Value of: Garrett Sparks/Calvin Pickard to Calgary

member 147413

According to a source Calgary is looking for a goaltender. I don’t think that necessarily means them starting full-time this year, but investing in a low-er cost option for 30 games or so.

Sparks is coming off a very solid season in the AHL where he won the Calder Cup and was named goaltender of the year. While Pickard saw a lot of success on the team as well.

I think their success was on the back of a talented and deep roster, so it’s difficult to really gauge their value to an NHL club. Sparks is a fairly unorthodox goaltender in style and play. By all reports, he’s a great locker room presence and would do well in a back-up position. I believe if he gets less jumpy in his movements he could become a middle of the pack starter. I don’t know much about Pickard to really evaluate his play or potential.

I think Toronto would be looking for max value on picks/prospects.

What would Calgary be likely to move in return for Sparks or Pickard?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd rather play Gillies or Rittich, or sign Mason to a one year deal.

Sparks and/or Pickard will go through waivers. If calgary did want a goalie, they can get one then.

Reactions: iSophagus

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Meh.
Neither guy is a big enough gap ahead of what we have in the pipeline. If we get a goalie, we need one we can count on for a 1B type role.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
According to a source Calgary is looking for a goaltender. I don’t think that necessarily means them starting full-time this year, but investing in a low-er cost option for 30 games or so.

Sparks is coming off a very solid season in the AHL where he won the Calder Cup and was named goaltender of the year. While Pickard saw a lot of success on the team as well.

I think their success was on the back of a talented and deep roster, so it’s difficult to really gauge their value to an NHL club. Sparks is a fairly unorthodox goaltender in style and play. By all reports, he’s a great locker room presence and would do well in a back-up position. I believe if he gets less jumpy in his movements he could become a middle of the pack starter. I don’t know much about Pickard to really evaluate his play or potential.

If they want one of those two they will wait for the Leafs to waive one.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Calgary wanted to skip the queue in case they're worried about another team claiming a goalie before then, I imagine a 3rd (Sparks) or 5th (Pickard) would be fine for value.

Reactions: shortfuze

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Nothing. They don't need either of those goalies.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Contrary to a lot of comments, I don't think the Leafs waive one of Pickard/Sparks. I think they'll deal McBackup to a team for something insignificant (5th-7th rounder/future considerations) and give the backup spot to Sparks. I'm positive there is a team out there that considers McBackup an upgrade on their current backup. He is cheap, reliable veteran who put up stellar numbers last year.

EDIT: I'm not well versed in waivers or bird law, but if we indeed have to waive one of them it'll be Pickard. If he gets picked up, oh well, I don't imagine he is worth more than future considerations anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishManSam

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Personally, I really hope that they keep Sparks. They have spent years developing him and he finally seems ready to take the next step. When you consider that your current backup is 35, I don't see the logic in waiving and likely losing a 25 year old goalie, who has consistently developed in your system. I don't know if Sparks can be a starting NHL goaltender, but he might be.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Contrary to a lot of comments, I don't think the Leafs waive one of Pickard/Sparks. I think they'll deal McBackup to a team for something insignificant (5th-7th rounder/future considerations) and give the backup spot to Sparks. I'm positive there is a team out there that considers McBackup an upgrade on their current backup. He is cheap, reliable veteran who put up stellar numbers last year.

They still have to waive Pickard under this scenario....

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

Nah, I wouldn't pay much for either of them, goalies don't have that value. I'd rather see the Flames continuing to develop Gilles and Parsons

member 147413

Nah, I wouldn't pay much for either of them, goalies don't have that value. I'd rather see the Flames continuing to develop Gilles and Parsons
Have what value? I don’t think it’s absurd for the Leafs to ask for a 5th/6th for Pickard or a 3rd for Sparks.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Personally, I really hope that they keep Sparks. They have spent years developing him and he finally seems ready to take the next step. When you consider that your current backup is 35, I don't see the logic in waiving and likely losing a 25 year old goalie, who has consistently developed in your system. I don't know if Sparks can be a starting NHL goaltender, but he might be.

Personally, I really hope that they keep McElhinney. They have spent years looking for a goaltending duo that works well together, and Andersen/McBackup is finally that. When you consider that the cup window is now open, I don't see the logic in using an unproven backup when the current guy has done the job perfectly. I don't know if Sparks can be a backup NHL goaltender, and he might not be.

edit: not intended to be a sarcastic dig, just a gag on my complete opposite viewpoint.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Personally, I really hope that they keep McElhinney. They have spent years looking for a goaltending duo that works well together, and Andersen/McBackup is finally that. When you consider that the cup window is now open, I don't see the logic in using an unproven backup when the current guy has done the job perfectly. I don't know if Sparks can be a backup NHL goaltender, and he might not be.

edit: not intended to be a sarcastic dig, just a gag on my complete opposite viewpoint.
That's fair, I'm not so confident in my assertion to keep Sparks over the others. You could very well be right.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If someone wants to jump the waiver queue and grab Pickard for like a 6th they can but Sparks will likely be the backup next year and Pickard will hit waivers so not a whole lot of incentive to do so

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

The thing is though, McBackup probably has a much higher probability of clearing waivers than either of Sparks or Pickard. I can't think of a competitive team off the top of my head that needs a backup, or too many teams in general, and can't really see a rebuilding one using a roster spot on him. I think Sparks can take the next step

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No advantage to the Flames to sign either goalie. Neither is an improvement on what the Flames currently have.
Better to start the season with Smith as the #1 playing 50-55 games and we'll see how the cookie crumbles with regards to the backup role with either David Rittich or Jon Gillies as backup. I suspect Rittich will get first kick at the can as he's not waivers exempt and Gillies is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad