth, it's never gonna change. He needs to continue to find ways to be better and smarter than everyone else on the ice and find holes in the defence. Putting on 10lbs isn't going to affect his game, but I agree added lower body strength won't hurt him.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Gaudreau's biggest problem last year was that there was no Jiri Hudler for him to bounce the puck off. If we find him a better linemate on the right side, he'll be a PPG player again.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Gaudreau's biggest problem last year was that there was no Jiri Hudler for him to bounce the puck off. If we find him a better linemate on the right side, he'll be a PPG player again.

In the 23 games Gaudreau played since Ferland was promoted to that line, he had 7 goals and 19 assists.

That prorates to 25G / 68A / 93P on 14.9% shooting (had career 14.3% shooting percentage before last season started)

Excited to see what happens next year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

I disagree. Obviously that contributed. He just didn't seem like himself for half a season or so. When he's on he can make anyone look good.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I disagree. Obviously that contributed. He just didn't seem like himself for half a season or so. When he's on he can make anyone look good.

There were a lot of growing pains initially throughout the whole team that I think frustrated him. And I think Johnny is kind of a little **** and that playing a system where the whole strategy isn't "you know, like, pass da puck to Johnny" kinda bugged him as well. But far and away his biggest problem was no good third linemate.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gaudrea needs to improve his shot too. After three seasons pretty well everyone has a book on him and they know that he's more likely to pass than shoot. More upper body strength will make his wrist shot quicker and harder. He's not playing against college goalies anymore. Most everyone who makes it to the NHL needs to get stronger. Not sure why so many people seem to think Gaudreau's should be the exception. I'm not saying he should look like a pro wrestler but I don't think an extra 10 lbs of muscle would be too difficult to add.

Just my opinion. Right now Johnny's got a wrist shot that's about as hard as a muffin and he looks like he's never lifted a set of weights in his life.

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I don't think it would hurt. He doesn't need to become a monster, but it sounds like he really doesn't work out particularly heavy (or eat particularly well) compared to other NHLers. He's already laser accurate and pretty deceptive with his shot; if he could get it going a bit harder, it'd be nice. Similarly, he's already an elite skater, but a little more muscle to improve his balance won't hurt, and maybe he's even got a little more speed he can squeeze out of him.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
He's just fine the way he is and I don't want him or any other Flames player to put on unnecessary weight on purpose. The heavier the player, the slower and more injury-prone.

Gaudreau did very well last season and trying to find fault with his performance and change his game from the outside because of his poor luck with shooting percentages is pointless.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's just fine the way he is and I don't want him or any other Flames player to put on unnecessary weight on purpose. The heavier the player, the slower and more injury-prone.

Gaudreau did very well last season and trying to find fault with his performance and change his game from the outside because of his poor luck with shooting percentages is pointless.

Exactly and he's not Mike Cammaleri, he plays a different game and as weird as it sounds being smaller is more beneficial to his style.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Do you really think that if Gaudreau's adds 10 lbs of muscle distributed between his upper and lower body that will make him slower? What scientific basis do you attribute that to? if your theory was correct all world class sprinters would be skinny. Not. Also where do you come up with the belief that adding 10 lbs will make him injury prone? I call BS. I say it will make him less injury prone. A weak person is more prone to injury than a strong person as long as that strong person is still flexible.
Adding 10 lbs of muscle onto Johnny's skinny frame will not make him inflexible. I say it will make him stronger on his skates, quicker, and give him a harder shot. Look at any Olympic sport where strength, speed, and endurance is an asset and you won't find a skinny successful competitor anywhere.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Do you really think that if Gaudreau's adds 10 lbs of muscle distributed between his upper and lower body that will make him slower? What scientific basis do you attribute that to? if your theory was correct all world class sprinters would be skinny. Not. Also where do you come up with the belief that adding 10 lbs will make him injury prone? I call BS. I say it will make him less injury prone. A weak person is more prone to injury than a strong person as long as that strong person is still flexible.
Adding 10 lbs of muscle onto Johnny's skinny frame will not make him inflexible. I say it will make him stronger on his skates, quicker, and give him a harder shot. Look at any Olympic sport where strength, speed, and endurance is an asset and you won't find a skinny successful competitor anywhere.

