Confirmed with Link: All contracts settled. Buyout window open for 48 hrs

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hanifin is the real crap shoot here. If we bridge him we might pay for it. I would rather give them both 6 years now.

Would rather bridge Hanifin so that we can buy more UFA years from him. If we only sign him to a 6 year deal, we make that risk of not being able to re-sign him when he becomes a UFA. It would be more wise to keep him as long as possible.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hanifin is the real crap shoot here. If we bridge him we might pay for it. I would rather give them both 6 years now.

In six years he'll be a UFA at 27. While we may get a more favorable cap hit now if we sign him long term, we risk him leaving as a UFA. Not to mention if he never full turns into what we hope he will.

Reactions: Cyrano

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I agree on Hanifin; I think he's exactly the type of player you take a little bit of a risk on, as long as he'd sign to a reasonable deal long term. If the Flames can get him for 7-8 years (6 is too short, IMO) at 5 millon or lower, I'm all about it.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Eh, Treliving signed Hamilton to a six year deal when he was 22. He signed Monahan to a seven year deal when he was 22. He's about to sign Lindholm to a five or six year deal while he's 23. And presumably, he'll sign Tkachuk to a six or seven year deal when he'll be 21 next year.

Treliving seems to care more about balancing a manageable cap hit with moderate term length over one or the other. Plus buying UFA years is expensive, especially for high picks with untapped potential.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Eh, Treliving signed Hamilton to a six year deal when he was 22. He signed Monahan to a seven year deal when he was 22. He's about to sign Lindholm to a five or six year deal while he's 23. And presumably, he'll sign Tkachuk to a six or seven year deal when he'll be 21 next year.

Treliving seems to care more about balancing a manageable cap hit with moderate term length over one or the other. Plus buying UFA years is expensive, especially for high picks with untapped potential.

I really don't want to think about that contract we're gonna have to give Monahan when he's 29 and has two Cups, a Selke and back to back Rocket Richards :naughty:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

giphy.gif

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This has happened a few times. GM waives the guy because they feel the contract demands are egregious. Basically saying, lets see how 30 GM's value you. If he clears, and he probably should, the GM now has the leverage to say, take it or leave it with whatever offer he has on the table.

This happened with Stephane Veilleux while he was in Minnesota some years ago. But it did end up souring the relationship.

If he is claimed, well, hello Kylington

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
This has happened a few times. GM waives the guy because they feel the contract demands are egregious. Basically saying, lets see how 30 GM's value you. If he clears, and he probably should, the GM now has the leverage to say, take it or leave it with whatever offer he has on the table.

This happened with Stephane Veilleux while he was in Minnesota some years ago. But it did end up souring the relationship.

I wouldn't be so sure he will clear. There are many teams that are short on inexpensive depth d-men. Teams that come to mind Toronto, Edmonton, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I expect Calgary to have offered him that 2 year, 1.3-1.5 million type deal; one way.
Kulak probably looked at Bennett's deal, or Stone's deal, and said, come on man; the guy I played with and was able to keep up with is making 3x more than I'm suppose to? Or the guy who's proven about as much as me making 2 million?

This is definitely a negotiating tactic.

I like Kulak a lot, he's an NHL'er; but not the worst thing in the world if it clears up space for Rasmus or Oliver.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

I like Kylington but Kylington and Andersson on a third pair kind of scares me. Both very offensive minded guys

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Meh good riddance, he was just a warm body IMO. Would much rather see Kylington/Valimaki/Andersson given more room.

Now, to move Jankowski. :)

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Meh good riddance, he was just a warm body IMO. Would much rather see Kylington/Valimaki/Andersson given more room.

Now, to move Jankowski. :)

Why? This is the best center depth we've had in the modern NHL and it gives us a ton of lineup flexibility. What would we even move him for at this point?

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I like Kylington but Kylington and Andersson on a third pair kind of scares me. Both very offensive minded guys

Tre must be pretty certain that either Kylington or Valimaki will be capable of filling the last slot on the left side or that Brodie will be moved to the third pair with either Andersson or Hamonic filling the right side on the first pairing.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
It won't make or break our roster but would be a shame if he got claimed. Thought he turned into a solid NHLer last year and losing assets for nothing is never good. Even if he's realistically worth a 3rd rounder or whatever.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly I follow Oliver on IG, guy is a total genetic freak, such an athlete. I’m would way prefer he plays over Kulak anyways. Still a little balffled that he was waived.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Honestly I follow Oliver on IG, guy is a total genetic freak, such an athlete. I’m would way prefer he plays over Kulak anyways. Still a little balffled that he was waived.

I'd like to see a bit more of his on ice play before deciding he's ready for the NHL over Kulak. Gym mirror selfies don't give the same level of detail as preseason games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad