Celebrity Death: Garry Marshall age 81 Created Happy Days, Mork and Mindy Director Pretty Woman

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
For some reason I thought he was Penny's husband, I guess he's her brother. Needless to say he churned out some damn solid television back in the day. RIP.

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
He was a pretty formidable comic actor too. The scene in the Desert Inn office between Marshall and Albert Brooks in Lost in America is just understated perfection. The Brooks/Monica Johnson writing is great but it's Marshall's timing that puts it over.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
RIP - I watched a lot of a bunch of his shows growing up as an '80s child. I still DVR Happy Days daily and watch routinely throughout the week. One of my favorite shows of all-time.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg

Marshall's films usually were much more successful with the audience than with the critics. He just knew how to entertain - a very difficult profession.

Gruß,
BSHH

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Surprised there's so few responses on this thread, but I guess HFBoards does trend toward a younger demo...

Grew up watching reruns of The Odd Couple, Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, The Lucy Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and Laverne and Shirley. Also saw The Flamingo Kid, Overboard (God knows how many times), Nothing in Common (though don't recall much about it), and Pretty Woman. He also had bit rolls and guest appearances in Goldfinger, Pinky & The Brain, Tomcats, and Orange County which I've all seen, and had a recurring role on Murphy Brown. He was everywhere in my TV and movie viewing history, it seems.

Thanks for the entertainment - R.I.P.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
A true television icon.

A lot of people have Garry Marshall to thank for their careers.

RIP.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
A true television icon.

A lot of people have Garry Marshall to thank for their careers.

RIP.

Both Robin Williams and Ron Howard. It was on Happy days that Marshell told Howard to follow his dreams as a director. He sent Howard to Roger Corman for a boot camp style learning of how to direct. A lot of directors and actors worked with Corman in the 60's and early 70's and corman finances Howard's early directories efforts

Like some one else pointed out many posters have now idea of his influence on TV. I think modern times Chuck Lorre is a good comparison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->