Honestly "adding ten pounds of muscle" seems like an artificially imposed target. He should keep with his training regimen and try to improve upon his own scores. Not try to add 10 pounds for the sake of adding ten pounds.

I trained to be a hockey player for a long time and it takes a long time to build fast twitch muscle fibres. Bulking up by lifting weights is below several other forms of strength training IMO.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I may not be the smartest person, so correct me if I'm wrong. But simple physics suggests that if 2 objects hit each other, the larger in size the objects are the bigger the impact will be. IMO, larger size power forwards tend to have shorter careers largely for this reason.

Obviously if a smaller player is getting crushed often, it's not going to be a good result. But I think Gaudreau absorbs less impact simply because he's smaller. Also, the fact he's so elusive due to being small in stature really helps his durability.

I think the biggest thing Gaudreau shoule focus on is improving his speed. This is the single most important aspect to his game to avoid getting hit ultimately making him the most effective. Adding size and mass to his game is not going to help his cause. He needs to realize his strength to his game and maximize his ability within that to be the best possible version of himself.

Aug 3, 2010
Gaudrea needs to improve his shot too. After three seasons pretty well everyone has a book on him and they know that he's more likely to pass than shoot. More upper body strength will make his wrist shot quicker and harder. He's not playing against college goalies anymore. Most everyone who makes it to the NHL needs to get stronger. Not sure why so many people seem to think Gaudreau's should be the exception. I'm not saying he should look like a pro wrestler but I don't think an extra 10 lbs of muscle would be too difficult to add.

Just my opinion. Right now Johnny's got a wrist shot that's about as hard as a muffin and he looks like he's never lifted a set of weights in his life.
Why do you have such an emphasis on what Gaudreau "needs to do" by simply "adding strength"?

There have been plenty of players who have had outstanding assist totals in their career and prefer to get it done by letting players who have a better shot do their job. Thornton, Datsyuk, H. Sedin, Tanguay, etc. all known for their playmaking ability and at an elite level. There's nothing wrong with that.

Gaudreau should focus on dekes and passes and the occasional shot to keep the opposition honest. He may not beat them often with a wrister but it's about playing the mind games. But that's hockey IQ/mental training, not physical.

Gaudreau is who he is and how he got to the NHL is by playing his game and he has done so successfully. He should focus on honing his existing assets, not wasting resources on developing physical abilities he was never blessed with.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Honestly "adding ten pounds of muscle" seems like an artificially imposed target. He should keep with his training regimen and try to improve upon his own scores. Not try to add 10 pounds for the sake of adding ten pounds.

I trained to be a hockey player for a long time and it takes a long time to build fast twitch muscle fibres. Bulking up by lifting weights is below several other forms of strength training IMO.

Can't be emphasized enough, but I'll QFT.

Eh, it depends on what kind of strength training you do. And you don't build up fast muscle twitch fibres. You are either born with fast twitch fibres or you're not. You can improve your slow twitch muscles, but they can never become fast twitch.

It depends on how your bulking up. Body building would be the worst of the 3 strength training options (bodybuilding, powerlifting,and Olympic Weightlifting)for hockey.

For hockey players, Olympic Weightlifting is the best option. For any sport really, since all the training is transferrable to all sports. It helps with explosiveness, power, and strength.

Don't get me wrong. There's merit in all 3 , It just depends on what your training for.

And adding 10lbs would be fine over time rather than after one summer of training. Most people here are thinking that he would be adding 10lbs right away, and probably mostly to his upper body. He definitely would improve as a player, and I don't think he would need to add anymore weight after that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad