Proposal: Gaudreau (CGY) for Brady Tkachuk (OTT)

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
LOL. "Would Ottawa be willing to give up Brady for Gaudreau?"

Gosh I dunno... Gaudreau's a good player and all but that Brady Tkachuk is a shoo-in to be way better. :biglaugh:

The better question would be: “Would Eugene approve adding another $6.75mil to the payroll at the expense of a dirt cheap elc?”

Common sense would say yes but common sense is in short supply in our management.

I think a better proposal would've been Juuso Valimaki for Brady Tkachuk. Top prospect for top prospect. And if you want to reunite the Stone bros. as well, Sam Bennett + prospect (Dillon Dube/Tyler Parsons) + 1st (2019) for Mark Stone.

No. And no. (Better than Johnny for Brady, still not good though) We aren’t trading Brady.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The better question would be: “Would Eugene approve adding another $6.75mil to the payroll at the expense of a dirt cheap elc?”

Common sense would say yes but common sense is in short supply in our management.
There is no doubt teh Sens would say yes, but then they would flip Gaudreau to another team to save the money.

Reactions: Pure

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I think a better proposal would've been Juuso Valimaki for Brady Tkachuk. Top prospect for top prospect. And if you want to reunite the Stone bros. as well, Sam Bennett + prospect (Dillon Dube/Tyler Parsons) + 1st (2019) for Mark Stone.

I'd rather hold onto the stud defensive prospect right now. Its not a bad offer, I just think that Valimaki will be better then Brady value wise. Not interested at all in the second one, and with the Flames missing the first round of the draft last year, dumping another first rounder for a likely departing stone isn't that interesting.

member 157595

Tkachuk 1) is unproven at the NHL level; and 2) doesn't even have a realistic chance of being the point producer Gaudreau has already proven to be.

I'm well aware they bring different games, but Calgary gets much worse in the present and worse in the future after this hypothetical trade. If I'm a rival GM I throw a party if Calgary downgrades from Gaudreau to Brady Tkachuk.

Reactions: Pure

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd rather hold onto the stud defensive prospect right now. Its not a bad offer, I just think that Valimaki will be better then Brady value wise. Not interested at all in the second one, and with the Flames missing the first round of the draft last year, dumping another first rounder for a likely departing stone isn't that interesting.

I think a lot of people will wake up to Juuso Valimaki sooner rather than later. The guy gets almost no attention, or love on this forum.

No major holes to his game. Elite offensive ability, high IQ, big, good skater and an absolute workhorse in terms of improving/conditioning. He almost played his way onto the Flames defense last season in the preseason... as a kid, with 6 guys who have been long time NHLers in front of him. There's a chance of him making Calgary out of Camp this season, he'll at least be a top 4D in Stockton... which is pretty decent.

Reactions: Deen

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think a lot of people will wake up to Juuso Valimaki sooner rather than later. The guy gets almost no attention, or love on this forum.

No major holes to his game. Elite offensive ability, high IQ, big, good skater and an absolute workhorse in terms of improving/conditioning. He almost played his way onto the Flames defense last season in the preseason... as a kid, with 6 guys who have been long time NHLers in front of him. There's a chance of him making Calgary out of Camp this season, he'll at least be a top 4D in Stockton... which is pretty decent.

He's basically a replacement Gio.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Not only is the value way off, it just doesn't make any sense.

The Senators are rebuilding and the Flames are in "prove we're not a bubble team"-now mode.

Brady will likely become one of the league's premier power forwards, but even then he's not worth a franchise winger like Gaudreau.

If the Flames were willing to move Gaudreau, it would be for a much better package. Heck, look at what Duchene got.

You must not know what the one of the words "likely" or "premier" means. Brady is a great prospect, but far from a guarantee to be one of the best power forwards in the league.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Likely =/= guaranteed

In that context, "Likely" means the most probable scenario to occur. It is not "likely" that Brady becomes one of the best power forwards in the league. He will have to work really hard to establish himself as a 1st line forward, yet alone one of the best in the league.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's an overpayment... I am aware. How else do you move the needle to make it happen though?
Brady Tkachuk is not the starting point for a player like Gaudreau. He is a secondary piece to close the cap. It would have to be one of Ottawa's top players + Tkachuk to make any sense at all, and even that doesn't work as all of Ottawa's best players are on short contracts.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
i think Brady can be a top line guy. That's obviously the discore here.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
In that context, "Likely" means the most probable scenario to occur. It is not "likely" that Brady becomes one of the best power forwards in the league. He will have to work really hard to establish himself as a 1st line forward, yet alone one of the best in the league.

I think it is more likely than not that he becomes a top 5-10 power forward in the league. I mean there aren't a ton of great ones to begin with... He's got the pedigree, work ethic, skill set, and natural physical gifts.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Easy pass on Valimaki for Tkachuk.

Valimaki looks pretty good and if Tkachuks last name was Johnson he would have been a mid-1st pick based on his "skills."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad