Proposal: Gaudreau (CGY) for Brady Tkachuk (OTT)

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
So the Flames trade one of their best young players for a month of Mark Stone?

How about Michael Stone for Brady Tkachuk so you can have both Stone? That makes just as much sense.
Tkachuk is just about as untradeable you'll find on the flames, how about we just wait a year and sign Stone for free

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Both Tkachuks is possible to see in Ottawa.

Matt Tkachuk for Mark Stone at the deadline, and there you go.

[mod] The Sens don't have the assets to get MT period.

And Mark Stone's value went down as soon as he signed that one year contract that will lead to being a UFA, and no agent is going to let him sign a contract extension.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Lol what the hell? Gaudreau for a prospect that has yet to show anything at the pro level?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
What?

Stone on a reasonable deal for Tkachuk is a terrible deal, Stone for Tkachuk prior to him signing would have been a fireable offense.

Really? Tkachuk has been quite impressive since his first day as a pro. I think you'll find most Flames fans feel the same way about moving Tkachuk. I'm an Oilers fan with no horse in this race, but am a big fan of both players. If you think Stone will sign an extension, then I completely understand not entertaining the idea (I too prefer Stone). That could be blind optimism though. I can think of many more reasons for Stone to go to UFA than sticking with the Sens. To get Tkachuk for him now means not sweating it out leading up to trade deadline, as well as incentivizing the Brothers Tkachuk to be long term Sens.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Really? Tkachuk has been quite impressive since his first day as a pro. I think you'll find most Flames fans feel the same way about moving Tkachuk. I'm an Oilers fan with no horse in this race, but am a big fan of both players. If you think Stone will sign an extension, then I completely understand not entertaining the idea (I too prefer Stone). That could be blind optimism though. I can think of many more reasons for Stone to go to UFA than sticking with the Sens. To get Tkachuk for him now means not sweating it out leading up to trade deadline, as well as incentivizing the Brothers Tkachuk to be long term Sens.

I am a Flames fan it is an awful deal for the Flames. Tkachuk is much younger/cheaper and the difference in play is not that much currently and potentially equal pretty soon.

Not a chance I give up Tkachuk for Stone whether he has a deal or not.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Nobody with even an inch of hockey sanity trades MT for Stone. The only way that happens is with a gross over payment like Ottawa's number one pick unprotected (That they don't have) and a bunch of their best prospects, because frankly if the Flames are trading Gaudreau its because its a rebuild. But since its not, there's nothing that the Sens have that would move the needle on the Flames trading MT.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Nobody with even an inch of hockey sanity trades MT for Stone. .

If they are both signed to a long term deal for the same amount (i.e 7 yrs/7M), I would consider trading Tkachuk for Stone.

Not saying I would look for such a deal but it's not such a crazy idea. They are both good players

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Its a crazy bad idea. especially since there's a better then average chance that MT is going to be paid less then Stone.

There's no trade there.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Its a crazy bad idea. especially since there's a better then average chance that MT is going to be paid less then Stone.

There's no trade there.

Of course if you take contract into consideration then it's a no deal. Flames have control, Sens do not.

I'd trade Neal for Stone though :naughty:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
A lot of Flames fans became obsessed with Brady because of the last name. He was already overrated by most because of his last name but among many Flames fans this overrating came to an insane level because of the fact that we have Matthew and he is a fan favorite.

So I think it is likely more that he has overrated him because of watching Matthew and now thinks that Brady, based on his last name.
I find most Flames fans are pretty well versed in hockey, The NHL, and players.

The OP exhibits none of those qualities - and again, maybe by design.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Just to add, why would Calgary even want him? He plays the same position as his brother, he’d play on calgary’s second line at best. Trading a legit first line for a guy to play on your second line.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I would feel sorry for Gaudreau if this trade happens...

assuming Karlsson, Stone, Duchene and Ceci leave. Ouch. :O

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Not even remotely close. The stars would have to beyond align for Brady to become anything close to the player Gaudreau is. He hasn't shown that level of offense.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not only is the value way off, it just doesn't make any sense.

The Senators are rebuilding and the Flames are in "prove we're not a bubble team"-now mode.

Brady will likely become one of the league's premier power forwards, but even then he's not worth a franchise winger like Gaudreau.

If the Flames were willing to move Gaudreau, it would be for a much better package. Heck, look at what Duchene got.

Reactions: Dubcity

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I find most Flames fans are pretty well versed in hockey, The NHL, and players.

The OP exhibits none of those qualities - and again, maybe by design.

OP was in favour of trading everything we had on our team to get back into the first round to pick Brady, he loves him some Chucky boys.

That all being said, this doesn't make sense for either team, and Gaudreau has a lot more value than Tkachuk. In fact, due to the current contract situation in Ottawa, Gaudreau has more value than probably anyone; slitting hairs with Karlsson.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Value here is all out of wack. JG is worth a ton more than Brady Tkachuk. Also, aside from the whole brothers angle, which is really pretty meaningless on the ice, CGY needs a JG more than another power forward imo.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Obviously everyone and their brother (lousy pun) know that the brothers will want to play together eventually. Would Ottawa be willing to deal Brady to the Flames so that they can kickstart their rebuild with a guy like Gaudreau so that the brothers can play together ala the Sedins? Obviously Calgary will need to give up some value because no one knows what Brady really is yet, however would the Flames conversely be willing to move their top offensive player for Brady so that they have a future core that will grow up together literally and figuratively?

I think it is an interesting trade that could give Ottawa a star player to build around and sell to their fans. Johnny Hockey is an offensive dynamo, but in the long run maybe uniting the Tkachuk brothers would pay off for Calgary considering the age of their core. At the moment Calgary gives up more value imo, but it is a Hockey trade that could work out for both teams.

Why is that assumed? Outside of hockey, do brothers always work at the same companies?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
LOL. "Would Ottawa be willing to give up Brady for Gaudreau?"

Gosh I dunno... Gaudreau's a good player and all but that Brady Tkachuk is a shoo-in to be way better. :biglaugh:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Honestly, if the package got bigger and more was added to Tkachuk, I'd consider it. Gaudreau isn't the answer in Calgary and if he isn't why not sell him at peak value? Brady Tkachuk alone isn't what you'd want in return.

I'd take something like Pageau + Tkachuk + a pick. To me Pageau and Tkachuk probably gets Calgary closer to being a hard team to beat than having Gadreau.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Tkachuk is just about as untradeable you'll find on the flames, how about we just wait a year and sign Stone for free

Yeah I’ll just wait till Brady signs with Calgary when he plays out the next three years in college.

Why stop there? Why not wait until Calgary-native Taylor Hall is a UFA. Heck.. wait a few more years and maybe William Nylander will want to go back to his birthplace and sign with Calgary when he's 27.

Calgary's top 9 in year 2025:
Hall - Nylander - Stone
Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
M.Tkachuk - B.Tkachuk - Lindholm

You heard here first!

Sep 13, 2009
I think a better proposal would've been Juuso Valimaki for Brady Tkachuk. Top prospect for top prospect. And if you want to reunite the Stone bros. as well, Sam Bennett + prospect (Dillon Dube/Tyler Parsons) + 1st (2019) for Mark Stone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad