Recalled/Assigned: Garnet Hathaway Recalled

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I just don't think Calgary found a 26 year old 20-goal scorer who has never done it in any professional league before. Just my thoughts. The guy strikes me as a 4th line energy player that can chip in for 10-20 a season. But who knows, saying that I know that's his plateau would be ignorant.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I just don't think Calgary found a 26 year old 20-goal scorer who has never done it in any professional league before. Just my thoughts. The guy strikes me as a 4th line energy player that can chip in for 10-20 a season. But who knows, saying that I know that's his plateau would be ignorant.

He will score 20 goals... any day now.

But seriously yeah he is a 4th line energy player/extra forward. Nothing wrong with that as a ceiling, we need someone to play that role and I like Hathaway for it over a bunch of our other options.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He will score 20 goals... any day now.

But seriously yeah he is a 4th line energy player/extra forward. Nothing wrong with that as a ceiling, we need someone to play that role and I like Hathaway for it over a bunch of our other options.

Of the guys we have on the fourth line, him, Lazar and Hamilton are the only guys I like seeing down there; because they’re cheap and youngish; in the case of Lazar maybe there’s some room to grow too?

I’d like to see Stockton’s top line get a chance there. I’d like to see what Hrivik (spelling) could do too.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I'm not suggesting he will ever be a top 6 forward, but I think there is still third line potential.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He seems to me to be a guy who can't use his body and his hands at the same time. It's the key feature that has elevated Ferland to the top line.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Dont write him off yet...he still has 0.01% chance of becoming more than a 4th line plug.

Hopefully not the Flames because if he is, they are screwed

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm not suggesting he will ever be a top 6 forward, but I think there is still third line potential.

It is worth keeping in mind that he wasn't this mold of player before he turned pro. He has your regular everyday middle-6 forward with some grit to his game.

He changed his game to give himself a chance as a pro. I wouldn't completely write off him having a bit of offensive upside, but he is already 26.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
At best, I think he's a 10g/10a type guy. I hope he can get back to that form he had last year when he was a f***ing wrecking ball, hitting every single thing in sight.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I hope he can consistently keep this up. Pleasant surprise to be sure. Rather have him out there than Lazar.

I don't think there is much difference in either. Hathaway a little bigger, Lazar provides more skill but really both need to bring energy to each game to be effective.

Personally I would prefer both in the line-up over guys like Brouwer, Stajan, Hamilton or Glass.

I think a X-Lazar-Hathaway line is the type of young, good skating, energy line that we need for the 4th line.

Of the candidates I wouldn't mind seeing a Hrivik or if not him then I guess Hamilton in that role but I know we won't see Brouwer out of the line-up so we are likely stuck with him dragging that line down.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I don't think there is much difference in either. Hathaway a little bigger, Lazar provides more skill but really both need to bring energy to each game to be effective.

Personally I would prefer both in the line-up over guys like Brouwer, Stajan, Hamilton or Glass.

I think a X-Lazar-Hathaway line is the type of young, good skating, energy line that we need for the 4th line.

Of the candidates I wouldn't mind seeing a Hrivik or if not him then I guess Hamilton in that role but I know we won't see Brouwer out of the line-up so we are likely stuck with him dragging that line down.

Hathaway has more skill than Lazar. Hathaway does almost everything Lazar does better than Lazar, save for play defense and follow systems - which I would hope Lazar is better at considering he's in his fourth year in the NHL.

Brouwer isn't good but he's a much more capable player than Lazar, especially at RW. I agree though that in a perfect world neither would play for us. Stajan isn't even in the conversation with how his play has fallen off a cliff.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hathaway has more skill than Lazar. Hathaway does almost everything Lazar does better than Lazar, save for play defense and follow systems - which I would hope Lazar is better at considering he's in his fourth year in the NHL.

Brouwer isn't good but he's a much more capable player than Lazar, especially at RW. I agree though that in a perfect world neither would play for us. Stajan isn't even in the conversation with how his play has fallen off a cliff.

I'm going to say off hand you are wrong. There is a reason one guy is 22 with over 200 games played and the other is 26 with 47. If it was clear cut as you suggest, there wouldn't be that kind of discrepancy.

It's also interesting how you point out it's Lazar's 4th year in the NHL, but fail to mention that Lazar is also 4 years younger, and young enough to still develop. He's younger than Jankowski even, and only a year older than Bennett who everyone is still (rightfully) saying still has time.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I'm going to say off hand you are wrong. There is a reason one guy is 22 with over 200 games played and the other is 26 with 47. If it was clear cut as you suggest, there wouldn't be that kind of discrepancy.

It's also interesting how you point out it's Lazar's 4th year in the NHL, but fail to mention that Lazar is also 4 years younger, and young enough to still develop. He's younger than Jankowski even, and only a year older than Bennett who everyone is still (rightfully) saying still has time.

Development curves are different for every player. Often times high picks (like Lazar) are either ready earliest or are expected to be ready the earliest. Late picks take more time (see Ferland, Mangiapane, Fox, etc). Undrafted players often take even more time - sometimes not even because they need time to develop but because management wants to know whether they're the real deal. This is not even mentioning the fact that most people - including/especially Sens fans - believe Lazar was rushed into the NHL. I don't think the fact that Lazar got here first is really at all indicative of whether he has more talent than Hathaway.

I also don't necessarily think that Lazar has a lot more space to develop because he's younger. From what I've seen, you have a pretty good idea of what a player will be by the end of their third full season - with plenty of exceptions, of course, but I think this is the norm for more than 50 percent of NHLers. Rarely do guys seem to continually trend upward solely because they're young. Once you've got a couple hundred games under your belt, you've adapted to the league or you haven't.

Lazar may be a late bloomer and as a prospect I still like him more than Hathaway. I think Lazar still has a 50/50 shot to turn into a reliable, hard-working 35pt guy. But at this point in time, Hathaway's the better hockey player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Cryano, I get what you’re saying but honestly the NHL is littered with players that have their best years in season 4, 5, 6, even year 7. I agree the good 1st round picks are often good to go by year 2 or 3 post draft and hit the ground running, but a players draft position should only matter to the scouts. The players game and development is on the player so it’s very possible that Lazar keeps trending into something no one is expecting however unlikely that might seem at this point in time. Again, many wrote Backlund off completely and thought of him as an afterthought. Bassard is another good example. And it wasn’t 3 weeks ago that some intelligent folk were ready to cut bait with Bennett for almost anything equaling a bag of pucks.

I think as long as a player is trending up, there is reason for optimism.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah, I was all excited with Lance Bouma.....just saying

I like Hathway, he is a good energy player for the 4th line but let's not get carried away

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016

The problem is that Lazar is trending downward. Arguably he's better than last year in that he's been a roster mainstay? But that's debatable. Doesn't really look any better now than he did at the start of the season, or in his first few games for us.

I think he has a good shot to break out, based on his first few seasons in Ottawa, but I am definitely less excited about him as a player than I was when we acquired him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’m less excited about him to, I was hoping he could be another Ferland. But I have seen some signs of improvement, so I suppose there’s that. He really just needs to generate some more offensive chances and I’d be happy, but he’s not playing on a line to give him a lot of success.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't see Lazar ever becoming more than a poor man's Stajan at his peak. Would love for him to prove me wrong but I don't have high hopes

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room

Yes there is a reason why Lazar is 22 with 200+ NHL games and Hathaway is 26 with 47+. In fact there are multiple reasons.

• Lazar went the CHL route, Hathaway went the NCAA route
  • Lazar was drafted, Hathaway was not
  • Lazar was rushed into the NHL, Hathaway was not
  • Lazar was given every opportunity to be an NHL regular and ended up losing his waiver exemption as a result (because of his draft position), Hathaway was developing in college and the AHL
  • Lazar was acquired for a 2nd round pick because of his "pedigree", Hathaway was an undrafted UFA, so the Flames were more willing to give Lazar an opportunity because of the spent assets

None of those reasons make Lazar any better. However their play on the ice tells us that Hathaway is currently a better player.

Reactions: Cyrano

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think Lazar is clearly the better player now with better upside but Hathaway is still a good 4th line option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->