News Article: Gardiner update looking positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
What about:

Rielly Hainsey (proven pair)
Muzzin Dermott (Dermott can play RHD and is closer to a Rielly)
Gards Z (have played together in the past)
I like this. I would like to seperate Jake and Zaitsev though. I dont know what it is, but they look AWFUL together.

Reactions: ToneDog

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Great news. Gards and Dermy are big losses and great at moving the puck. Any team that loses two of their top 4 will struggle mightily. As we have. Can't wait for them to be back.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
dermott is easily better than zaitsev, and it's not really close.

He's much a much better puck moving dman, yes he is.

He also gives up almost as many scoring chances and more goals/60 while being one of the most sheltered players in the league. Did you see what happened last year when he got caught out against Bostons top lines? I member. You know how important QoC and usage are so dont start selectively applying them after preaching their value.

Move Zaitsev down to play with him and Hainsey to play with Gards or some other such combo is a better idea.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
NYk87mA.gif

close enough

I love how he has the state of mind to cover his mouth knowing that a camera is certainly going to be on him in that situation. lol

Reactions: Eric bungay

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You think we're 6 deep? We have two guys injured and we're still icing 6 Dmen, back to math class for you.

I really think that like I said, the only blowhard around here is you. You might want to give that some thought, the pile of evidence is growing.

I'm saying we needed at least 8 quality NHL Dmen to go through the season accounting for injury. We're lucky if we have 6. The young GM thought we had good enough depth. He's been proven wrong...again. it's a pattern with this guy. Seems to have elementary skills at evaluating talent at the NHL level.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
No GM plans for both their NHL and AHL team to get injuries in the same position at the same time. We have better replacements just they are injured.

So you think relying on people who have yet to crack an NHL lineup on a regular basis constitute good depth? Don't feel bad if you do. Apparently it puts you on a hockey knowledge level worthy of being GM the Leafs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Best news I've heard all week. We need those boys back pronto.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
So you think relying on people who have yet to crack an NHL lineup on a regular basis constitute good depth? Don't feel bad if you do. Apparently it puts you on a hockey knowledge level worthy of being GM the Leafs.
The AHL guys injured (Rosen Borgman) are both a superior upgrade on Marincin and Holl. They were in the A because they would be wasted sitting in the press box all season. Thats what guys like M & H r 4. As FILLER. If the other 2 were healthy they would be up and playing. End of story.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I'm saying we needed at least 8 quality NHL Dmen to go through the season accounting for injury. We're lucky if we have 6. The young GM thought we had good enough depth. He's been proven wrong...again. it's a pattern with this guy. Seems to have elementary skills at evaluating talent at the NHL level.

Who is to say he didn't make calls, kick the proverbial tires, for more D? Making a deal for the sake of making a deal isn't good. Plus....Gardiner's injury wasn't known at the time, how serious it was, and Dermott wasn't hurt either.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who is to say he didn't make calls, kick the proverbial tires, for more D? Making a deal for the sake of making a deal isn't good. Plus....Gardiner's injury wasn't known at the time, how serious it was, and Dermott wasn't hurt either.
I thought they did know about Gardiner?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I hope he'll be well rested and ready to go this post season.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

We have 4 injuries, 2 in the AHL and 2 in the NHL. The AHL guys we'd call up are injured. Exactly how deep do you think a teams defense pool should be? No team carries two NHL skilled vets for injury replacement. It's a waste of cap space.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Friendly tip - someone who doesn't understand that 6+2 != 6 shouldn't talk about "elementary skills".

Friendly tip - depth Dmen aren't in the lineup on a regular basis by definition.

Friendly tip - when you post dumb things and do so in a condescending manner, you come off looking like a jackass.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
First 6 games Muzzin played here were his best. I'm not sure anyone should be surprised that was with Morgan Rielly. That pairing looked good, and was broken up for no apparent reason.

Hainsey also looked terrific with Dermott.

Reactions: Al14

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
First 6 games Muzzin played here were his best. I'm not sure anyone should be surprised that was with Morgan Rielly. That pairing looked good, and was broken up for no apparent reason.

Hainsey also looked terrific with Dermott.
Rielly was struggling on the right side

Reactions: Wings4Life

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Gardiner was moving really well in that clip. Just as add here, Friedman obviously isn't that plugged into the Leafs, he was doom and gloom, and miracleously Jake is now nimble and skating backwards. He looks a bit foolish, because I assure you he didn't get off the couch yesterday skating that aggresssively.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
No he wasn't.
He was and that's the reason for the change. I expect he would have found his groove, given he's played well on the right side previously, but he was having trouble with picking up pucks, angling forwards and just in general adapting to speed and gap.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He was and that's the reason for the change. I expect he would have found his groove, given he's played well on the right side previously, but he was having trouble with picking up pucks, angling forwards and just in general adapting to speed and gap.

He did not struggle on the right. He, in fact, hardly missed a beat. There definitely has been a narrative that it didn't work, but it's not reality.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If the Playoffs start on the 11th against Boston, that would be about 6 weeks recovery for both of them from when they got injured. Dermott might get the last week of games in. Still not going to be too optimistic about Gardiner, back issues can regress as easily as they improve. Hope it works out though, at least Dermott is going to take a spot.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The AHL guys injured (Rosen Borgman) are both a superior upgrade on Marincin and Holl. They were in the A because they would be wasted sitting in the press box all season. Thats what guys like M & H r 4. As FILLER. If the other 2 were healthy they would be up and playing. End of story.

Then the young GM should have had better guys in the 7-8 hole. He failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad