Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm trying to play Call of Duty: Black Ops and am dumbfounded at how this is one of the best-selling games of all time. It's everything that's wrong with gaming, IMO. It's hardly even a game. It's more of a slightly interactive movie. Like every COD, all that you do is play Follow the Leader (a leader who barks everything at the top of his lungs) and do everything that he tells you to do: follow him, stop when he stops and then charge ahead like an imbecile with a death wish unless you want the enemies to keep re-spawning until you run out of ammo. The whole "game" is on rails, heavily scripted to ensure that every player has exactly the same experience. The combat isn't even fun. It feels like filler until Treyarch can show you another scripted event, cutscene or movie that they put all of their time into. I'm fully aware that this is what COD is all about, but I still managed to find some enjoyment in earlier entries. This feels like the moment when the franchise really jumped the shark... and it's only 2010. I'm afraid to try any in the franchise that came after it.

Phew. It feels good to get that rant out of my system.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I think the second Black Ops game did a few different things to bring forth multiple endings and the like, but COD definitely kept getting more and more scripted as time went on. BO3 might be the exception, though I felt that one felt like a poor imitation of better sci-fi shooters and COD.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Bought Subnautica about a year ago and still waiting until it exits early access before I start playing. Supposedly only 6 weeks away now for the official 1.0 release.

And Subnautica pushed out to January 2018. One of these days I'll get to play.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I caved and bought Pyre despite the backlog.

Loving it so far. Very beautiful, very unique game.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Played a bit of Kingdom: New Lands from the latest humble bundle.

Interesting simple builder game. Maybe a bit too simple. Certainly not easy though.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
South Park The Fractured But Whole.

After I am done with that game I am going to move onto .hack//GU Last Recode which just came in the mail yesterday.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Who buys CoD for the single player? The first two Modern Warfares and Black Ops were fantastic multiplayer experiences when console multiplayer was first taking off.

Anyway, OT, I fired up Diablo 3 again with the new patch. Lots of grinding for buffed weapons I already have.

Oh, and after 900+ paragon, I finally got my first Primal Ancient. Good times.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Who buys CoD for the single player? The first two Modern Warfares and Black Ops were fantastic multiplayer experiences when console multiplayer was first taking off.

Anyway, OT, I fired up Diablo 3 again with the new patch. Lots of grinding for buffed weapons I already have.

Oh, and after 900+ paragon, I finally got my first Primal Ancient. Good times.

......................................I do? :(

To be fair, I also usually get them when they are on sale or something. Not paying $70 for a 4 hour experience. Except for Infinite Warfare. f***ing spaceships get me every goddamn time.

New game: Bomber Crew. Amusing little game where you manage a bomber crew during WWII. Pretty darn hard.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Spending more than I thought I would so far lately. Ugh. Lots of games im getting some time here and there to play.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
......................................I do? :(

To be fair, I also usually get them when they are on sale or something. Not paying $70 for a 4 hour experience. Except for Infinite Warfare. ****ing spaceships get me every goddamn time.

New game: Bomber Crew. Amusing little game where you manage a bomber crew during WWII. Pretty darn hard.

I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong for valuing a single player experience, but the entire replay value and selling point of those CoD games has always been multiplayer.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Getting back into games with a more relaxed work schedule leading into summer.

Currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn. It's quite nice, definitely one of the very few big open world games I've clicked with.

Speaking of Horizons... can anyone recommend a racing game on PS4 that's somewhere in between a sim and arcade? I miss Forza Horizon 3 way too much.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
About 13 hours into Wolfenstein and I love how semi-open the game is at this point. It lets you go do side missions and whatnot from a hub area, but still has a main story line. Also, the cutscenes just keep getting better and better.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Back into Rocket League. Hard. Yet again.

I'm pretty sure the amount of enjoyment I get out of that game is unhealthy.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Bought the Mount and Blade games. Went through four hours in the first one, and oh my goodness where has this game been all my life.

Looked it up and apparently Warbands is a better version than the original game in every way, so I am going to just restart and try a campaign on there. But this could be the first 100+ hour game I have played since TW3.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Middle Earth: Shadow of War and Nioh. Calling Nioh "Dark Souls with more action" is very accurate. Nothing wrong with that, though. Already got a ton of deaths racked up and I'm ready for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad