Confirmed with Link: All contracts settled. Buyout window open for 48 hrs

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Tre must be pretty certain that either Kylington or Valimaki will be capable of filling the last slot on the left side or that Brodie will be moved to the third pair with either Andersson or Hamonic filling the right side on the first pairing.

I’d rather he hold off on Valimaki for this year. Give him one year in the AHL. Most likely benefits him and definitely benefits the team as it would keep him ineligible for the Seattle expansion draft

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I’d rather he hold off on Valimaki for this year. Give him one year in the AHL. Most likely benefits him and definitely benefits the team as it would keep him ineligible for the Seattle expansion draft

Assuming it's the same rules as the Vegas draft (which we've been told it will), it's two years of professional level hockey.

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

AHL counts as professional I believe in this context.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd like to see a bit more of his on ice play before deciding he's ready for the NHL over Kulak. Gym mirror selfies don't give the same level of detail as preseason games.

I disagree, if you look like a million bucks, and feel like a million bucks, dance like a million bucks, you play like a million bucks.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'd like to see a bit more of his on ice play before deciding he's ready for the NHL over Kulak. Gym mirror selfies don't give the same level of detail as preseason games.

I've seen enough of Kylington's on-ice play to know for a fact that he should be in the NHL, but I just don't think that has anything to do with Kulak. Both are two of the six or seven best guys we can ice on any given night. It's a false dichotomy to say we can have only one or the other (especially when BOTH are proficient on either side of the ice). Especially when you start making up reasons like "Stone is better defensively (translation: Stone is older, higher paid, never has the puck and is always chasing, so he must be better defensively even if he's not) or Prout is a player every roster needs (translation: We're a dark age team that still thinks you need a facepuncher)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I've seen enough of Kylington's on-ice play to know for a fact that he should be in the NHL, but I just don't think that has anything to do with Kulak. Both are two of the six or seven best guys we can ice on any given night. It's a false dichotomy to say we can have only one or the other. Especially when you start making up reasons like "Stone is better defensively (translation: Stone is older, higher paid, never has the puck and is always chasing, so he must be better defensively even if he's not) or Prout is a player every roster needs (translation: We're a dark age team that still thinks you need a facepuncher)

You have constructed my fictitious argument and destroyed it quite expertly, sir. Well done.

I think NHL teams would salivate at the thought of attacking a pairing of Kulak and Kylington. They wouldn't have to to the dirty areas because there wouldn't be any. There's something to be said for how much time a pairing spends in their own end, but there is much more to be said for how often time in their own end leads to a goal against. Right now, Stone is better at that aspect as he has more experience in where to be and how to keep guys away from the most dangerous spots.

As a third pairing guy, of course he had goofy moments, but my opinion was that it was more systematic in Kulak's game (and Kylington's in the world's smallest sample size from preseason).

Also, I don't expect Prout to play a dozen games.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
You have constructed my fictitious argument and destroyed it quite expertly, sir. Well done.

Didn't mean you as in Anglesmith. Meant you as in certain nameless terrible posters on CFHF.

I think NHL teams would salivate at the thought of attacking a pairing of Kulak and Kylington.

Like they salivate at the thought of attacking a pairing of Ellis-Josi? Kylington and Kulak are probably the two best neutral zone defensemen we have after Gio-Brodie. You wouldn't even be able to enter the zone on that pair, which is perfect with Smith on the back handling the puck and copious offensive zone deployment to mazimize their strengths. Teams would sooner salivate at the thought of tearing apart the Stone-Andersson paing people want. Defense isn't just play in the defensive zone. So much of defense, especially for a non-top-pairing guy, is playing a tight trap game and these two do it very well without the puck.

They wouldn't have to to the dirty areas because there wouldn't be any. There's something to be said for how much time a pairing spends in their own end, but there is much more to be said for how often time in their own end leads to a goal against.

The latter of which says more about goaltending that defensive play. And it's easy to pretend that because of the style they play those two aren't any good in the defensive zone, when actually watching them defend in the defensive zone disproves that. Kulak is actually very steady without the puck in the D-zone and Kylington's major issue is his play WITH the puck in the D-zone, if that's a major issue at all, which I'm not convinced it is.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Like they salivate at the thought of attacking a pairing of Ellis-Josi? Kylington and Kulak are probably the two best neutral zone defensemen we have after Gio-Brodie. You wouldn't even be able to enter the zone on that pair, which is perfect with Smith on the back handling the puck and copious offensive zone deployment to mazimize their strengths. Teams would sooner salivate at the thought of tearing apart the Stone-Andersson paing people want. Defense isn't just play in the defensive zone.

I'm not saying it is. I'm saying the most important defence is played in the defensive end. Both Ellis and Josi are great in their defensive end and aren't prone to the same lapses, so that's not a valid comparison.

You think NHL teams won't be able to enter the zone against that pairing? I bet you a nickel.

The latter of which says more about goaltending that defensive play. And it's easy to pretend that because of the style they play those two aren't any good in the defensive zone, when actually watching them defend in the defensive zone disproves that. Kulak is actually very steady without the puck in the D-zone and Kylington's major issue is his play WITH the puck in the D-zone, if that's a major issue at all, which I'm not convinced it is.

Kulak is like a hurdle in track and field. Usually he's in the right place, but it rarely stops anyone from going where they want to go. That's a harsh assessment, of course, but to suggest that he is impactful over and above his competitors is a high standard.

Also, while he's shown flashes, it's not like he did anything terribly impressive on offence. I would definitely prefer that he isn't claimed so we can hopefully take the next step, but I'm not convinced he's above his replacements as of now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've seen enough of Kylington's on-ice play to know for a fact that he should be in the NHL, but I just don't think that has anything to do with Kulak. Both are two of the six or seven best guys we can ice on any given night. It's a false dichotomy to say we can have only one or the other (especially when BOTH are proficient on either side of the ice). Especially when you start making up reasons like "Stone is better defensively (translation: Stone is older, higher paid, never has the puck and is always chasing, so he must be better defensively even if he's not) or Prout is a player every roster needs (translation: We're a dark age team that still thinks you need a facepuncher)

Tom+Wilson+2018+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Final+Game+uZIfaaQZ5E4l.jpg

L4SSQU7q_400x400.jpg

Yup.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tom Wilson could hang with Ovi. Could you say the same about wih Prout with, say, Gio?

I'm not a fan of Prout. But saying Calgary's archaic for having a guy who can fight; is silly. People employ guys who can play and tussle. Not saying Prout can :laugh:

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm not a fan of Prout. But saying Calgary's archaic for having a guy who can fight; is silly. People employ guys who can play and tussle. Not saying Prout can :laugh:

It's not archaic to have a guy who can fight. Give me Wilson, Ferland, Pronger, Benn, etc any day.
It's archaic to have a guy who can only fight. I have no interest in tying up a roster spot in a Prout, Bollig, Reeves, etc. And yes, successful teams can still waste roster spots and that doesn't make them right.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It's not archaic to have a guy who can fight. Give me Wilson, Ferland, Pronger, Benn, etc any day.
It's archaic to have a guy who can only fight. I have no interest in tying up a roster spot in a Prout, Bollig, Reeves, etc. And yes, successful teams can still waste roster spots and that doesn't make them right.

How would you define being right except being successful? Not attacking your point on the archaic but just the logic. Reaves at least still had impact in the playoffs I would argue.

I'm not pro facepuncher. I used to be when it was still an important thing, and McGratton is still one of my favorite Flames in recent memory. But I'd rather we take more chances on Czarnik's than Bolligs.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
How would you define being right except being successful?

Team success does not mean an individual made a positive contribution to said team success. A defenseman can be terrible and bailed out for 30+ games in a row by all-world goaltending. A depth forward can be offensively useless and bailed out by an explosive top line.

Further, even a hot individual playoff run by an indivudal on a successful team, we can call him Devante Smith-Pelly, does not mean said individual can ever re-produce said hot playoff run.

You emulate what a successful team did that actually made them successful, not everything they did.

Reaves at least still had impact in the playoffs I would argue.

Anyone can have an impact over a small sample size. Last year we had a ten-ish game stretch where Garnet Hathaway was racking up assists like a first liner. Doesn't mean you should sabatoge the best possible lineup because a guy punches face and talks trash. I don't think St. Louis missed reeves, I don't think Pittsburgh missed Reeves, and I don't think Vegas would have missed Reeves in the grand scheme. He's not very good.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Prout is an upgrade to Keegan Kanzig. I don't think he was intended to replace Kulak. It was Treliving finding value. I will say that both Kulak and TSpoon both had shots to be NHL regulars but somehow didn't run with it.

I recall OKG stating Kulak was better suited for Gully's system. But I really don't get why Kulak didn't stand out. I don't think it's stone. I think Kulak legitimately lacks a form of aggression. He's too cool headed or something.

In a similar vein, I don't get why Ramus Anderson didn't shoot more in his time with us. He passes the puck too much IMO. Are the young dmen being taught something passive?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Prout is an upgrade to Keegan Kanzig. I don't think he was intended to replace Kulak. It was Treliving finding value. I will say that both Kulak and TSpoon both had shots to be NHL regulars but somehow didn't run with it.

I recall OKG stating Kulak was better suited for Gully's system. But I really don't get why Kulak didn't stand out. I don't think it's stone. I think Kulak legitimately lacks a form of aggression. He's too cool headed or something.

In a similar vein, I don't get why Ramus Anderson didn't shoot more in his time with us. He passes the puck too much IMO. Are the young dmen being taught something passive?
Prout is a Bartkowski replacement, anything suggesting anything different is out to lunch.

Kulak is missing any for of aggression, you are correct. And that is both physically and offensively. With Wotherspoon, he never took that step forward IMO until this past season and unfortunately for him our blueline was incredibly healthy.

I think with Andersson we need more of a sample size, let him get comfortable and see if he starts shooting more.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kulak moved either before the start of the season or at the trade deadline. These arbitration cases often turn toxic and with Tre's sensitivity to negative attitudes in the locker room it becomes likely.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Flames like Kulak. They gave him a qualifying offer after all and we know that Treliving hasn't been shy to not qualify players that don't fit into his salary structure. So I fully expect Kulak to be back for 2018-2019 after signing a one or two year deal for 800K to 1.0M.

But the reality is, there's no real longterm future for him here. Giordano and Hanifin are ahead of him while Kylington and Valimaki are right behind him (if not already level). So unless Kulak breaks out in a big way next season and makes himself indispensable, it's not exactly a stretch they'll look at moving him to address deficiencies elsewhere, namely draft picks and possibly goaltending.

Right now, no GM wants to deal with arbitration for an unheralded player with a single season under his belt but a strong year, maybe more minutes and responsibility should there be injuries, and maybe he has decent value next summer.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't see Kulak here after next season. I think Valimaki eventually takes his spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->