Proposal: Gardiner for Myers, 2nd rd pick

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Both Gardiner & Myers will be free agents at the end of the year. Jets make this trade as they are stacked on the right side with Trouba & Buff... They add another puck moving D with Gardiner...

The Leafs make this trade to have Myers play on Riellys right side. Dermott can move up to replace Gardiner..

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Myers loves Winnipeg and the team and management have been very good to him.

I would rather keep him because he is a known commodity.

and because I think he will sign for less than his market value on next contract because of his loyalty

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
because Meyers loves Winnipeg and the team and management have been very good to him.

I would rather keep him because he is a known commodity.

and because I think he will sign for less than his market value on next contract because of his loyalty
I agree. Trouba is more likely to get traded at the deadline, versus Myers, and then replace him with either Poolman, Niku, or Stanley and see what they get for Trouba. Probably going to take their medicine with the Laine deal and cobble the defence for a bit and see who makes it from one of those 3.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Both Gardiner & Myers will be free agents at the end of the year. Jets make this trade as they are stacked on the right side with Trouba & Buff... They add another puck moving D with Gardiner...

The Leafs make this trade to have Myers play on Riellys right side. Dermott can move up to replace Gardiner..

not sure why Jets add a 2nd

Reactions: Skipee

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't think this trade makes sense for the Jets.
I'm under the impression that Myers is going to resign and then the Jets are also going to somehow find a way to resign all of their other youngsters and maybe trade Trouba. Assuming Trouba thinks that he's going to get a billion dollars from someone I see him as the only one of their top -4 capable d-men that could be targeted for a trade.

Too bad, too. If Edmonton had the cap space I'd love to get Myers in the off-season and I'm sure 27+ other teams out there would like to as well.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs aren't trading Gardiner for Myers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Man this thread is painful.

I can't see what purpose this trade would fulfill for the Leafs other than getting a 2nd.

Oh about that, if I'm Winnipeg why would I add a 2nd to Myers to get Gardiner. Seems like a waste of an asset.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Man this thread is painful.

I can't see what purpose this trade would fulfill for the Leafs other than getting a 2nd.

Oh about that, if I'm Winnipeg why would I add a 2nd to Myers to get Gardiner. Seems like a waste of an asset.

Doesn't make sense either way. We'd be up shits creek if we lose Myers on the right side before we find out what's going on with Trouba's future as a Jet and I'm not even a Myers fan, but we'd be stuck with an aging Buff on the right and then... Poolman?

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Doesn't make sense either way. We'd be up ****s creek if we lose Myers on the right side before we find out what's going on with Trouba's future as a Jet and I'm not even a Myers fan, but we'd be stuck with an aging Buff on the right and then... Poolman?

Agreed. For the Leafs, Gardiner knows our system. He runs our second line. I'd much rather give Dermott another sheltered year. Again I also don't think Winnipeg would add a 2nd so this is basically a Myers for Gardiner swap and that doesn't really make the Leafs any better.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

Why would the Jets add a 2nd, if they are not getting an upgrade in player?

Jets say take a hike.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017

IMO the Jets are only stacked on the right side with Trouba for this season. Next year he's probably gone. That will make them a lot thinner.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Laughable honestly. And this has nothing to do with the Jets, I've hated Myers (and my post history can prove this) forever. I've always called him a better skating Cody Franson. He's injury prone (and no, one healthy year in his career last year doesn't mean anything) and he isn't any better defensively than Gardiner and is MUCH worse offensively.

2nd round pick means nothing. I am also still hoping the kids get sorted and Gardiner decides to take a Shattenkirk discount (was going for 7.5 takes a mil less to play where he wants) and stays on at just about his current salary with a slight raise. It would give the Leafs one tough year and then they would instantly get over 10M in cap space and could add another top 4 RD.

So no, no interest at all in Myers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Neither team can afford Gardiner / Myers next season unless they trade a core player like Nylander / Trouba. So this trade would likely be rental for rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad