News Article: Garland vs Keller

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Nice article from ESPN on Garland. His responses are like his play on the ice. He knows what needs to be done and consistently strives to work harder and be better.

Contrast that to Keller. He often looks scared and indifferent on the ice. IMO, the tone of his responses in his interview pretty much parallel is play. Sort of like ....oh well.

Garland mentioned that it used to come easy and then had a realization that he needed to step it up. Maybe Keller needs that day of reckoning too or I fear what we're seeing now is his ceiling.

The NHL's best and worst this week: Inside Conor Garland's ascension

Arizona Coyotes need more out of Clayton Keller

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Chayka is going to look like an idiot if Keller has already peaked. For the Coyotes sake, Keller better not have peaked.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
I know Keller has been invisible for about 4 weeks, but I do think he has a chance to turn it around next year or two. If he can put on some strength and confidence, he is a 70+ point player. I was hoping they would let him take a couple games off recently to slow everything down for him, but it looks like he is coming out of it now.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Being named an all star at such a young age might not have been great for Keller's development.

I love seeing prospects earn their AHL pay before getting called up. It's a great place to mature.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I once worked with a card carrying Mensa genius; read books on quantum physics for fun. But she didn't function well in society; I wouldn't trust her to walk my dog.

How does this realate to JC? He might be a genius, but doesn't mean he can assemble a Cup winner.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
I love that Chayka gets absolutely no credit for turning this absolute dumpster fire shithole embarrassment of an organization into a playoff contender in 3 years. Starts off with literally one of the worst rosters in the history of the league and absolutely nothing as far as prospects and the team would have made the playoffs last year if not for the historic amount of injuries.

Clearly anybody can do that which is why the Coyotes have such a rich history of winning...

We'll see if his creation can get over the hump and into to the playoffs, but to get this far in such a short amount of time is f***ing brilliant. Full stop. Have fun with the fickle fan circle jerk though.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I love that Chayka gets absolutely no credit for turning this absolute dumpster fire shithole embarrassment of an organization into a playoff contender in 3 years. Starts off with literally one of the worst rosters in the history of the league and absolutely nothing as far as prospects and the team would have made the playoffs last year if not for the historic amount of injuries.

Clearly anybody can do that which is why the Coyotes have such a rich history of winning...

We'll see if his creation can get over the hump and into to the playoffs, but to get this far in such a short amount of time is f*cking brilliant. Full stop. Have fun with the fickle fan circle jerk though.

On top of it we haven't been able to draft a McEichle, Matthews, Laine, Svechnikov, Pettersson like some of these other teams.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
On top of it we haven't been able to draft a McEichle, Matthews, Laine, Svechnikov, Pettersson like some of these other teams.

Whatever else anyone thinks of Chayka, what he's done with the scouting staff has been significant for this franchise. Maloney should get credit, at least for the first few years of his tenure, for what he did for the team on the ice - but I was not at all a fan of his drafts. Chayka has given us some legitimate prospects in our pipeline - and one of our best is a guy virtually none of us had on our radar.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017

We'll see if his creation can get over the hump and into to the playoffs, but to get this far in such a short amount of time is f*cking brilliant. Full stop. Have fun with the fickle fan circle jerk though.

He had no where to go but up...of course it looks like he did something. I would love to work for you...big raise and much praise for very little. Congrats on the yummy kool-aid.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He had no where to go but up...of course it looks like he did something. I would love to work for you...big raise and much praise for very little. Congrats on the yummy kool-aid.

His moves have been aggressive and definitive. Chayka didn't just luck into a few good players.

You seem to be conveniently forgetting the futility of the franchise pre Chayka, including the FOG years. Must be nice.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

cobra427

May 6, 2012

He is not brilliant (yet). Nobody is saying Chayka gets no credit, I think we are saying he isn't considered elite (yet). Yes we have bounced back, but even a dead cat bounces once. Lets get into the playoffs one year in a row:)

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
His moves have been aggressive and definitive. Chayka didn't just luck into a few good players.

You seem to be conveniently forgetting the futility of the franchise pre Chayka, including the FOG years. Must be nice.
You seem to forget that no one has had the $$$ to work with, and did not have the NHL breathing down your neck. Speaking of futility, Chayka has not taken us out of futility as of today. To be honest, the only thing Chayka has done is put us in cap hell. He also hired this coach who you want fired.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You seem to forget that no one has had the $$$ to work with, and did not have the NHL breathing down your neck. Speaking of futility, Chayka has not taken us out of futility as of today. To be honest, the only thing Chayka has done is put us in cap hell. He also hired this coach who you want fired.

The old saying is you build great teams from drafting. And you don’t need a big budget to draft good players. So if you you’re going to sell the idea that Maloney’s drafts his last 3 or 4 years we’re better than Chayka’s first three then good luck with that.

:)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The old saying is you build great teams from drafting. And you don’t need a big budget to draft good players. So if you you’re going to sell the idea that Maloney’s drafts his last 3 or 4 years we’re better than Chayka’s first three then good luck with that.

:)
Results matter, Chayka's draft picks look fine, no results yet:)

Reactions: Jakey53

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Keller is a joke. His stick to the dick shenanigans, on Monday was unacceptable. He can train all he wants, the reality is he is averse to contact and it's limiting.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
In 2015, Maloney let Chayka make one selection at the draft.

That selection? Conor Garland.

UK Yote

Jun 28, 2018
Let me see.... Garland $775,000 until 21/22....Keller $7,150,000 end of this season. Garland 20 goals, 15 assists 62 games....Keller 13 goals, 24 assists 63 games.
No brainer Garland is tenacious, never stops skating, willing to take any amount of punishment on the ice and Keller just kinda floats would rather throw the puck away than take a hit.
Sit Keller adjust the lines bring Hayton in and see if this team can finally start getting some goals (7th lowest in the league) and more importantly wins!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad