GDT: GasCar

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
One other comment - misfit line hasn't been the same the last two games (for all posters who want Smith to be traded if we need to make cap - personally I think McNabb has really stepped up and we can do fine without Martinez, though hopefully we don't need to lose anyone).

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
How many times now has this team been scored on just too immediately be scored on again?

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
One other comment - misfit line hasn't been the same the last two games (for all posters who want Smith to be traded if we need to make cap - personally I think McNabb has really stepped up and we can do fine without Martinez, though hopefully we don't need to lose anyone).
The difference is in the details to me. McNabb is big and strong and defends well and plays hard, but when I put the two side by side, Martinez has more finesse in his defense and he doesnt turn over nearly as often.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I would guess the "d" came into the scrum from the hashmarks on the first.... and god only knows on the second.

But Theodore was the one DeAngelo went after for no reason and Andersen even got involved. If they count the two forwards as a stand in defensman what do they do, let four guys pile on Theodore? I think it was a dumb ref assessment of the situation.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Glad to get a point out of that. The DeAngelo thing with Theodore was.... weird. Don't get what was going on there. DeBoer had the trigger finger on moving the lines which was odd. Wonder if he is being forced to mix combinations in the case there is a trade departure. Find chemistry to go back to.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Glad to get a point out of that. The DeAngelo thing with Theodore was.... weird. Don't get what was going on there. DeBoer had the trigger finger on moving the lines which was odd. Wonder if he is being forced to mix combinations in the case there is a trade departure. Find chemistry to go back to.

IMO that led to him putting Carrier out there, and Carrier wasn't in any position to help Pietrangelo out, which led to the turnover and the game winner.

The 1st goal looked like interference but I'm glad they got a point out of that. I thought it was going to wind up 6-1.

And that Necas kid is going to be a good one in a couple of years.:eek:

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
The difference is in the details to me. McNabb is big and strong and defends well and plays hard, but when I put the two side by side, Martinez has more finesse in his defense and he doesnt turn over nearly as often.

I didn't say Martinez wasn't a bit more reliable than McNabb. My point was that he's nearly as good, has picked up his game considerably this year and if we have to shed cap, Martinez is more replaceable than Smith.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I didn't say Martinez wasn't a bit more reliable than McNabb. My point was that he's nearly as good, has picked up his game considerably this year and if we have to shed cap, Martinez is more replaceable than Smith.

Martinez was just as, if not more reliable defensively as Pietrangelo last season.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Martinez was just as, if not more reliable defensively as Pietrangelo last season.

He's also almost 35 years old and just had a serious head injury. Again, I'm not debating his usefulness, only that it's only a small step down to McNabb IF we have to shed cap, and I'd rather lose him than Smith.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
He's also almost 35 years old and just had a serious head injury. Again, I'm not debating his usefulness, only that it's only a small step down to McNabb IF we have to shed cap, and I'd rather lose him than Smith.
Problem is it isn't a small step to McNabb if Martinez is gone. McNabb isn't the one being scratched if all the D are healthy, it's Coughlin or Hutton which is a much bigger step.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Even if you move Martinez this season to keep Smith there isn't room to sign Smith without moving another high dollar player. So if you're going to have to pay someone to take Dadonov after the season anyway why not just do it now?

The most logical guys to move are Smith or Dadonov for that reason.

Although I still would move Pacioretty. Hell I'd swing big and move Dadonov too and go out and add Pavelski and Copp as rentals. We still need more forwards that will go to the net and score goals. You move Patches + Dadonov and then you have room to re-sign Smith, Roy and Hague.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubu

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Dadonov plays well enough to be a straight trade to someone, even if for a low prospect or a 5th.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Dadonov plays well enough to be a straight trade to someone, even if for a low prospect or a 5th.

I don't think he's movable without a sweetener with the extra year on his deal. The teams with the cap for that have no need for him and his NTC has to also be taken into account.

A 5th is about what I'd expect if they're forced to move him in the offseason.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I don't think he's movable without a sweetener with the extra year on his deal. The teams with the cap for that have no need for him and his NTC has to also be taken into account.

A 5th is about what I'd expect if they're forced to move him in the offseason.

I can't imagine who would take him without significant retention and a nice asset. Get's paid like Marchessault and Smith, produces like Roy.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Problem is it isn't a small step to McNabb if Martinez is gone. McNabb isn't the one being scratched if all the D are healthy, it's Coughlin or Hutton which is a much bigger step.

Petro-Hague
Theo-Whitecloud
McNabb-Hutton
Coughlan

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I didn't see this mentioned in this thread yet, but Aho scored a goal in the overtime, and it ended the game!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad