Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
From the first 5 it looks exactly like NHL.coms Mock Drafts, which more or less use CSS to do them.

Anyone have Insider and post the rest? And I still don't think Boston will take any defencemen in the top 10 other then Murphy or Larsson.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
From the first 5 it looks exactly like NHL.coms Mock Drafts, which more or less use CSS to do them.

The top tier of 4 seems pretty set, so most top 5s will look pretty similar.

Joyce is better than the NHL.com guys, as he provides weekly updates on the Draft for ESPN and has written a book about the scouting process. He actually goes to the various junior tourneys, so his rankings reflect his opinions along with the scouting contacts he has.

In his post-WJC column, he still had Couturier #1, so I'm not sure if he has Larsson on top now or if he's thinking Edmonton has greater need at D.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Siemens all the way at 21 (for the caps). Wow.

I'd be kind of upset if ottawa picked Scott Mayfield and the habs took Jensen on pick later, which is what joyce has it at. Unless we're picking larsson, screw defense. We're good there. Nashville 1st and Ottawa 2nd should be used on the best forwards available, unless there's a cant-miss guy falling. Mayfield is more of a safe, low upside, project pick.

oh, and because leafs fans are going to ask, he gave you Mark McNeill, with the options of Shane Prince and Seth Ambroz as alternatives.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Siemens all the way at 21 (for the caps). Wow.

I'd be kind of upset if ottawa picked Scott Mayfield and the habs took Jensen on pick later, which is what joyce has it at. Unless we're picking larsson, screw defense. We're good there. Nashville 1st and Ottawa 2nd should be used on the best forwards available, unless there's a cant-miss guy falling. Mayfield is more of a safe, low upside, project pick.

oh, and because leafs fans are going to ask, he gave you Mark McNeill, with the options of Shane Prince and Seth Ambroz as alternatives.

Could you list them all for us :)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
nah, gare is a good guy and posts here. He's paid by ESPN to do this. ESPN pays that by insider subscriptions/ESPN mag subscriptions.

ask about a specific team or a specific prospect and i'll be happy to help though.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Avs - Huberdeau at 7. Strome was gone, next best fwd was Saad.

edit: someone just told me that you could see insider stuff for free until march 12th if you like it on their facebook page and then login with facebook. So yeah... do that.
http://www.facebook.com/ESPN?v=app_10339498918

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Avs - Huberdeau at 7. Strome was gone, next best fwd was Saad.

edit: someone just told me that you could see insider stuff for free until march 12th if you like it on their facebook page and then login with facebook. So yeah... do that.

If they are picking a FW at that spot, those are 2 of the 3 I would want....I would rather have Puempel over Saad though.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insi...m/nhl/insider/columns/story?page=NHLMockDraft

It might not be the strongest draft ever, but you'd have to count it as one of the more interesting ones.

The first tier is distinct, as the top four prospects in the 2011 draft have clearly separated themselves from the field. What's more, each of the players looks nothing like the three others.

Isles aren't at the start of their rebuild.They aren't looking to trade down for extra picks.

I do think that if a team offers Snow a high end 20-22 yr old,he may trade his 1st.Not for extra picks though.

arsmaster*

YOu probably looked youself since its free, but Gare had the Canucks taking Rask....one pick after Mark Mcneil a player who I would rather have.

Unrelated, and hopefully Gare can provide more info....What are the background noises clouding the picture with JT Miller, and is he actually comparable to Ryan Kesler (this year).

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
Like most mock drafts, a masterpiece of idiot generalisations, ideal for those who seek to deceive themselves for entertainment purposes.

"though he's not the usual Devils pick -- neither collegian nor Swede", as if it was some sort of aberration for the Devils not to pick a Swede or a collegian in the first round. Their last collegian 1RP, incidentally, was Zach Parise in 2003.

"It's probably a coin flip that Islanders GM Garth Snow moves the pick in a convoluted deal to add picks". Right. Either his inside information is downright fantastic, or he's inferring a general trend from the fact that Garth Snow did this once before, in 2008.

Not saying Joyce is an idiot. It's just that here he's writing as if he thinks we are.

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
Like most mock drafts, a masterpiece of idiot generalisations, ideal for those who seek to deceive themselves for entertainment purposes.

"though he's not the usual Devils pick -- neither collegian nor Swede", as if it was some sort of aberration for the Devils not to pick a Swede or a collegian in the first round. Their last collegian 1RP, incidentally, was Zach Parise in 2003.

"It's probably a coin flip that Islanders GM Garth Snow moves the pick in a convoluted deal to add picks". Right. Either his inside information is downright fantastic, or he's inferring a general trend from the fact that Garth Snow did this once before, in 2008.

Not saying Joyce is an idiot. It's just that here he's writing as if he thinks we are.

Or perhaps he's taking a little poetic license here? Should prospect gurus begrudge him that when you consider that he's writing about hockey on ESPN, which rates the sport somewhere after NASCAR and before tennis... anything to spice things up a bit, right?

zeus3007*

I stopped reading when he had the Oilers picking Larrson. The Oilers don't like picking defensemen with 1st round picks, and when they have, it has backfired. I would be shocked if the Oilers don't take RNH or trade down with Ottawa and take Coutourier.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Good point. He does NOT have inside information. Two years ago not one single person knew Snow was going to take Tavares until the second he made the selection. You think four months before the draft Snow let it leak out what he's going to do - LIKE HE'S EVEN MADE UP HIS MIND YET?!

Let's cease all mock drafts until after the combine.

arsmaster*

It's called creative journalism. geez, coming from the guy who takes THN's top prospects as gospel, you would think you would understand that ALL journalism has some of the authors OWN creative flair.

BTW, Garth Snow flipped picks around like crazy in 2009 as well. It isnt like it only happened ONCE.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Can someone tell us where Gare placed some of the following Americans? I don't have a Facebook account so I can't view the rankings.

Saad
Biggs
Nieto
Grimaldi
Noeson
Prince
Trocheck
Jacobs
McColgan
Ambroz
Lucia

Ad