News Article: Gardiner update looking positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
So, you're basing your disapproval on a quote that occurred less than 3 months into a new GMs tenure, a GM that is still only 10 months into the job, who did upgrade our defense by trading for a quality Dman, before the draft, while you casually omit that the 2 Dmen injured can be considered 2 of our top 4...5 at worst...and indicate that his quote was a mistake when the option for him was??? "You're right, our D isn't deep enough or strong enough as assembled and I'm going to hamstring myself in future negotiations with the other GMs because I'm going to tell everyone the truth." What exactly would you have had him say?

It's consistent with other mistakes hes made in the media. He casually talked about the nylander negotiations as though they weren't a priority and that it would get done. Almost giving a take it or leave message to the nylander camp. This didn't sit well and negotiations were harder than they needed to be. In contrast a veteran GM like Lou kept his mouth shut until he had something done. That's the right way to do business.

In this instance he was asked a direct question about the D and gave his professional opinion. Most people in the hockey world didn't agree with the comment. What it says to me is that he really felt we had enough at that position. It further illustrates that he likely didn't feel we need help beyond the Muzzin move and likely didn't push hard to acquire additional help at the deadline.

This decision/opinion has cost us home ice the playoffs. Along with the goalie decision mistake. And may ultimately result in a first round exit. That's not acceptable in my opinion given the team he was handed and given the lacking of progression year over year.

This GM was thought to be this genius revolutionary kid who we were willing to gut our (successful) front office to keep. He shouldn't get the "oh well he's just new on the job" excuses, he should have come in and made a difference. So far he's only taken us backwards. I don't find that acceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luminiferous

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's consistent with other mistakes his made in the media. He casually talked about the nylander negotiations as though they weren't a priority and that it would get done. Almost giving a take it or leave message to the nylander camp. This didn't sit well and negations were harder than they needed to be. In contrast a veteran GM like Lou kept his mouth shut until he had something done. That's the right way to do business.

In this instance he was asked a direct question about the D and gave his professional opinion. Most people in the hockey world didn't agree with the comment. What it says to me is that he really felt we had enough at that position. It further illustrates that he likely didn't feel we need help beyond the Muzzin move and likely didn't push hard to acquire additional help at the deadline.

This decision/opinion has cost us home ice the playoffs. Along with the goalie decision mistake. And may ultimately result in a first round exit. That's not acceptable in my opinion given the team he was handed and given the lacking of progression year over year.

This GM was thought to be this genius revolutionary kid who we were willing to gut our (successful) front office to keep. He shouldn't get the "oh well he's just new on the job" excuses, he should have come in and made a difference. So far he's only taken us backwards. I don't find that acceptable.

So many things wrong with post, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Your post have been a running joke in these parts for some time now so no reason to expect anything else I suppose.

Reactions: Walshy7

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Hey how about you female dogs take your bickering to private message and let the thread get back on topic ?

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Is there anything new or still just skating and no contact? I get asset management but I’d assume most can see just how important Jake is to the success of the leafs now. Contenting team playoffs > asset management imho.

Mar 26, 2010
Gardiner almost singlehandedly turned around the first series against Boston. It was an incredible performance.
Yup. Gardiner is a popular whipping boy on here, but he is a very valuable D man. He may be Toronto’s best puck moving D man.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Could someone make a list of GM's who have done more than Dubas to improve their defence since the beginning of this season? I'm just curious, is there anything, anything at all to people like cynick constantly harping on this quote from Dubas or are they just whining about absolutely nothing.

Maybe there's a team that made a bigger add then Muzzin? Maybe there's many teams? I honestly don't know because I don't follow every team that closely but I have this strange feeling that these people are complaining about absolutely nothing.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Agree 100%, I've been saying this for months.

If we can move a forward for a top 4 dman on a nice contract, keeping Gards would be huge.

If he takes a bit of a discount (why risk paying big for a dman with back problems??) and can move a couple of contracts (Marleau, Nylander, Kadri, Brown, or Zaitsev) it might be possible. The way things are looking for the D, Dubas will have many holes to fill.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
They should figure out a way to sign him. Losing him for nothing will suck

Gardiner is good but he will want a long term contract and security which we cannot afford because of Marleau and Zaitsev's contracts.

I think he'll end up getting a 5 year deal for about 7M AAV. If the Oilers have cap space, I can see them being very interested in him.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Gardiner is good but he will want a long term contract and security which we cannot afford because of Marleau and Zaitsev's contracts.

I think he'll end up getting a 5 year deal for about 7M AAV. If the Oilers have cap space, I can see them being very interested in him.
I think there were some rumours that he would sacrifice some AAV in exchange for term a while back.

I think he'd probably do 5 million a year for 8 years. Gives him 40 million in total, so I think it would definitely be a competitive offer. I wouldnt do that though and I dont think the Leafs would have the space to do it anyways.

Mar 26, 2010
They should figure out a way to sign him. Losing him for nothing will suck
For sure. Don’t think we will have the cap room to sign him after Dubas gets the Marner contract done. Jake will also be getting a substantial pay raise on his next contract. I am guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of $6M AAV.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Gards like JVR last year is a victim of the CAP. No one is going to say it publicly. The CAP world is terrible but it is a reality. We have too much money up front and not enough on D. And our D is not balanced. There is not enough defense in our guys. But I am a supporter of Tavares and when it came up gotta do it even if it changes the way the defense can be constructed.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Could someone make a list of GM's who have done more than Dubas to improve their defence since the beginning of this season? I'm just curious, is there anything, anything at all to people like cynick constantly harping on this quote from Dubas or are they just whining about absolutely nothing.

Maybe there's a team that made a bigger add then Muzzin? Maybe there's many teams? I honestly don't know because I don't follow every team that closely but I have this strange feeling that these people are complaining about absolutely nothing.

San Jose with Karlsson and Calgary with Hanifin, perhaps? But other than that, when you go down the list of trades and UFA signings, Toronto has acquired one of the highest impact defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad