Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was wondering the same thing in my first few hours in the game. After probably 5 hours in, I fell in love with the game. I don't think I would have ever played 2 or 3 if I didn't stick with 1 and as a result, with it being my favorite RPG series of all time, I always give games a fair chance before just giving up because I didn't like the first hour.

It's important to do that with RPGs because they often have linear prologues/tutorials that can last hours. You need to push through them until the game finally opens up and lets you see what it's really all about. I'll give RPGs a lot longer to warm me up to them than I'll give any other genre. In general, the bigger and more open the world, the longer that it takes to see enough of it to get a good feel for the game.

I finished up Vampyr and went to start the original Dead Space. I got 10 minutes in until I faced a game breaking bug that people report on Steam but the fixes listed don't work for me. I can't go through one of the first doors in the game lol. Oh well. I would've loved to have given it a shot...

I read about that bug when I started Dead Space a year ago. I must not have experienced it because I got at least 30 minutes into the game. I gave up, though, because I just can't do over-the-shoulder views. Those are so foreign to PC-only gamers like me. Shooters should be first person, IMO, since that's the only way that you can properly aim without the game assisting you. Aim assist is evil. It's also annoying to me when so much of my view is blocked by my character's backside. Anyways, maybe you're a lot more tolerant than I am, but, from my perspective, you're not missing much. After giving up on that, I moved on to trying Dead Island (since it was right next to Dead Space in my backlog), which I enjoyed much, much more, if you could use a recommendation.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I read about that bug when I started Dead Space a year ago. I must not have experienced it because I got at least 30 minutes into the game. I gave up, though, because I just can't do over-the-shoulder views. Those are so foreign to PC-only gamers like me. Shooters should be first person, IMO, since that's the only way that you can properly aim without the game assisting you. Aim assist is evil. It's also annoying to me when so much of my view is blocked by my character's backside. Anyways, maybe you're a lot more tolerant than I am, but, from my perspective, you're not missing much. After giving up on that, I moved on to trying Dead Island (since it was right next to Dead Space in my backlog), which I enjoyed much, much more, if you could use a recommendation.
I hated the camera angle too. Even the movement felt super clunky to me. I don't think I'm missing too much since the controls felt so damn awkward in what little I played but I've heard such good things from a lot of people. But agreed, I can't stand aim assist, it's so bad. Oh well, not sure what I'll start next quite yet. I'm still playing Ruiner which is pretty cool. It's not as good as I thought it would be but it's fun enough that I'll finish it soon enough.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just finished the Zombie Island of Dr. Ned DLC for Borderlands. That was a good 5- to 6-hour-long DLC in a 100% new and interesting area. That was DLC done right.

I hated the camera angle too. Even the movement felt super clunky to me. I don't think I'm missing too much since the controls felt so damn awkward in what little I played but I've heard such good things from a lot of people. But agreed, I can't stand aim assist, it's so bad. Oh well, not sure what I'll start next quite yet. I'm still playing Ruiner which is pretty cool. It's not as good as I thought it would be but it's fun enough that I'll finish it soon enough.

I forgot about the awkward controls. That's another reason that I gave up on it quickly. It was clearly designed for controllers and was poorly ported to mouse and keyboard. Dark Souls is another port that I tried recently that was so bad that I gave up on it. It's too bad, because you hear very good things about some of these games, but I'm just not going to bother if I have to fight the game.

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007
Third person doesn't inherently require aim assist. Why would the rendering a full character model make a game require aim assist? Console games (and their ports) usually include it because sticks are less precise than mice and 3rd person shooters are more common as console games, but 1st person console games have it too. I'm not sure I've every played a game that didn't allow you to turn aim assist off if it has it, that would have to be the laziest of ports. I don't think Dead Space even has aim assist anyway, since severing limbs is a big part of the gameplay aim assist wouldn't make much sense. That's probably part of the reason the aiming is a bit slower.

The controls are definitely tanky, but it kind of plays into the semi-survival horror atmosphere in which you are an engineer in a heavy engineering suit. The aiming is definitely slow and your movement, especially turning, can feel dangerously slow sometimes. It's a great game though.

I've actually been on a 3rd person shooter kick and grabbed Vanquish (which I had on PS3 years ago) and Binary Domain on the Steam sale. If you want a 3rd person shooter with some great controls Vanquish is a lot of fun, although really short. If you want very clunky controls BD has you covered.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
You can be just as accurate in a third person shooter with a KB/Mouse you just have to sort of mentally ignore the character model.
Dead Space being over the shoulder a little tougher since your character takes up a lot of the screen. Behind the back (usually with a slight above angle) third person was pretty great in C&C Renegade.

I'm not sure if it's still a problem but in the release version of Dead Space it had this super janky mouse movement you couldn't get rid of without forcing vsync on via driver. Like FootKnight said, it's really a horrible port :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Third person doesn't inherently require aim assist. Why would the rendering a full character model make a game require aim assist?

It doesn't require what we think of as aim assist, no, but the game still has to make calculations to account for the player's view being different than the character's view. I believe that those calculations favor the player by effectively making the enemy hit boxes slightly larger. Regardless, you're just never totally sure where your shot is going, since you're not looking down the barrel of the gun. I suppose that many just get used to it, but I don't think that I could.

I'm not sure if it's still a problem but in the release version of Dead Space it had this super janky mouse movement you couldn't get rid of without forcing vsync on via driver. Like FootKnight said, it's really a horrible port :laugh:

It's still a problem. I played it just last year. Like you suggested, the mouse movement is linked to the framerate, and I think that the framerate is capped (probably at 30fps), so the mouse movement is really sluggish, too... or something like that. With a few tweaks (like messing with vsync, as you said), you can make it a little better, but hardly good enough.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Third person doesn't inherently require aim assist. Why would the rendering a full character model make a game require aim assist? Console games (and their ports) usually include it because sticks are less precise than mice and 3rd person shooters are more common as console games, but 1st person console games have it too. I'm not sure I've every played a game that didn't allow you to turn aim assist off if it has it, that would have to be the laziest of ports. I don't think Dead Space even has aim assist anyway, since severing limbs is a big part of the gameplay aim assist wouldn't make much sense. That's probably part of the reason the aiming is a bit slower.

The controls are definitely tanky, but it kind of plays into the semi-survival horror atmosphere in which you are an engineer in a heavy engineering suit. The aiming is definitely slow and your movement, especially turning, can feel dangerously slow sometimes. It's a great game though.

I've actually been on a 3rd person shooter kick and grabbed Vanquish (which I had on PS3 years ago) and Binary Domain on the Steam sale. If you want a 3rd person shooter with some great controls Vanquish is a lot of fun, although really short. If you want very clunky controls BD has you covered.
I played Binary Domain years ago. The controls were pretty clunky, like any cover based third person shooter, but I feel like the game is still really underrated. The story was really cool and I loved going through it. Shame nobody talks about it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I hadn't played any of the games in the Divinity series (ex. Divinity: Original Sin), so I decided to start with 2002's Divine Divinity, the very first in the series. I've been playing it for the last few weeks and am about 25 hours in and halfway through, I reckon. The praise that I read on Steam is fully earned. This is a gem of an RPG.

It plays like a cross between Diablo and Ultima. There's a lot of non-party aRPG combat (like Diablo single player), but the world is huge and open, there's a deep story and there are all kinds of objects to interact with and books to read (like Ultima). A few reviewers called it a 2D Skyrim (though 2D Morrowind, given the year, is probably more appropriate), which is a bit of a stretch, but I can see why they call it that, since you play most of the game on one huge map that you're free to explore at all times (though some areas may be too tough for you still).

Something that very pleasantly stands out to me, compared to other RPGs, is the game's interactivity, especially for a 2002 game. A majority of objects can be clicked on and dragged to move them, sometimes revealing objects (like keys or levers) hidden behind them or to add them to your inventory. For example, all of the plates, food and decoration on a dinner table can be re-arranged or stolen. Come to think of that, that could be partly where the Skyrim comparison comes from. You can also drag mana potions onto healing potions (and vice versa) to create restoration (healing+mana) potions and drag enchantment runes on armor and weapons to enchant them (which is much easier than many other RPGs in which I never manage to figure out enchantment).

If there's anything that might be perceived as a weakness nowadays, it's that conversations with NPCs are a bit simplistic in comparison to some other RPGs, like Planescape: Torment (with its copious amounts of reading) and The Witcher (with its frequent player choices that affect the outcome of the game). In this game, you don't need to read everything and weigh your answers, since you can usually ask again and choose different answers. It's not bad; it's just that you could be disappointed if you have greater expectations.

Anyways, if you're into classic RPGs, I really recommend checking Divine Divinity out. It has a silly name (and maybe that contributed to it not getting so much attention at release), but it's a very good RPG that I'm glad that I decided to try out. I'll probably continue the series with Beyond Divinity and then Divinity II, meaning that it'll take longer to get to both Divinity: Original Sin games.

BTW, though it's not listed as such, the version on Steam is sort of an enhanced edition, since it supports high and widescreen resolutions and has been made compatible with Windows 7 (and later). There's a highly recommend fix to improve performance on Windows 8 and 10.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Anyways, if you're into isometric RPGs and, especially, if you enjoyed the Divinity: Original Sin games, I really recommend that you check Divine Divinity out. It has a silly name (and maybe that contributed to it not getting so much attention at release), but it's a gem of an RPG that I'm very glad that I decided to try out. I'll probably continue the series with Beyond Divinity and then Divinity II, meaning that it'll take longer to get to both Divinity: Original Sin games.
Beyond Divinity is baaaaaaad. Divinity II is a pretty big departure from the Diablo-like gameplay (a bit more Elder Scrolls-ish?), but isn't all bad. I think there was also a spin-off called Dragon Commander or some shit? I never played it but heard crappy things.

I'm playing Underrail right now. It's an old school, 2-D game that at first plush looks like a Fallout clone. The character system is up there with Wizardry 8 as just hands down the best I've ever played. Story wise it's... meh, but it creates a good atmosphere and there is such variety in builds (and how they play) and how to approach situations that I almost want to call it "what if Deus Ex was a turn-based RPG". Highly recommend.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Beyond Divinity is baaaaaaad. Divinity II is a pretty big departure from the Diablo-like gameplay (a bit more Elder Scrolls-ish?), but isn't all bad. I think there was also a spin-off called Dragon Commander or some ****? I never played it but heard crappy things.

Thanks for the warning. It sounds like Beyond Divinity's major problem is bugs, so maybe I'll get lucky, but I'll temper expectations. I certainly don't mind if Divinity II is less Diablo and more Ultima/Elder Scrolls, since I prefer the latter, anyways.

As for Dragon Commander, I actually read lots of good things about it, enough to try it out (so I guess it's not technically true that I had never played a Divinity game before). It's much more of an RTS, where you command your troops on the battlefield and can, at any time, jump onto the back of a dragon and join your troops in battle. In that way, it's half RTS and half action game. It's pretty unique and creative as RTSes go, but it's easy to see why it might've disappointed some Divinity fans.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Dragon Commander isn't good as a competitive type RTS but as a single player game with some RTS and Strategy elements for a single playthrough it's decent to almost good.

I liked what I played of Div Div (15 hours or so) but the overhead not really iso view gives me a headache. Never played Beyond because everyone says what Macho says :laugh:.
Divinity II is just okay, Divinity II's Expansion "Flames of Vengeance" is great. It's usually bundled together now called "Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga". The expansion area is a clean break though and you'll know when it starts.

Speaking of Underrail, I liked it but it started to fall apart in upper Underrail and *REALLY* falls apart in the Deep Caverns.
I don't think it really did quest solutions better than Fallout though. It has a higher level of build viability/diversity but it's non-combat solutions are substantially less interesting and less frequent.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Dragon Commander isn't good as a competitive type RTS but as a single player game with some RTS and Strategy elements for a single playthrough it's decent to almost good.

I liked what I played of Div Div (15 hours or so) but the overhead not really iso view gives me a headache. Never played Beyond because everyone says what Macho says :laugh:.
Divinity II is just okay, Divinity II's Expansion "Flames of Vengeance" is great. It's usually bundled together now called "Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga". The expansion area is a clean break though and you'll know when it starts.

Speaking of Underrail, I liked it but it started to fall apart in upper Underrail and *REALLY* falls apart in the Deep Caverns.
I don't think it really did quest solutions better than Fallout though. It has a higher level of build viability/diversity but it's non-combat solutions are substantially less interesting and less frequent.
Fallout you can avoid (almost) all combat. Underrail is a combat oriented game. I should say you have numerous approaches to encounters rather than numerous ways to solve. Personally that's more interesting.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Dove back into Warframe. Started playing it on my PS4 back when the system launched but moved on once some other games came out. Downloaded it last week on my PC and so much has changed for the better and the great things are still great. I just love this f***ing game. It’s grindy as hell, but it’s just my kind of game.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Playing through the Fatal Frame trilogy on ps2 again.

These games still give me the heebie jeebies 15 years later.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I picked up house of the dying sun on sale. I didn't get a ton of time to play it tonight, I mostly just set up my hotas with it, but it seems pretty awesome so far. I read it doesn't officially support hotas, so I was a little worried, but it detected it by name, and it was really easy to rebind the keys.

Prey is still eating my soul currently, and I'll probably end up finishing it before I play house of the dying sun in depth, but it'll be a good blow stuff up style change of pace if I need a break from Prey.

Dove back into Warframe. Started playing it on my PS4 back when the system launched but moved on once some other games came out. Downloaded it last week on my PC and so much has changed for the better and the great things are still great. I just love this ****ing game. It’s grindy as hell, but it’s just my kind of game.
I have a ton of hours in warframe. I need to jump back in at some point, but the last few times I've tried I've only played for like an hour. The last time I've played for any meaningful amount of time was around July 2014 according to Google. I remember I had just unlocked Loki Prime. I know they've added a lot, but from what little I played it seemed like more of the same.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I think we've discussed this before (getting deja vu :laugh:) but to me the RTS side was pretty bad. However, the overall strategy was a decent imitation of total war and the political side was frankly awesome. Dragon combat was pretty fun too.

Overall, a really enjoyable experience IMO.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
House of the dying sun is pretty great from what little I've played of it. I liked elite dangerous quite a bit, but the combat wasn't quite fast and arcadey enough for me at times, HOTDS fills that niche very nicely though. I'm still really enjoying Prey and guns of icarus.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Just about beat Bloodborne again and even though it's my favorite game overall, I have to say I see why I go back to ds3 more.

The quality of life stuff like not having to constantly go back to the hub and the more clear level design (Bloodborne is downright maze like at times) is a big bonus.

But the biggest issue for me is blood gems. A fully upgraded weapon will hit like wet paper without decent gems, and the only way to get those is to play the worst part of the game, chalice dungeons. I actually need 2 full combos to kill non hostile enemies with my +10 saw spear and +7 holy blade in upper cathedral ward because I haven't put decent gems on them. The rest of the main game is more than beatable without them however.

Also my biggest gripe weirdly. German for such an important character disappears for almost 60% of the game. He tells you after killing bloodstarved beast to go to upper cathedral ward, an essentially end game area and is more or less never seen again.

Edit: come to think of it, I may be doing something out of order for German not to show up. Which is kind of a flaw of souls games. Example, I beat ds3 4 times and never saw anri at firelink shrine until the 4th time playing it. Why? If you kill the abyss watchers before the Deacons of the Deep this sends her to irithyll (even though you can't get to irithyll without killing the Deacons first).

I have no trouble relaxing with ds3 and beating it in 3-4 hours without any speedrun strats and just enjoying myself, Bloodborne is unfortunately a bit more convoluted it terms of where you're going.

Edit: oh I almost forgot, if you get hit while quickstepping in Bloodborne, it's basically guaranteed to be a counter hit, which means you're going to be getting one shotted by a lot of attacks in this game. It makes me miss the block mechanic which for some reason I'm the only person to use in dark souls. Block-block- roll before the guard break makes pontiff and dancer actually somewhat easy bosses.

Anyways, I'm rambling.

Last edited:

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Blops 3 because it was free for PS+. First CoD game I've played since MW2. Oh my goodness it's terrible. How people compulsively buy this junk every year, I'll nevver know.

Just started Lost Sphear. I enjoyed Setsuna. It has the feel of the classic JPRG (obviously) but thus far it's been a tad slow.

Elite: Dangerous - been dipping in and out for a year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad