Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Mask of the Betrayer though. It's better than Tides.

Tides has its moments but it also has a lot of problems. If you think PST has a lot of reading, Tides is more book than game :laugh:
Ey, did you accidentally lock that "Game of the year 2000"-topic from comments? :p

Anyway, I'm working my way through NieR:Automata and Bloodborne right now. Taking my sweet time with both, especially with Bloodborne... losing the shield and being more aggressive is tough learning.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Mask of the Betrayer though. It's better than Tides.

I had to look that up. It's an expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2? I haven't even played the two base games. I may get around to the first eventually.

Tides has its moments but it also has a lot of problems. If you think PST has a lot of reading, Tides is more book than game :laugh:

How can a 2017 game have more reading than Planescape: Torment? I figured that one reason why it was received lukewarmly is that it had less reading and, therefore, lacked the same world building and dialogue choice as the original. I'm not looking forward to even more reading. Even PST had so much that I skipped or scanned much of it :laugh:.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I had to look that up. It's an expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2? I haven't even played the two base games. I may get around to the first eventually.

NWN1 is mostly not connected to 2, I wouldn't bother with it. The base game of 2 isn't all that great either though better than NWN1. Mask of the Betrayer though is special. I might actually prefer it to PST, though I waver depending on the day. It's good enough to be worth skipping the base game for. Every RPG fan should play it. I do think it works better if you play the base first, so you are familiar with the systems and such. But it's not strictly necessary.

TToN was a 2017 game but it was part of the kickstarter old school wave. It went too far in the game as a novel direction though :laugh:. It certainly has some dialog choice elements and decisions and all that. But it's VERY self serving in its prose in a lot of places. The game had some clear problems in development like lack of editors, time constraints, resource misallocation, and on and on. PST is practically punchy in comparison.

TToN has huge pacing problems, combat that's a great idea in concept but horribly executed in terms of quantity (too little) and they clearly ran out of time as most of the interesting combats are early. The Combat in Tides was originally supposed to be infrequent but massively important and solvable in many different ways not just smacking the other side. The first maybe 5-6 major combats pull this off (called Crises). The latter ones mostly don't.

I will say it's worth playing, though a lot of hard core PST fans disagree (I'm not actually one of those FWIW). Also you learn what to speed read and what not to. It's kinda like a Tom Clancy novel in that way :laugh:
The parts of Tides that are well written are interwoven with the bad parts though which makes it feel disjointed sometimes. It's not a game for long play sessions.

Ey, did you accidentally lock that "Game of the year 2000"-topic from comments? :p

Looks like it :dunce:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I liked NWN2 - it's a good investment.

While Mask of the Betrayer may have the best storyline, the base game as well as Storm of Zehir provides many hours of good D&D adventure. I wasn't as impressed with Mysteries of Westgate - it seemed sloppy and the graphics took a turn for the worse.

It does a good job of implementing the D&D game system.

MotB is pretty tricky in that it starts at a very high level so without having played the best game, you may have a bit of a learning curve.

Given the number of class levels you can take, it may be worth perusing this site to get an idea for character concepts:

Homepage | NWN2DB

There are a large number of user created modules and there are some sites out there that identify the best ones.

Last edited:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 (Currently DDD)
Overwatch
Heroes of the Storm
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Golf Story

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Overwatch
Tomb Raider (2013)
Halo: MCC - just beat the Halo 2 Anniversary campaign, mainly playing the multiplayer but will probably go back to play Halo 3 and ODST soon.
Titanfall 2

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
TToN was a 2017 game but it was part of the kickstarter old school wave. It went too far in the game as a novel direction though :laugh:. It certainly has some dialog choice elements and decisions and all that. But it's VERY self serving in its prose in a lot of places. The game had some clear problems in development like lack of editors, time constraints, resource misallocation, and on and on. PST is practically punchy in comparison.

TToN has huge pacing problems, combat that's a great idea in concept but horribly executed in terms of quantity (too little) and they clearly ran out of time as most of the interesting combats are early. The Combat in Tides was originally supposed to be infrequent but massively important and solvable in many different ways not just smacking the other side. The first maybe 5-6 major combats pull this off (called Crises). The latter ones mostly don't.

I will say it's worth playing, though a lot of hard core PST fans disagree (I'm not actually one of those FWIW). Also you learn what to speed read and what not to. It's kinda like a Tom Clancy novel in that way :laugh:
The parts of Tides that are well written are interwoven with the bad parts though which makes it feel disjointed sometimes. It's not a game for long play sessions.

I've given Torment: Tides of Numenera a try and I'm not a fan. It doesn't feel much like a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, outside of the walls of text. I understand that they don't have the license to use the actual names of places and characters, but the world still just seems too different. There's metal and machinery everywhere, there are rifles and pistols, the combat is turn-based and the mechanics and systems (skills, Effort, cyphers, etc.) are totally different. I don't necessarily mind any of those things, in general, but there's little that I recognize from PST.

It feels like someone wanted to make an RPG and came up with the idea of calling it a spiritual successor to a cult classic so that he could get enough crowdfunding to make it. Maybe that's harsh and it might be a good RPG, anyways, but it's not what I expected, which is something that I'd recognize and could get into somewhat quickly because I had just come from spending 30 hours playing PST. I may give it another chance some time, when I don't have expectations, but it doesn't seem worth my time right now when I have a large backlog of RPGs (some old, some new) that I want to get to and that I'm sure that I'll enjoy more.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
For a recent birthday treat I decided to buy Ride to Hell: Retribution and see if it's as bad as it's claimed. I've seen about two seconds of the first cutscene before I get a disc read error and can't continue, so I guess I'll never know.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
MLB: The Show '18
Cities: Skylines
Persona 5
Moonlighter
(Currently not taken out of the box yet but want to start) Nier: Automata

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Final Fantasy X HD Re-Master

Old School Runescape

NHL 18

Bottom two are pretty much constants. lol

Reactions: Gardner McKay

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
You know I'm behind the times when my most played game at the time is the original Borderlands on Steam. (Also, I'm trying to play Madden NFL 18, NBA Live 18, MLB 18 The Show, Final Fantasy XV, & Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 on PS4.)

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Grabbed Mass Effect, Andromeda today. It feels like a game made by a second studio doing their best to make a Mass Effect game, but I don't hate it. I just got to the tempest, but I'd say, if you loved those games, give it a shot. It is still very fun but we've lost the good writing & the cheap wins, ala finding Garrus in ME2. I loved those games, but the "hey, we're back" nostalgia masked a lot of hammy-ness, if I'm to be honest. So far, worth the 15 bucks it cost me on sale.

I might actually finish this game. First I can say in a long time (says the man who might have 500 hours into Skyrim through PS3/4 & PC and who hasn't ever got past the horn quest...)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Star Ocean 4 HD Remaster. I couldn't get into this the first time I played it. I dunno why. This time though I am really enjoying it. After I finish, I think I am going to start on The Fractured But Whole. I beat The Stick Of Truth between Christmas and New Years and have been waiting to start the next one.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Grabbed Mass Effect, Andromeda today. It feels like a game made by a second studio doing their best to make a Mass Effect game, but I don't hate it. I just got to the tempest, but I'd say, if you loved those games, give it a shot. It is still very fun but we've lost the good writing & the cheap wins, ala finding Garrus in ME2. I loved those games, but the "hey, we're back" nostalgia masked a lot of hammy-ness, if I'm to be honest. So far, worth the 15 bucks it cost me on sale.

I might actually finish this game. First I can say in a long time (says the man who might have 500 hours into Skyrim through PS3/4 & PC and who hasn't ever got past the horn quest...)

I enjoyed it and I think the crew comes together pretty well by the end.

There are some good mods out there on Nexus if you're playing on PC.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm almost finished with The Witcher (1). It's funny: at the beginning, I was put off by the odd combat controls, the camera controls, the bad acting and the linearity, and I came close to uninstalling it, but I very slowly and steadily warmed up to it so that, now, I've put at least 40 hours into it and am not ready for it to end. I originally couldn't understand why people praised the game, but I do now. Most of the individual elements aren't anything to write home about, and some (like the dialogue and voice acting) are just bad or stupid, but everything ties together so well and there's so much depth. I can see why people praise the world building in the two sequels because it's the strongest thing about this game. I wouldn't call it a "great" game, but it's very impressive, especially for being CD Projekt Red's first real game.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm almost finished with The Witcher (1). It's funny: at the beginning, I was put off by the odd combat controls, the camera controls, the bad acting and the linearity, and I came close to uninstalling it, but I very slowly and steadily warmed up to it so that, now, I've put at least 40 hours into it and am not ready for it to end. I originally couldn't understand why people praised the game, but I do now. Most of the individual elements aren't anything to write home about, and some (like the dialogue and voice acting) are just bad or stupid, but everything ties together so well and there's so much depth. I can see why people praise the world building in the two sequels because it's the strongest thing about this game. I wouldn't call it a "great" game, but it's very impressive, especially for being CD Projekt Red's first real game.

I was wondering the same thing in my first few hours in the game. After probably 5 hours in, I fell in love with the game. I don't think I would have ever played 2 or 3 if I didn't stick with 1 and as a result, with it being my favorite RPG series of all time, I always give games a fair chance before just giving up because I didn't like the first hour.

I finished up Vampyr and went to start the original Dead Space. I got 10 minutes in until I faced a game breaking bug that people report on Steam but the fixes listed don't work for me. I can't go through one of the first doors in the game lol. Oh well. I would've loved to have given it a shot...

I did start playing Wreckfest now that it's out of early access. First time I played it in 4 years and I'm having a blast. It came out so good. Here's probably the funniest thing that has happened to me after playing with a friend:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad