Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I assume you're the Julii? What happened to the Scipio? I've played Rome so many times - it's probably my most played game, all time, but I had it pre-steam & on 2 different steam accounts so I have no idea what the total time played is. I wish I had it tracked.

Also, that new Rome 2 empire divided update broke my game; I had a world conquest save that I was in the middle of but because I had mods installed, it's borked the save file. So frustrating that it just changed the game and wasn't released as a "separate" game or anything. I heard you can opt into patch 17 to "go back" to before that release but when I did that, the game will not launch. I get to the opening load screen and it just loads forever. So frustrating. May need to re-install rome 1...

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I assume you're the Julii? What happened to the Scipio? I've played Rome so many times - it's probably my most played game, all time, but I had it pre-steam & on 2 different steam accounts so I have no idea what the total time played is. I wish I had it tracked.

Also, that new Rome 2 empire divided update broke my game; I had a world conquest save that I was in the middle of but because I had mods installed, it's borked the save file. So frustrating that it just changed the game and wasn't released as a "separate" game or anything. I heard you can opt into patch 17 to "go back" to before that release but when I did that, the game will not launch. I get to the opening load screen and it just loads forever. So frustrating. May need to re-install rome 1...

I am the Julii yes. Scipio are still kicking, I just always rush Carthage and basically prevented them from expanding past their starting 2 regions.

As the Julii you could take your faction leader's army sail to Sardinia and take it in 1 turn since no walls. Then sail that army to sicily and take out Lilybaeum (Carthage city in sicily) then take out the city of Carthage and they are basically done for after that. They usually have a city barracks there as well so you can just retrain your entire army there before contiuning along with conquering the rest of Carthage and Numidia. I had all of West Africa before I even invaded Gaul, taking Africa gives a great economic base while also helps you be able to try and spark the civil war earlier due to having more land than the other roman families pretty early on( I didnt even know I was able to betray the other romans yet and probably could have a while ago had I checked.)

I wouldnt be shocked if my all time hours are well above 1000 (especially if mods count) for RTW2 though I dont even think I have 100 hours yet. Never liked the drastic changes especially in regards to settlements being so limited, not a fan of the limit to armies and only a few cities having walls.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Haha, I like the strategy. I used to play the Brutii a lot but once you have Greece & Macedonia you're almost too wealthy and the steamroll begins early. I liked playing as the Scipii second and Julii third. Weirdest part? It was because I liked saving Gaul/barbarians for end game for some reason... they are my favorite people to fight in the old game.

I tried other factions like the Selucids and greeks but I could never get into the campaigns like I could with the Roman factions.

I ended up falling in love with the second one last year when I gave it a real shot but now that it won't work for me, I guess I'll have to move on. Going to try Warhammer TW next; got the first one on steam sale around Thanskgiving. Or Shogun 2, which i've heard people say is the best overall (I'm partial for Rome 1 or Medieval 2 though).

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I always wanted to try and save the Selucids since Egypt always has all of the middle east by like 200bc. In my games Britain usually become a power taking over the Germans and Dacians until either I take them out or the Romans get to them. I just wish I wasnt stuck on a mac for right now so I could go back to playing XGM and mods for medieval 2, but im stuck waiting for now.

Greek factions can be fun but the fact that its so easy to just turtle and win battles with the Phalanx kills some of the fun in base game rome.

I really want to play Stainless Steel again for Medieval 2 since being the Templars was always so fun in that. As I said earlier for Rome 2 I just hate how limited settlements are, the collision system being weird (still better than Empire though), and just not being able to get attached and RP a bit with certain charcters and having a family tree. Maybe I will give it another try eventually but I'll always hold Rome 1 and Medieval 2 in higher regard especially with mods like XGM and SS that make the map much bigger along with adding new countries and units.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Stainless Steel was the last mod I did on my old PC for Medieval 2 and it was such a great change...

Well, now I know what I'm going to do to scratch the Total War itch: Reinstall Stainless Steel on the new PC and finish my world conquest.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Grabbed Star Wars Galaxies from a sale on steam for $7. Didn't play it back in the day, but looks like fun and I love sandbox modes like the Galactic Conquest it has. I went through some tutorials last night and I'll be playing it heavily this week.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Haven't played it yet, but watched a few streams of the recently released early access game Stationeers. Looks like a doozy of a space construction simulator.

edit: cute, didn't know the forum turns Steam store HTTP links into visual links.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Went on a game shopping binge just before Christmas. Picked up a PS4 Pro to replace my aging day 1 model PS4. Came with Battlefront II and FIFA 18 but those I won't touch for a while. I just finished the Stick of Truth and I am getting ready to start The Fractured But Whole. Also nabbed Horizon Zero Dawn, World of Final Fantasy and a Nintendo Switch with Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey.

Started Breath of the Wild and already I am loving this game. The game play feels very fluid. I really like how the game looks and it is also a lot of fun.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I bought Sleeping Dogs for $4 from the PSN sale for PS3. Also bought the cheap Humble Bundle from earlier in the year that came with Mafia II, Borderlands 2, Bioshock 2, Spec Ops, and XCom for PS3.

The problem is that I have all these games on my download list and I actually want to play them along with a Metal Gear Revengeance I found for cheap on eBay but I'm stuck on playing PES 2017. I literally haven't played anything else since the summer lol I just keep putting this same game back on whenever I turn on the PS3.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
picked up ghost recon wildlands for ps4. amazon had it down to 24$ cnd so I decided I was comfortable trying it at that price. I have to say I have been pretty impressed so far but I may have to turn the difficulty up a bit more to make it more challenging. the only thing that I do not enjoy is that it is hard to direct your team during a firefight. I think it would be very fun to play online though but I want to finish the single player campaign first.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Picked up Okami HD and it's the best Zelda game that's come out this year.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Total war: Warhammer (1). Took me a couple of false starts to figure out what the heck I'm doing with it, and this is as a true total war veteran (played probably 3000+ hrs total between Rome 1 through today) but now that I know what I'm doing, I'm loving it. I also grabbed a few workshop mods that helped greatly (additional mid level units for Empire, Conquer anywhere). May try again without Conquer anywhere to see the intent behind that design decision now that I finally understand the building & unit trees.

Also found out that if I buy Warhammer II, there is a mod that combines both maps to have the largest total war map ever... really excited to try that. I've told myself I'll knock out one back log game before I add another monster hour eater to the list but that is so tempting...

Also have about 15 other games "in process" that I hope to finish one day... and finally fixed my Rome II Total War after their newest update. It's too bad I have a job or I could really put a dent in that back log haha.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
How are you liking it? I need to beat BOTW (haven't even really dented it yet) but Super Mario Odyssey is definitely up next for me.

I've enjoyed it. There are definitely some frustrating moments, and I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it's a very fun game with mostly solid controls, a good sense of humor, pretty visuals, nice throwbacks and surprises, and a whole lot of nostalgic moments if you've played a bunch of Mario games in the past. Would definitely recommend. And I keep coming back to want to get more moons and unlock more things, so certainly can't complain.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Diablo 3 w/ necromancer expansion since it was 50% off on the Xbox store.
I haven't played the game since it launched on PC. They have changed SO much, it's impressive. Even cut scenes and the dialogue and writing has been changed (for the better). This is much more enjoyable than I previously remember it. It's also surprising how good of a job they have done porting it to consoles, the control and inventory schemes are very simple and work wonderfully. Very impressed with it so far.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime.

Great little co-op game.

Also Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links because reasons.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Started Horizon Zero Dawn last night. Big mistake. Didn't want to put it down. Luckily our offices are closing early for the national championship game today so I will have some time to go home and play as well as a three day weekend next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->