Gary Bettman-No team by team caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
GARY BETTMAN told an NHL general manager yesterday that no team-by-team salary cap, based on individual club revenues, will be part of league's eventual collective bargaining agreement with its players.

The NHL commissioner was put on the spot after several news agencies reported that a team-by-team cap had been agreed upon as the lockout negotiations continue and grow more optimistic by the day.

"I asked him quite clearly 'Is this, in fact, true?" one general manager said of newspaper reports across Canada.

"He said: 'No.'

"I asked 'Is there any kind of team-by-team cap?' Again, he said 'No.' "

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2005/06/10/pf-1080333.html

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Good. We can finally blow up this false optimism sweeping around the hockey world. Either Bettman is lying to his own people, or the stories just aren't true.

Spungo*

Tekneek said:
Good. We can finally blow up this false optimism sweeping around the hockey world. Either Bettman is lying to his own people, or the stories just aren't true.

Why is there false optimism? He just said there is no team by team cap (and thank God for that). The Globe and Mail just screwed up their story. I knew that right from the start. There would never be a team by team cap where the Leafs have a higher salary cap than the Capitals.

Spungo*

RangerBoy said:
GARY BETTMAN told an NHL general manager yesterday that no team-by-team salary cap, based on individual club revenues, will be part of league's eventual collective bargaining agreement with its players.

The NHL commissioner was put on the spot after several news agencies reported that a team-by-team cap had been agreed upon as the lockout negotiations continue and grow more optimistic by the day.

"I asked him quite clearly 'Is this, in fact, true?" one general manager said of newspaper reports across Canada.

YES!!! :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
that ''team by team'' idea was nonsense anyways .

38 mil , lets go , announce the deal already - we want a freakin draft

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
You know what the "false optimism" is. When a story like this hits the press, everyone thinks a new CBA is about to come around the corner...and within a few days the story is debunked.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
RangerBoy said:

Figures Bettman doesn't have the balls to get this part of a deal done. Just proof he wants to keep the entire over expanded league whole. :banghead:

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Hasbro said:
Isn't a team by team cap what we used to have? It was just whatever you could afford and then some.

The team-by-team cap sounded like it was just trying to force teams to live within their means.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
and if the details of that report are false, i think we can assume the whole report was false, stop the optimism and just assume 'no progress'

Spungo*

NYR469 said:
and if the details of that report are false, i think we can assume the whole report was false, stop the optimism and just assume 'no progress'

The optimism has nothing to do with the Globe and Mail report. Everyone with connections knows it's getting done by early July at the latest. They have been meeting for 10+ hour days all week and will do so today as well. The Globe and mail contradicted themselves in that story anyway, they said there would be a team by team salary cap and then say in the same article that there would be a cap of 24-38 million. Just poor writing.

chiavsfan

Brewleaguer said:
Figures Bettman doesn't have the balls to get this part of a deal done. Just proof he wants to keep the entire over expanded league whole. :banghead:

Huh? This argument makes no sense. Both the PA and Bettman said this CBA is for the health of the entire league. First of all, Bettman dosen't want some teams to fold because he expanded to most of those cities.

Second the PA will NEVER let teams fold, because that will cost them jobs, and they have said as much.

So before you go throw out one sided blame...get the facts

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
NHL says talks have been concluded for the week. Where did you read that meetings were happening again today?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
NYR469 said:

The report was not false.Some of the details were not accurate.They have agreed to a system but not an individual team system cap

Though it mostly reinforced what had been widely reported by several other outlets, including the New York Post, the Globe & Mail, based on sources, outlined a system that involved salary ranges based on revenue, maxing out at $34 million to $36 million per team with a minimum of $22 million to $24 million. The newspaper reported a dollar-for-dollar luxury tax at the mid-range, perhaps $29 million.

"It isn't coming from here," said a person close to the NHL's negotiating team. "And it wouldn't make sense for it to be coming from the PA. We're working hard; long hours and going through everything."

The person reiterated the point that while the process could be resolved within the month, it could go into July only because of diligence by both sides. Neither is in a rush to make a premature announcement and produce the same false hope that came in February, when a last-ditch attempt to save the 2004-05 season failed

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/ny-sphahn0610,0,2388025.story?coll=ny-hockey-headlines

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Spungo said:
The optimism has nothing to do with the Globe and Mail report. Everyone with connections knows it's getting done by early July at the latest. They have been meeting for 10+ hour days all week and will do so today as well. The Globe and mail contradicted themselves in that story anyway, they said there would be a team by team salary cap and then say in the same article that there would be a cap of 24-38 million. Just poor writing.

My fellow Ranger fan is SO PRO-NHLPA that he allows his personal feelings to get in the way on compromise

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
A sign of the times

ALEXANDER MOGILNY has let it be known that he would accept more than a $3-million US pay cut to play next season for the Maple Leafs.

While Mogilny remains a locked out player -- and the Leafs are not allowed to communicate with him until a collective bargaining agreement is done -- his willingness to take a giant financial step backwards is quite telling in these troubled times for National Hockey League players.

Mogilny's situation, in some ways, speaks volumes about the unsettled yet optimistic state of negotiations between NHL owners and players. He may be a free agent in the brave new world but just in case, he's looking out for himself.

Take the Leafs situation, for example. Mogilny, a $5-million free agent (assuming his contract expires on July 1), now has set a price that he will accept assuming the Leafs are interested. At the same time, Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk, both of whom made significantly less money than Mogilny last season, want to remain with the Leafs.

But suddenly, with Mogilny setting his own level, he is unknowingly or knowingly lessening the bargaining position of Roberts and Nieuwendyk.

"You might see a guy like Joe Nieuwendyk retiring under this new system," a hockey source said yesterday. "Not just him but a lot of older free agents. If the value of free agents will be that low and say someone offers him $600,000 to play when he has been making $2 million of $3 million a year, he might just say it's time to quit."

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2005/06/10/1080334-sun.html

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
I never felt that the writer had all the details of the original article correct - but - keep in mind that this alleged "NHL GM" is not named in this article, so until it's backed up by a credible source, I'm not sure how much faith we can put in this report.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tekneek said:

I'm glad someone sees it my way.

I don't run around here like an idiot telling people to quell their optimism for nothing.

I win.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Brewleaguer said:

I probably shouldn't ask this but I want to entertain myself so I'll ask it anyway:

What the hell has Bettman alledgly not having balls to do something to do with this issue??

He doesn't have the balls to contract smaller teams? He doesn't have the balls to give big teams bigger salary caps? What?

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I doubt any meaningful agreements have been made in these meetings. Maybe some starting points are being agreed upon, but nothing meaningful that is clearing the way for the easy stuff.

chiavsfan

Tekneek said:
I doubt any meaningful agreements have been made in these meetings. Maybe some starting points are being agreed upon, but nothing meaningful that is clearing the way for the easy stuff.

This dosen't make sense either, you don't meet 40-50 hours a week to get nothing done. It's just not logical. While I agree it's going to take a little bit more time for everything to be finalized...I think things have to be in the right track

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Tekneek said:
The team-by-team cap sounded like it was just trying to force teams to live within their means.
I'm a fan of one of the "haves" but a team by team would just create the same disparity in my opinion. If Calgary only can spend 30 and New York 50 who's going to be able to get more Free Agents.

SENSible1*

IMO the "team by team" is more on the revenue calculation side of the cap.

The PA was concerned with the inability of one formula to catch all the revenue streams in a league with widely ranging ownership structures and financial arrangements, so the NHL agreed to go through the books and modify the formula "team by team".

I'm guessing this is where the confusion is coming from.

If I'm right, the 54% linkage will still be based on league wide revenues, but calculated "team by team".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->