Garret Sparks pt 2

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pickard is on waivers for those that thought he was so much better than Sparks.

It looks like the Leafs could claim him and put him on the Marlies if no one else claims him.

Reactions: stickty111

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
His positioning was ok but the flyers made that easy for him as they were not loving the puck well.
As for his rebound control? We just didn't give the flyers any second chances. We cleared every single rebound that night

Come on now Salt, his positioning and rebound control looked really solid in the last game, no pressure on him of course so once that happens again we will see if he reverts back into "bad" Sparks but that wasn't a game to attack his technique over

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Come on now Salt, his positioning and rebound control looked really solid in the last game, no pressure on him of course so once that happens again we will see if he reverts back into "bad" Sparks but that wasn't a game to attack his technique over
Not attacking my friend.
Watch the game again. His positioning was ok, but again the flyers were very one dimensional, and he only controlled pucks that rolled to him. Other than that he was a trampoline for pucks

Reactions: diceman934

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not attacking my friend.
Watch the game again. His positioning was ok, but again the flyers were very one dimensional, and he only controlled pucks that rolled to him. Other than that he was a trampoline for pucks

I thought he kept pucks in his body quite nicely, for Sparks anyway which is a slightly lower standard than your average NHL goalie

He played well, no fuss, less movement, calm demeanour, better positionally, I thought it was a nice solid improvement on his previous starts

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I thought he kept pucks in his body quite nicely, for Sparks anyway which is a slightly lower standard than your average NHL goalie

He played well, no fuss, less movement, calm demeanour, better positionally, I thought it was a nice solid improvement on his previous starts
Demeanour certainly improved. Rebound control was better, shots weren't dangerous though.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Demeanour certainly improved. Rebound control was better, shots weren't dangerous though.

That's the caveat I'd put on it as well, I tend to find that when the pressure really gets applied you revert back to what you know, unfortunately with Sparks that's rather interesting technique wise

Last game was promising though

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That's the caveat I'd put on it as well, I tend to find that when the pressure really gets applied you revert back to what you know, unfortunately with Sparks that's rather interesting technique wise

Last game was promising though
It was for sure. I just want to see some real pressure and how he reacts, then I'll start to truly believe he can do the job. Like I've said prior, he has shown that fortitude in the AHL, here, remains to be seen.

Reactions: saltming and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It was for sure. I just want to see some real pressure and how he reacts, then I'll start to truly believe he can do the job. Like I've said prior, he has shown that fortitude in the AHL, here, remains to be seen.

Yeah I can agree with that, I'm starting to feel a bit better about him though, he's had the opportunity to crumble but has shown some mental fortitude even when things have gone sideways

That's a decent trait in a goaltender

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I agree with you but I'm of the opinion that it was all due to the flyers lack of everything that night.
Heck! They fired Hextall because of that game!!! :sarcasm:
Again, yes he looked much more composed in that game due to what I've stated but his rebound control was still not so good

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I agree with you but I'm of the opinion that it was all due to the flyers lack of everything that night.
Heck! They fired Hextall because of that game!!! :sarcasm:
Again, yes he looked much more composed in that game due to what I've stated but his rebound control was still not so good

It's certainly true that the Flyers sucked but he did see a resonable amount of rubber even though it wasn't from the high danger areas

He was good, the defense was good and they worked well together, it was way less "scrambly" than the Anaheim game that's for damn sure

I'd describe it as a positive step, it could certainly go sideways especially if he's put under some extreme pressure but I think he's trending in the right direction

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It's certainly true that the Flyers sucked but he did see a resonable amount of rubber even though it wasn't from the high danger areas

He was good, the defense was good and they worked well together, it was way less "scrambly" than the Anaheim game that's for damn sure

I'd describe it as a positive step, it could certainly go sideways especially if he's put under some extreme pressure but I think he's trending in the right direction
For me a positive step would be seeing him less scrambly when more challenged. As you said he got a bit flustered in Anaheim when some heat was on, so when some heat hit and he stays composed, I will give him kudos for that

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
For me a positive step would be seeing him less scrambly when more challenged. As you said he got a bit flustered in Anaheim when some heat was on, so when some heat hit and he stays composed, I will give him kudos for that

You can only play what's put in front of you Salt, he didn't let in a bad goal and stayed composed

That's all you can ask of him, now we wait to see him when the blowtorch is on, hopefully he can build on this start

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You can only play what's put in front of you Salt, he didn't let in a bad goal and stayed composed

That's all you can ask of him, now we wait to see him when the blowtorch is on, hopefully he can build on this start
If confidence was his issue I would be with you there but imo its technical and I'm just saying looking ok against a neutered team doesn't instill any hope in me. Also in that game there were 3 or 4 shots that hit him and he didn't even react until he saw the puck being cleared. Not the best look there.
It's funny because I'm sure I'm coming across as a hater, but I'm not. I'm a leafs fan first and want our team to win and we are with him in net so I'm :wg: but if you ask me to critique his play I have to be honest

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
mcB.png

McBackup killing it in Carolina. Good choice Dubas.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If confidence was his issue I would be with you there but imo its technical and I'm just saying looking ok against a neutered team doesn't instill any hope in me. Also in that game there were 3 or 4 shots that hit him and he didn't even react until he saw the puck being cleared. Not the best look there.
It's funny because I'm sure I'm coming across as a hater, but I'm not. I'm a leafs fan first and want our team to win and we are with him in net so I'm :wg: but if you ask me to critique his play I have to be honest

Nah your critique is fair, I'd be lying if I said I like him from a technical pov but if I can see improvement from start to start I'm going to be happy generally because I do like his tools in general

Rebound control improvement, calmer demeanor, better understanding with the defensive unit, better puck tracking, give me more of that and we may have something

Reactions: saltming

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
you guys are in a pretty silly debate, didn't you two do this in the last Sparks thread lol

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Nah your critique is fair, I'd be lying if I said I like him from a technical pov but if I can see improvement from start to start I'm going to be happy generally because I do like his tools in general

Rebound control improvement, calmer demeanor, better understanding with the defensive unit, better puck tracking, give me more of that and we may have something
Fully agreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad