Gardiner's prospect grade needs to be fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoYouBeleaf

Aug 13, 2010
Mississauga
It seems people not that he has become a Leaf, his ranking should instantly change based on the team he plays for. Basically like saying Kessel is terrible because he plays on the Leafs.

CandiedBacon

Seguin and Hamilton
Sep 2, 2010
EpicMealTime
Not trying to leafs hate was just checking out their top prospects hell he's equal to Kadri. Should be 7.5C or 7.0C.

This whole thread was taken absolutely out of context.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He's better than Hickey. Therefore rated higher than Hickey.

not really any other choice.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Not trying to leafs hate was just checking out their top prospects hell he's equal to Kadri. Should be 7.5C or 7.0C.

This whole thread was taken absolutely out of context.

The thing is Gardiner has been an 8.0C prospect ever since he was drafted in 2008.

What has he done to be bumped down?

He had a good rookie season in college. He had a rough second year.

In his third year he is 11th in the league in scoring (as a defencemen) and 2nd in the league in defensive scoring.

Why does his rating need to go down now?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The thing is Gardiner has been an 8.0C prospect ever since he was drafted in 2008.

What has he done to be bumped down?

He had a good rookie season in college. He had a rough second year.

In his third year he is 11th in the league in scoring (as a defencemen) and 2nd in the league in defensive scoring.

Why does his rating need to go down now?

Because he doesn't really have top pairing potential (8.0 means topping out as a very good #2 d-man). Watching him in college, it's pretty clear, really. He struggles with reading the play.

He's a solid prospect, but much more in the 3/4 mold than a top 2 d-man. He's not smart enough in terms of hockey sense to rate higher.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Because he doesn't really have top pairing potential (8.0 means topping out as a very good #2 d-man). Watching him in college, it's pretty clear, really. He struggles with reading the play.

He's a solid prospect, but much more in the 3/4 mold than a top 2 d-man. He's not smart enough in terms of hockey sense to rate higher.

I think 8 means a safe bet to be a top 4 defenseman, and not a top 2. I'm just speculating here. I'd figure 9 would be the top pairing grade.

As it is, I think Gardiner has the potential to be a solid defenseman in the NHL, but not a great one. Even if he can become a solid number 4, I'd be happy.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
In what world can you justify Gardiner being equal too Gudbransson, Paajarvi, Johansen and Schenn and Considered better than Franson, Blum, Skinner and Nino. This needs to be fixed.

All of those except Skinner project about Gardiner's level at this point. I'd rate each one a 7.5C, again, except Skinner - he's definitely more of an 8.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I think 8 means a safe bet to be a top 4 defenseman, and not a top 2. I'm just speculating here. I'd figure 9 would be the top pairing grade.

As it is, I think Gardiner has the potential to be a solid defenseman in the NHL, but not a great one. Even if he can become a solid number 4, I'd be happy.

8 is top pairing but he has a C attached to it which means he is likely to be a top 4 defensemen but his ceiling is a top pairing defensemen but it's unlikely he hits that which is why he is a C.

Shockingly, the other person chooses to complain about the grade after Gardiner gets traded to the Leafs and not the 2 years before that.

:shakehead

Turboflex*

If anything Jake Gardiner needs to be boosted a few grades. This guy is gonna be an all star, the next freaking lidstrom!! boy did Burke make an AMAZING trade, that guy is such a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad