Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Playing Celeste and really enjoying it. Only a couple chapters into the game, but it might be the tightest platformer I've played for as long as I can remember. Music is great, storyline is intriguing, and the level design is great so far. Definitely excited to see where the story goes and how it ends. I'm not placing a huge emphasis on the strawberries, but I've tried to get most of the ones that I see (went 11/18 on Chapter 3).

Also still playing Dead Cells. It's still enjoyable and fun, but it's better in small doses as it can get repetitive after a couple of runs. I've gotten to the second last level, so I think I'm getting pretty close to finishing it.

Tried to get into Subnautica, but for some reason it didn't hook me in right away. I think it's the type of game you need to set aside a lot of time for to get truly invested.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Tried to get into Subnautica, but for some reason it didn't hook me in right away. I think it's the type of game you need to set aside a lot of time for to get truly invested.

Compared to the platformers that you named, that's true, but it's not as much of a time sink as, say, No Man's Sky or a Fallout game (I'd call it a 25-30 hour game, as opposed to a 40-50 hour game). What may be your issue, and it was mine, is that it takes several hours to figure out the mechanics. The game doesn't hold your hand, give you a survival manual or even have a tutorial. It doesn't even help you make the basics, including water and food. For the first few hours, the game makes you feel lost and helpless, forced to subsist on canned food and bottled water that you're lucky to find and that you know will run out very soon. Once you figure out which natural resources can be used for what and you can make any of the basics that you need, though, you feel a jolt of confidence, like you can do anything. That and the ability to really start exploring the world is when the investment starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
MH:W

chip away at the monster until it runs away. run around the map to catch it. chip away until it runs away again. rinse and repeat until it dies. so f***ing boring jesus. and you'd think there would be a good amount of loot and customization since this game is all about the grind, but nope, less customization than a game like dark souls.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Started up The Messenger.

Really liking it so far, especially for a "free" game from Twitch.

I'm pretty bad, so Quarble makes fun of me a lot. :laugh:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Warframe is my main atm.

Also playing through Hitman 2 finally, and R6 Siege when my brother feels like it lol

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Warframe is my main atm.

Also playing through Hitman 2 finally, and R6 Siege when my brother feels like it lol

I put so many f***ing hours into that game and while I don't think I'm burnt out, I just don't want to go back for a while. I've played it once in the last few months.

Almost 800 hours on Steam.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I put so many ****ing hours into that game and while I don't think I'm burnt out, I just don't want to go back for a while. I've played it once in the last few months.

Almost 800 hours on Steam.

Warframe? im 600 deep. started in June, got burned out cause I was playing sooooo much, took a month off just before Fortuna came out. back in it now tho and still enjoying alot

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
How do you put 600 hours into a game in 8 months

I've put 280 into GT Sport since last January and I thought I was overdoing it

Reactions: CPTN71

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Can finally beat Into The Breach on Hard Mode with regular consistency. Got most of the achievements/unlocked most of the squads using the base squad. Haven't gotten used to using any of the others yet.

Best time for an Any % Celeste run is 49 minutes now. Running through this thing is still a blast that I'll regularly attempt.

Also tried Gris, and I'm not too impressed to be honest. It's like a poor man's Journey (which I found amazing) that visually looks very pretty and tasteful, but it kind of feels more like an overbearing emo try-hard's idea of art than anything genuinely beautiful/timeless. Also falls into the trap of pretty, painterly visuals that don't give clear, satisfying, and intuitive feedback.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Can finally beat Into The Breach on Hard Mode with regular consistency. Got most of the achievements/unlocked most of the squads using the base squad. Haven't gotten used to using any of the others yet.

You still have a whole 'nother layer of the game to peel away. The other squads all play very differently from the starting squad. Each requires a whole new set of strategies and comes with the fresh challenge of figuring out which those are. It can be humbling when you've mastered the game with the starting squad and then feel like a noob all over again with a new squad.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You still have a whole 'nother layer of the game to peel away. The other squads all play very differently from the starting squad. Each requires a whole new set of strategies and comes with the fresh challenge of figuring out which those are. It can be humbling when you've mastered the game with the starting squad and then feel like a noob all over again with a new squad.
Yeah, I've sampled them, but I haven't really figured out the general strategies for using them effectively yet.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I've got two things on the go for the next few weeks.

- Just got a Switch Pro Controller and going to play Breath of the Wild Mastermode + DLC (finished the regular mode about a year ago)
- Picked up a copy of Dragons Dogma for the PS4. Love those type of games, so I'm sure I'll be losing some hours to this game.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Diablo 3, believe it or not I only started playing it about a month ago. I got a new laptop and some buddies who have been playing since it came out and who I use to play D1 and D2 with pushed me to get it. Liking it more than I thought I would. Some good, some bad compared to D2 but I can't complain when I get D3, the expansion and the necromancer add on for $40.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Tales of Vesperia. No way I am going to finish it before RE2 comes out :cry:

Will have to put that on hold for another week once I get it or try and juggle both.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I played a bit of God Hand (PS2 classic on PS3)....WTF lmao. It's so bad and so satisfying at the same time.

Tales of Vesperia. No way I am going to finish it before RE2 comes out :cry:

Will have to put that on hold for another week once I get it or try and juggle both.

Just bought my first JRPG, Tales of Xillia, hope it's not too weeby. The focus seems to be more on combat based on the videos so I look forward to getting it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just bought my first JRPG, Tales of Xillia, hope it's not too weeby. The focus seems to be more on combat based on the videos so I look forward to getting it.

Tales of... games tend to be anime as ****. Tales of Vesperia is one that sort of bucks the trend a little and it is by far the best game in the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad