Value of: Gardiner Should be shopped

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Looking for 6-7 mil as per who?

I am not a Gardiner fan but he is going to get paid. Were talking about a 40-50 pts defenseman here who is on the right side of 30. Some sucker GM is going to pay him around $6M AAV. Leafs will either flip him for an asset they can re-sign at the deadline or let him walk as a UFA. They need the cap space and to target defensive defenseman who are reliable in their own end.

I don't see many teams lining up to trade for him. Everybody knows his stats are pumped up due to the team he plays for and his defense play is average at best. If he played on the Habs, he would have a hard time getting 30 pts.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I like Rielly. He’s a really nice looking player. I remember Brian Burke saying they would have taken him at 1 and lucked out to get him at 5. Looks like he was on to something. If I were to get a Leafs jersey though, it would probably be Marleau. I’ve seen a lot of him over his career and come to appreciate him.
I picked up a #12 ARETNAS jersey last season.
It's beautiful. Wore it all summer hockey.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Looking for 6-7 mil as per who?

I think he's guessing there, but it's not an unreasonable guess. Gardiner makes 4.05 million per now, and he should have another 50+ point season this year. An offensive D-Man like that will command 6 million on the open market for sure, I bet.

Overpriced, but that seems to be the going rate for guys like him.

Time for someone else to take him.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Don’t kid yourselves, if he ever hit the trade/FA market he’d have a lot of suiters. We don’t have a replacement for him at this point, and our defence would struggle like crazy. Dermott is good, not sure if having him run the 2nd pair is good for his development.
Good post.

He'll probably get too much for what he is, but he would fit in nicely as a 2nd pairing dman on a good number of teams.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Can we just pull up posts from last year where people were saying JVR was so one dimensional that he would get 4.5 mil per season or some ****. The minute leaf players stop being leafs they suddenly get all that back credit and respect they didn't get because they played for THE MOST IMPORTANT FRANCHISE IN THE LEAGUE.
Are you having a nervous breakdown ?

PS: You're funny.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
I am not a Gardiner fan but he is going to get paid. Were talking about a 40-50 pts defenseman here who is on the right side of 30. Some sucker GM is going to pay him around $6M AAV. Leafs will either flip him for an asset they can re-sign at the deadline or let him walk as a UFA. They need the cap space and to target defensive defenseman who are reliable in their own end.

I don't see many teams lining up to trade for him. Everybody knows his stats are pumped up due to the team he plays for and his defense play is average at best. If he played on the Habs, he would have a hard time getting 30 pts.

I think he's guessing there, but it's not an unreasonable guess. Gardiner makes 4.05 million per now, and he should have another 50+ point season this year. An offensive D-Man like that will command 6 million on the open market for sure, I bet.

Overpriced, but that seems to be the going rate for guys like him.

Time for someone else to take him.

mething small for an unsigned Nylander would be stupid.

Good post.

He'll probably get too much for what he is, but he would fit in nicely as a 2nd pairing dman on a good number of teams.

Jake Gardiner is top 10 in ES points over the last few seasons. He's gonna get paid and if a GM gets him for only 6 they won't be a sucker.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Sure, but who the hell would want him? He's not great.

Watch other teams defenders, and you will very quickly notice he is much much better than Leafs fans make him out to be. Every team in the league would love to have a Jake Gardiner type on their team. Especially teams like Detroit, he would be light years ahead of everyone on our blueline and their are other teams like ours as well.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
After he signs or gets traded to another team HF will claim he is a very good top 4 D

See Kessel, Phil

Reactions: marty111

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Good post.

I'm always confused by the rather meaningless "ranking of Dman" pairings. Babcock tries to avoid putting Gardiner on PK, So Gardiner plays the PP, and even strength minutes. Agree with you he'll be overpaid by some team (the nature of UFA) but geez, he hasn't really developed and he should be at this peak right now.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Watch other teams defenders, and you will very quickly notice he is much much better than Leafs fans make him out to be. Every team in the league would love to have a Jake Gardiner type on their team. Especially teams like Detroit, he would be light years ahead of everyone on our blueline and their are other teams like ours as well.

Great. He's going to need a new 6-7 million dollar a year, long term contract, tho.

Make us an offer.

:)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hope it's the Leafs that re-sign him for $6M... if you don't think they won't be suckers.

Speaking as a Leaf fan, if a 6x6 extension were announced today I would be absolutely thrilled. Gardiner is a very good hockey player and I hope he's a Maple Leafs for many more years.

Reactions: Clark34

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Nylander ultimately will have to come first as that will dictate what Tor does from there. Also whether it is a the right call or not may be different from what Tor is going to do.

I think it would be difficult to find a trade that fills Tors needs, makes sense for both sides and doesn't hurt Tors chances to win this year.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I've been saying for a few years now that the Leafs would be better without JVR and Gardiner, despite their offensive production because of their defensive shortcomings. Addition by subtraction.

The narrative that Gardiner "had a bad game 7" and is vilified for that but is otherwise a steady blue liner is absolute nonsense.

He has a ten cent head, has always had a ten cent head, plays a soft game and is prone to idiotic decisions on an alarmingly regular basis and moreso than any other player I've seen in recent years set up his teammates to be hit or stripped of the puck by making suicide passes at a high rate. He's also prone to a maddening hiccup where he chips the puck away in his own zone, essentially making a four foot pass to nobody at all, simply turning the puck over to open ice.

The production lost by trading Gardiner is, first of all, not needed in the first place, but any half-way decent puck moving defensemen logging the minutes that Gardiner got with the offensive weapons the Maple Leafs have would be able to rack up 40+ points pretty damn easily, so I don't think losing the production of Gardiner is any issue whatsoever. However, getting a more capable defensive player - and that really wouldn't be too difficult to find - would make the Leafs a better team and make them tougher to play against.

I have said for a few years now that the Leafs will never win anything with Jake Gardiner playing the kind of minutes he does. They would be wise to flip him now and get something - anything - rather than fizzle out in the playoffs and watch him walk away for nothing.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I've been saying for a few years now that the Leafs would be better without JVR and Gardiner, despite their offensive production because of their defensive shortcomings. Addition by subtraction.

The narrative that Gardiner "had a bad game 7" and is vilified for that but is otherwise a steady blue liner is absolute nonsense.

He has a ten cent head, has always had a ten cent head, plays a soft game and is prone to idiotic decisions on an alarmingly regular basis and moreso than any other player I've seen in recent years set up his teammates to be hit or stripped of the puck by making suicide passes at a high rate. He's also prone to a maddening hiccup where he chips the puck away in his own zone, essentially making a four foot pass to nobody at all, simply turning the puck over to open ice.

The production lost by trading Gardiner is, first of all, not needed in the first place, but any half-way decent puck moving defensemen logging the minutes that Gardiner got with the offensive weapons the Maple Leafs have would be able to rack up 40+ points pretty damn easily, so I don't think losing the production of Gardiner is any issue whatsoever. However, getting a more capable defensive player - and that really wouldn't be too difficult to find - would make the Leafs a better team and make them tougher to play against.

I have said for a few years now that the Leafs will never win anything with Jake Gardiner playing the kind of minutes he does. They would be wise to flip him now and get something - anything - rather than fizzle out in the playoffs and watch him walk away for nothing.

the defense next year without him will be worse

Rielly - x
dermott - zaitsev
x - x

That's the under contract guys who will be stalwarts next season. Sandin is too young and Lijegren at most will be sheltered as a 3rd pairing guy. That leaves a massive hole in the top 4 minutes assuming hainsey is gone

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

Rielly - x
dermott - zaitsev
x - x

That's the under contract guys who will be stalwarts next season. Sandin is too young and Lijegren at most will be sheltered as a 3rd pairing guy. That leaves a massive hole in the top 4 minutes assuming hainsey is gone

So there's no other defencemen in the NHL that could possibly take a few of those spots? None at all? Wow, that's unlucky.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Rielly - x
dermott - zaitsev
x - x

You realize he's unrestricted free agent right? He's gone next year either way.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I have a feeling Toronto just holds on to him and if he wants more money than they can afford on his next deal, then they will let him walk. It is what happens that way with good teams. I think that is because they feel that they are getting more value from his contributions this season towards a playoff run while they would likely have to settle for future picks for a return. That could help them in a few years but Gardiner being there this year would help them this year. This year is far more important that 4-5 years down the road right now.

Trading a guy who could help your team win in the playoffs for picks or prospects while the team is on the verge of being a contender really seems like it is grounds to fire the GM.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Trading a guy who could help your team win in the playoffs for picks or prospects while the team is on the verge of being a contender really seems like it is grounds to fire the GM.

Um........I wonder if you wouldn't mind saying that part again?

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
So there's no other defencemen in the NHL that could possibly take a few of those spots? None at all? Wow, that's unlucky.

After Karlsson and Gardiner the UFA d class is pretty meh.

And to who ever said they hope the leafs sign him to a 6x6, I do too, would be a real solid contract for a valuable piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad