Value of: Garrett Sparks

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Could be on the move, but cleared waivers last year before putting up great numbers in the AHL. RFA after next year, so you still have some control left with him.

Is a 4th rounder fair?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Why would you give him away for so little? Trade McBackup instead. He was dominant in the AHL, there might be something here.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Wtf, why do you want the Leafs to trade Sparks for? If he's part of a big package then sure, but for a late pick? Hell no.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Wtf, why do you want the Leafs to trade Sparks for? If he's part of a big package then sure, but for a late pick? Hell no.

I doubt either passes since they both had better seasons than 2016-17 when they were on waivers

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Why would you give him away for so little? Trade McBackup instead. He was dominant in the AHL, there might be something here.

Well, one of him or Pickard has to pass through waivers so ideally the Leafs would get something, though likely minimal, for one of them before they are potentially gone for nothing. I see the Leafs including one in a draft day deal as an extra piece to a team with either no backup in place or wanting to move on from a backup. Obviously not as a core piece of a deal, but I imagine there a lots of teams who see either as a potential upgrade at the backup position for near league minimum salary.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
yes, but much better stats, and he has team control vs Pickard who doesn't anymore. Pickard has no trade value while Sparks might have some. a 5th is probably realistic

Sorry meant if a team acquires him, does he need to go on waivers before sending him to ahl?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah... he has done everything you could ask and more in the AHL now. They've had him fully evaluated by their goalie staff for his NHL potential. It's just down to the formality of the training camp battle, but otherwise... McElhinney is 35 and last year of his contract so even if he has done a fine job last 2 years, it's still time for Sparks to get his chance. As long as he doesn't mess up in summer prep and camp, of course.

Seems like they've already re-upped Pickard and Kaskisuo too so they have their bases covered nicely.

Maybe you don't get as much for McElhinney, but for the difference between a 4th and 7th, or 4th and nothing even - I'd stick with Sparks and hope he progresses further as an NHLer.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Well, one of him or Pickard has to pass through waivers so ideally the Leafs would get something, though likely minimal, for one of them before they are potentially gone for nothing. I see the Leafs including one in a draft day deal as an extra piece to a team with either no backup in place or wanting to move on from a backup. Obviously not as a core piece of a deal, but I imagine there a lots of teams who see either as a potential upgrade at the backup position for near league minimum salary.

I think Sparks definitely has more value than Pickard. He's younger and had better numbers on the same team. I'd like to see him get a shot at the Leafs backup job. His AHL numbers show he's earned it.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Sorry meant if a team acquires him, does he need to go on waivers before sending him to ahl?

Yes, if you aquire him through waivers, you cant just claim him and send him down instantly. He'd have to go through waivers again. Anways I'd much rather have Sparks then Pickard imo.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Goalie prospects are seldom traded for good reasons. Goalies, except for bona fide starters, have little value. Prospect goalies even less so. So what reason do teams have for trading them, unless they have a logjam of goalies who need playing time?

Same thing applies here. What reason could the Leafs have for trading a goalie who has put up very good numbers in the AHL and just won a championship there if all they're getting back is a late pick?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Goalie prospects are seldom traded for good reasons. Goalies, except for bona fide starters, have little value. Prospect goalies even less so. So what reason do teams have for trading them, unless they have a logjam of goalies who need playing time?

Same thing applies here. What reason could the Leafs have for trading a goalie who has put up very good numbers in the AHL and just won a championship there if all they're getting back is a late pick?

If they can't trade McElhinney/he beats sparks out in camp they're likely to lose him for nothing

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If they can't trade McElhinney/he beats sparks out in camp they're likely to lose him for nothing
Sure, it's possible. But if Sparks can't beat out McElhinney for the backup position, and Toronto decides that it's worth risking losing him on waivers for another year of McElhinney, how many teams do you think will line up to have Sparks as their backup goalie? Cause if they don't, Toronto will just reclaim him on waivers.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
4th round pick/5th round pick.

The Leafs would be better off just keeping him in their system.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Never mind the "if they can't trade McElhinney" part of it... if they can't trade McElhinney, they put McElhinney on waivers. Tough, but that's the business. Sooner or later somebody wants a veteran backup though. Somebody even took Niemi with his miserable performances, so McElhinney with his solid recent track record will almost assuredly find a spot. Whether the Leafs get a late pick for McElhinney or whether they get nothing for him is not really the point. They're were going to get nothing for him when his contract expires after the coming season anyway.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he has almost no value until he proves himself in the NHL. Leafs are better off keeping him and hoping he can be their future #1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->