News Article: Gardiner update looking positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
And they would have been in the NHL now, but they were injured.

Even before. Our NHL level D is not deep. A guy like Rosen is not some 18 year old kid you are trying to protect. He's a #7-10 guy. If he was good enough out of camp he would have cracked the lineup. We needed one or two proven NHL vets. But our management was more concerned about forth line wingers at the deadline. Which is a poor judgement of the organizational needs.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You often talk to scouts huh. I believe you for sure. Every GM I talk to thinks your a terrible hockey mind <-I can make things up too

At least they have an opinion of me. I don't consider a lot of NHL GMs to be superior hockey minds either. Take our GM for example.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
At least they have an opinion of me. I don't consider a lot of NHL GMs to be superior hockey minds either. Take our GM for example.
Lol! Pats self on back. FYI their opinion of you is your an annoying super fan asking questions about your team

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
Hedman 6'6" 225 --- Rielly 6'1 220
McDonagh 6'1" 215 - Muzzin 6'3" 215

Stralman 5'11" 190 -- Gardiner 6'2" 205
Sergachev 6'3" 215 -- Dermott 6'0" 205

Coburn 6'5" 225 --- Marincin 6'5" 215
Cernak 6'4" 225 --- Holl 6'4" 205
Girardi 6'1" 210 --- Hainsey 6'3" 205
Ruutta 6'3" 200 --- Zaitsev 6'2" 195
if you actually wiki these guys you added an inch to 3 or 4 of our dmen to make your point....

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
This is really good news. Leafs definitely deserve to be in the conversation of legit cup contenders if they get these 2 back before the playoffs

I realllllyyyy hope Babcock has more plays in that system of his in the playoffs

The go North to button hook pass to another North player is so over played and all teams collapse to the net and a Goalie like georgiev looks Vezina worthy.

Lets hope with our top D men back, Babs gets his confidence in the guys for more passing plays.

Dermotts a young pup should be ready to go soon. Gards I want 100%. Sit him longer if that means he can take a larger hit from a Bruin

Go leafs!!!

Reactions: jaric1862

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Umm Reilly was the reason that pair was broken up, not Babcock. Reilly requested to be moved back to LD.
False. He was never even asked. That I can tell you with 100% certainty. DJ and Babcock talked and felt that it took away from Rielly’s game. Muzzin was tried on the right side in practice and struggled.

Watch games and when they get paired together or when Rielly is out with another lefty he is the one on the right side.

Reactions: JoeyBeans

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
You often talk to scouts huh. I believe you for sure. Every GM I talk to thinks your a terrible hockey mind <-I can make things up too

Well he is a cynick so...........................

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Good asset management would have traded this cat at the deadline.
The leafs delusional GM thought they were a legit cup contender this year. Gardiner should have been traded last off-season but Leafs management including Shanny were foolishly giddy about the upcoming season.. Trading for another left d-man in Muzzin was also poor asset management in my opinion. If they get bounced out in the first round Iam 100% vindicated. All they get to show for it is 2-3 home games worth of revenue and one more season of Muzzin. Yes losing Gardiner will save cap space but they lost the opportunity to get another asset.

Last edited:

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Can you two shut the hell up? I came in here expecting some sort of update but all I see are your back and forth bickering posts. Take your argument to private messages.

Reactions: Al14

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nah. Just had to call you on your passive lie / brag.

that loser actually wants people to follow his twitter account, obviously an attention seeker of the highest regard. He is delusional and pretends he has ties the NHL GMs and front offices. I haven't blocked him due to the hilarity he posts but it is getting worse

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
No I would want guys who are not NHL ready but may have potential to be playing every day in the minors (AHL, Europe, CHL, etc).

That aside, it's the job of a good GM to have players who can be effective in the NHL ready to play. Most observers said the Leafs weakness was depth on D. The young GM was asked about that and he said our depth was strong enough. Then when the depth got tested due to only two injuries, he was proven dead wrong.

Having guys in the A who one day MAY be effective NHL D men does not count towards your current NHL ready depth. This was another example of the young GM thinking just having a bunch of young guys constitutes depth. Just like he thought that if you rate goaltenders only by age, you will make the right call.

The young GM focused his energy at the deadline snagging a 4-5th line NHL winger rather than looking for NHL ready depth on D. This was a huge mistake. If it was his only mistake you could forgive it. But he's been wrong far more than right this year. How long can he keep using the I'm a rookie at my job and still learning excuse?

So, you're basing your disapproval on a quote that occurred less than 3 months into a new GMs tenure, a GM that is still only 10 months into the job, who did upgrade our defense by trading for a quality Dman, before the draft, while you casually omit that the 2 Dmen injured can be considered 2 of our top 4...5 at worst...and indicate that his quote was a mistake when the option for him was??? "You're right, our D isn't deep enough or strong enough as assembled and I'm going to hamstring myself in future negotiations with the other GMs because I'm going to tell everyone the truth." What exactly would you have had him say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad