Gary Bettman on Mike and the Mad Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
free0717 said:
I heard Gary Bettman on Mike and the Mad Dog last nite. It sure seems the owners are serious about not playing until they get the Cap. If I am Goodenow, I cave and look to get the best deal possible.

By "caving" you're not going to get the best deal possible.

Also in the past the owners have always "caved" first ... why should the players believe that this time will be any different.

It's still very early, everyone is talking tough at the moment, that won't necessarily be the case come December/January.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
John Flyers Fan said:
By "caving" you're not going to get the best deal possible.

Also in the past the owners have always "caved" first ... why should the players believe that this time will be any different.

It's still very early, everyone is talking tough at the moment, that won't necessarily be the case come December/January.

I dont believe it, I think this time the owners are serious. I think they would disband the NHL before going on with the CBA the way it is. Personally, I think the Players structure would work if the tax threshold was low enough and the tax was severe enough but believe me, this is more than tough talk. The Owners wont cave until they get the CBA they want.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I've been optimistic the whole time, but things better start happening within the next week, October 1st is sort of unofficially the last day that a deal can happen and not interfere with the start of the regular season...training camp and preseason can still be reduced...(both sides know this)

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
free0717 said:
I dont believe it, I think this time the owners are serious. I think they would disband the NHL before going on with the CBA the way it is. Personally, I think the Players structure would work if the tax threshold was low enough and the tax was severe enough but believe me, this is more than tough talk. The Owners wont cave until they get the CBA they want.

so why wont the owners negotiate that with the players instead of killing hockey ?

dr

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
DementedReality said:
so why wont the owners negotiate that with the players instead of killing hockey ?

dr

Because the players feel that they will not do any dealing unless there is no cap.

The NHL should just accept the players deal, then by themselves create a large book called "running an NHL francise properly." In this book the NHL fines a team for exceeding its standards set in wages paid, revenues... basically create a cap without officially having one.

Then if the players whine, all the NHL has to say is: "We are being fiscally responsible like you told us."

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Biggest Canuck Fan said:
Because the players feel that they will not do any dealing unless there is no cap.

The NHL should just accept the players deal, then by themselves create a large book called "running an NHL francise properly." In this book the NHL fines a team for exceeding its standards set in wages paid, revenues... basically create a cap without officially having one.

Then if the players whine, all the NHL has to say is: "We are being fiscally responsible like you told us."

as long as its not collusion.

dr

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Biggest Canuck Fan said:

Thats the thing, why should the players have to save the owners from themselves? There is no rule that says the owners have to pay 75% of thier revenues to the players. There is no rule that says the owners have to go into the red when paying these players. IMO there is no excuse for losing the amount of money the NHL claims. We've all seen there was a problem for the last 4 or 5 years, yet not one owner has donr a damn thing about it. The Kings President came out and said they've lost 200 million dollars in 10 years. How comes the owner has done nothing about it? The Canes owner said he lost between 12-16 million dollars a year for the last ten year but hasn't done anything about it.

(edit, both links to the kings and canes claims are already posted on this board in two different threads)

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Fans don't want to hear about fiscal responsibility, they want results.

How often do you hear a fan bragging about his teams fiscal responsibility?

Optimist*

The union says that all the owners have to do is be fiscally responsable, but when they want an agreement that shows their fiscally responsable, you don't here the union being to happy about it. What a charade.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
[Q*OTE=eti*ket]The *nion says that all the owners have to do is be fis*ally responsable, b*t when they want an agreement that shows their fis*ally responsable, yo* don't here the *nion being to happy abo*t it. What a *harade.[/Q*OTE]

Im not gonna say who is right or wrong, All that I am saying is the players better get ba*k to the table ASAP be*a*se all they are going to lose is pay. The owners are serio*s and not going to *ave. Most fran*hises lose less money d*ring the lo*ko*t than playing. I j*st think if the players dont get ba*k to the table, they are j*st going to lose salary. The owners are not ba*king off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad