GA's first ever mockery of a sham of a mock draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitaraholic*

1. Washington - Ovechkin - Obvious choice.

2. Pittsburgh - Malkin - the other obvious choice

3. Chicago - Andrew Ladd - Chicago wants a forward, preferably a left winger with size and an edge to his game. Having depth on the blueline among their prospects they pass on Cam Barker. While Tukonen was the other possibility, the Hawks need depth on the left side. However if the Hawks really feel that Radulov isn't going to pan out as expected I believe they'd take Tukonen instead.

4. Columbus - Cam Barker - Lacking a true stud defensive prospect, Columbus changes that by selecting the best defensive prospect in the draft. A no-brainer for GM DM.

5. Phx - Alvaro Montoya - For reasons known only to Mike Barnett and some Gretzky character, Phx surprises some and picks Montoya in the 5 slot. While some thought they would address their need for depth at the left wing slot, they choose not to, being enamored of Montoya's athleticism and big game pedigree.

6. NY Rangers - Lauri Tukonen - The Rangers had a choice between Olesz and Tukonen and were frightened by Olesz' concussion issue. Needing prospects at every position the Rangers were able to pick the BPA who they feel is Tukonen, although they were also contemplating Schremp.

7. The Florida Panthers have asked for time to evaluate a trade proposal for the 7th overall pick... (Blues offering up either Tkachuk or Weight depending on several circumstances....) after being unable to agree to terms on a restructured contract with the player in question Florida selects Radislav Olesz with the 7th pick overall.

8. Carolina Hurricanes - the host team is proud to select, with the 8th overall pick in the 2004 Entry Draft, from the London Knights of the OHL, Robbie Schremp. After landing a great young player last year in Eric Staal, the Canes hope they have the same succes with this years pick, the gifted but perhaps difficult Robbie Schremp. If he realizes his potential he could be among the top 2 or 3 players to come out of this draft class.

9. The Mighty Ducks have asked for time to consider a trade offer for the 9th overall pick. Passing on the offer and seeing that most of the high end offensive forwards have been taken, the Ducks select A.J. Thelen, from Michigan State.

10. The Atlanta Thrashers have traded the number 10 overall pick in the 2004 Entry Draft to the St.Louis Blues for Pavol Demitra and future considerations. With the 10th overall pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft the St.Louis Blues select goaltender Marek Schwarz from Sparta Praha.

11. L.A. Kings - The exceedingly furious L.A. Kings, desperate to draft either Montoya or Schwarz but seeing both of them taken before LA could get a chance to draft them, have asked for time and some aspirin. Having contemplated a series of trade scenarios the Kings make a somewhat surprising pick of Cory Schneider, from Philips-Andover H.S. The Kings contemplated choosing Dubnyk, they feel Schneider has a higher upside and will be the surprise steal of the 2004 first round.

12. Minnesota Wild - Seeking to add some offensive depth to their forward prospects the Wild select, from Lewiston in the QMJHL, Alexandre Picard. While Radulov is seen by some as having a potentially greater upside Minnesota, noted for a gritty, two way team style that demands adherence to the system, picks the more coachable Picard, who doesn't lack for offensive talent, either.

13. Buffalo Sabres - Seeking a defensive prospect with the highest upside the Buffalo Sabres, contemplating their options between Valabik, Meszaros, Smid and Green choose Valabik with the 13th overall pick, thereby selecting perhaps the least NHL ready of all the prospects but Buffalo believes that if he develops fully he will be the most dominant in the long run.

14 Edmonton Oilers - The Oilers select Drew Stafford with the 14th overall pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

15. Nashville has asked for time to consider a trade offer. Passing on the trade offer Nashville looks for the BPA, as they have reasonably solid depth spread out among all positions in the system. After deciding that the need for a center with size is their most pressing, Nashville selects, from the Prince Albert (in a can) Raiders of the (WHL), Kyle Chipchura.

16. New York Islanders - The Islanders ask for time as they entertain trade offers from various teams. Milbury passes on the various offers and selects Mike Green from the Saskatoon Blades with the 15th overall pick.

17. St.Louis Blues - with their second pick in this years first round the St.Louis Blues select Lauri Korpikoski, from TPS Turku jr.

18. Montreal Canadiens - While originally planning on drafting for size at the center position and while they feel they have solid prospects at defense currently in the system Montreal feels they cannot pass on the BPA so with the 18th overall pick Montreal selects dman Ladislav Smid from HB Liberec, Czech Republic.

19. Calgary Flames - Dave Bolland, London Knights. Sutter seeks a gritty, two way forward.

20. Dallas Stars - the Stars seek the best offensive forward on the board with their pick at 20th overall. Therefore they select, from the Brampton Battalion, Wojtek Wolski. The Stars considered Radulov and Lisin but opted for Wolski due to his size and the fact that he is already playing in North America.

21. Colorado Avalanche - The Avalanche must replenish their group of forwards with the (potential) loss of Forsberg, Kariya and with Selanne most definately gone. So with the 21st overall pick they choose Jakub Sindel from Sparta Praha, Czech Republic. Fearing Radulov may be a flop and that Sindel posseses a more well rounded and developed game, Lacroix chooses the Czech prospect and hopes he has another Milan Hejduk on his hands.

22. New Jersey Devils - Surprising some folks once again and seeking size in and offensive upside in a forward, the Devils select Blake Wheeler from Breck HS.

23. Ottaw Senators - Blessed with excellent depth and youth all around the Sens seek the BPA at the 23rd slot and select Alexandre Radulov who's stock has surprising fallen here on draft day.

24. New York Rangers - With their second pick here in the first round of the 2004 Entry Draft, Glen Sather and the New York Rangers select Enver Lisin

25. Edmonton Oilers - Another team with two first round picks, Edmonton selects Devan Dubnyk from Kamloops, WHL.

26. Vancouver Canucks - Seeking the best defensive prospect on the board when their pick is up the Canucks select Jeff Schultz from the Calgary Hitmen.

27. Washington Capitals- Continuing with this years trend of multiple picks in the first round are the Caps who select Johan Fransson of Lulea HF.

28. San Jose Sharks - SJ selects Roman Voloshenko

29. Washington Capitals - Washington selects Travis Zajac, somewhat of a surprise pick at 29th overall. Washington feels Zajac has a great combination of size and offensive upside and if he develops will be worthy of being a first round pick and will compliment franchise forwards Ovechkin nicely as well.

30. Tampa Bay - With the last pick in the first round of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, the Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning are proud to select David Shantz, G, from Mississauga, OHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

thestonedkoala

Los Angeles will go forward if the goalie isn't there...

kovalchuk17atl

Apr 22, 2004
In that scenario I think LA will trade down to around 25-30. I also don't see Atlanta taking Schwarz if Radulov is still on the board.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
I can't see Atlanta taking Demitra with all the RFA money they are going to have to pay this year.

A very entertaining mock.

guitaraholic*

thanks for your replies so far.

- Atlanta isn't taking Schwarz, the Blues are, having acquired the pick in a trade for Demitra and 'future considerations' which in this case are Matt Walker or a 3rd in 2005, depending on what Demitra signs for. Atlanta feels trading the first is worth it in this instance as they get a point per game offensive forward who can play wing or center and is still young at 29. Walker's a solid depth dman or the 3rd in a deep draft year are not meaningless additions.

- Kings couldn't work out a deal to assure themselves of one of the goalies they were targeting once Schwarz and Montoya were taken. Schneider's stock kept rising on the draft floor as Radulov's was falling... It turned into the Year of Drafting Goalies In the First Round, which is a surprise. TB rounded it out by drafting Shantz @ 30th overall. The Kings believe Schneider has great upside and is worthy of being a first round pick and that he was definately not going to be around in the 2nd round. TB, seeking a goalie prospect for when Khabibulin retires, eyedballed Schneider as well and LA knew it.

- I was going for max entertainment value. I know the Demitra trade is dubious at best... but I do think the picks are reasonable based on team needs as I understand them. I do believe Demitra will be offered around for a first round pick on draft day, in one form or another.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
SJ takes Voloshenko, skating deficiencies and questionable work ethic, over Alexandrov, beautiful skater with amazing work ethic...I just don't see it. Both players are super offensive wingers but only one fits with the Sharks system.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
A very interesting mock, GA.

If the Blues could come out of the first round next Saturday with Schwarz and Korpikoski, I'd be one very happy Blues fan.

I agree that the Demitra swap with Atlanta is a bit of a stretch, but it's not too far out of the realm of possibility.

Nice work.

:bow: :blues

infinitesadd

May 15, 2004
Pittsburgh
Actually despite the slim chance of it happening, I like that move for the Thrashers. They are a playoff-caliber team (or very close to it) without Demitra, but adding him gives them a bit more punch up front. I like that move especially in this pretty thin draft. Why not trade the pick for a consistent scorer?

It just improves on an already pretty solid core of players.

Good mock.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
You forgot Andrej Meszaros, who is most definatley a 1st round pick. I call him for the Rangers at #24!

jstreim

Feb 17, 2004
I'm still hung up on 5 goalies being taken in the first round. Anyone else find that slightly odd?

guitaraholic*

jstreim said:
I'm still hung up on 5 goalies being taken in the first round. Anyone else find that slightly odd?

The way I saw it working out was that the Blues were dangling Demitra and had targeted the players they'd take depending on which pick they were able to get with him and who was available. They targeted a forward, Tukonen and a goalie, Schwarz, as the two guys they were willing to part with Demitra for. As Tukonen was chosen and Atlanta was the only team to have interest in Demitra for a first, the Blues selected Schwarz.

- Cory Schneider's stock rose on draft day. Everyone had him going early in the 2nd round and when the Blues moved to get Schwarz @ 10 and Phx jumped the gun on Montoya @ 5 L.A. wanted to get it's number 3 prospect and that was Schneider, who a lot of scouts feel has first round-worthy talent anyway. L.A couldn't work out a trade scenario where they traded down, got some asset and still got their target player who at that point was Schneider.

- TB looks for a goalie prospect and happens to like Shantz, same with Edmonton and Dubnyk. Teams see some goaltending depth in this draft and this years group of forwards have some question marks behind them, i.e. Radulov, Lisin, etc. Couple strong goaltending depth with a weak group of forwards beyond the top 6 or so and you get goalies going in the first round. Then again, it is a mock draft... I have another version where a strange space virus gets lose and Glen Sather gets infected and turns into a zombie and goes on a human flesh eating and free agent signing rampage.

- I agree with the poster regard Meszaros, he'd be a better option for the Rangers at 24 than Lisin, who should fall to the 2nd round more logically under that scenario anyway.

- yes, I have way too much time on my hands today.

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
Actually, I could see 4-5 goalies going in the first round.

All it takes is one team to go early for a goalie, and all of a sudden it looks as though you may have to get your goalie now, otherwise he won'tbe there. This kind of thing has happened before in the NFL draft.

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
CuSa_1 said:
Actually, I could see 4-5 goalies going in the first round.

All it takes is one team to go early for a goalie, and all of a sudden it looks as though you may have to get your goalie now, otherwise he won'tbe there. This kind of thing has happened before in the NFL draft.

Oh and BTW guitar, I enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->