Games you are currently playing - Part 7

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life It is the very first Yakuza game I have tackled. I know i probably should of started from the beginning but i wanted to play something a bit more modern. The story is pretty decent and it has really drawn me into its characters. I was unsure at first due to the amount of dialogue you can not skip being kind of bland but it has definitely blossomed as the story unfolds.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Phantom Abyss

Indiana Jones + Mirrors Edge = Pretty fun. Still in early access.

Ghostrunner. Cause I love Hotline Miami and Katana Zero and someone went and made their baby.

RDR 2 Online. The Mrs. has hundreds of hours on the PS 4 (100% the original twice) and now has a proper gaming laptop so I decided to start playing it with her.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Destiny 2
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
Mario Golf

I went ahead and bought Street Fighter V: Championship Edition on sale and jumped into SFV for the first time in a long time. Damn it feels different after mainlining 3rd Strike for so long. The V-trigger system is really tight, but my habitual attempts to parry are getting me pummeled. :laugh:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Phantom Abyss

Indiana Jones + Mirrors Edge = Pretty fun. Still in early access.

Ghostrunner. Cause I love Hotline Miami and Katana Zero and someone went and made their baby.

RDR 2 Online. The Mrs. has hundreds of hours on the PS 4 (100% the original twice) and now has a proper gaming laptop so I decided to start playing it with her.

How is Phantom Abyss exactly? I feel like those kinds of games sound fun but you end up realizing it's just the same handful of patterns over and over again and it ends up getting old pretty quick.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
How is Phantom Abyss exactly? I feel like those kinds of games sound fun but you end up realizing it's just the same handful of patterns over and over again and it ends up getting old pretty quick.

Keep in mind it's still in early access.

It's fun. I would probably still be playing it if I hadn't picked up Ghostrunner. I have a habit of buying EA games and then getting tired of them as the final release drops.

I think there is in fact a lot of potential with PA. Curious to see what they add. Would I say go buy it now? Not if you're on the fence, but you might want to keep an eye on it. I haven't been to the furthest depths yet, but there are some crazy rooms there.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Can they put Capcom vs. SNK 2 on one of the consoles with online play already.

Ugh, god I wish.

Best I've managed is running it via the PCSX2 emulator in Xbox dev mode. It's still gorgeous, but no online play. :(

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
DOOM II

Genuinely great game. Great levels, great action. Genuine classic. My only thing is im not a diehard DOOM guy so I didn't know about the sprint button, which you need to get a key on the second stage. what a nightmare that was.

DOOM

Much like Donkey Kong Country 1, Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and many other first games, its an amazing tech demo, but the sequel is just does it better. Not enough ammo and the keys are too hard to find.

DOOM 64

I'm not far enough into this one to give my definitive opinion but so far, this feels like another Sonic CD, so few people played it that people have tricked themselves into thinking its good. This was actually the only DOOM game I ever played for the longest time as I was a console guy when I was younger. I never got far into it as I played this after I played mario 64 and zelda so the graphics kind of confused me.

On the bright side, they fixed how insanely dark and hard to see the game was, on the other hand, theres so few enemies, the gun animations are wimpy, the enemy animations barely react to you shooting them and these early levels are a bunch of boring narrow corridors.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I played DOOM 64 for the first time last year, when it was finally ported to the PC, and was surprised that I actually enjoyed it. I thought that it'd feel like a dumbed down console port of DOOM or DOOM II, but it felt a lot like the latter, but with bigger and more complex levels, sort of like if id had churned out a DOOM III in 1996 instead of Quake. I probably had some nitpicks, myself, but I can't remember them at this point.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I mentioned it earlier, but I'm playing Hollow knight and starting to get really hooked.

Very well done game in so many respects. Every area has its charm. The writing is subtle, but excellent. I'm loving the ambiance so far, as well as how diverse every map is. Combat is tight. It's a great game to follow up Hades with, and I think a good transition before Bloodborne, my next game.

Last edited:

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Currently switching between a few. I've rarely been able to play a game to completion the last new years. Right now messing with Kerbal space Program, Software Inc, GTA V and just kind of got into ff14.

Sometimes I play the show but I ran into a weird scenario where I was stuck behind Bo Bichette and instead of trading me or asking me to play a different position they signed me to an 8 year deal for 9 million a season to play in AAA despite never being on a 40 man roster. So I kind of gave that one up for now.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I was thinking of finally starting up the single player portion of Ghost of Tsushima, but with the Director's Cut around the corner I think I will hold off until then.

In the meantime, I decided on something that really captures the ancient and rich culture of Japan in a similar fashion:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I was thinking of finally starting up the single player portion of Ghost of Tsushima, but with the Director's Cut around the corner I think I will hold off until then.

In the meantime, I decided on something that really captures the ancient and rich culture of Japan in a similar fashion:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon.
This game is good for about 10 hours. It needs a fast forward button for the combat.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
So far so good. Gets a little grindy I take it?
I wouldn't call it grindy, you can do every main mission without doing any random encounters. The problem is you hit some stretched out corridor dungeons with unavoidable enemies, and the combat is extremely slow, even for a jrpg.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'm near the end of Like a Dragon and found it to be pretty easy even without grinding. The boss battles have definitely seen an uptick in difficulty in the later chapters but still no game over and easily manageable if you know what you're doing. The dungeon that the above mentions is easily done in 30 minutes, don't see what the issue is. Battle system has auto, don't see an issue with the time.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Was planning on playing Ratchet & Clank next, but after the lack of enjoyment Kingdom Hearts 3 brought me I decided to give Fallout New Vegas another playthrough first, so R&C is probably looking at a 2 month delay

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Mass Effect Legendary - First half of ME2, still awesome
Dead Cells - tried this out on Game Pass, thought it was great so I got it for my PS4 that's in a different room
Uncharted 4 or The Last of Us 2 - haven't decided yet which one I want to start with, I'm leaning towards Uncharted as I'm sure it's shorter
Halo MCC - Halo 1 and 3 MP with the wife, having not played Halo much before this year, I'm horrible lol

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
PS5:
NHL 21
FIFA 21
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered
Battlefield 1
Witcher 3 (sloooowly, waiting for the next gen update)

PC:
Halo MCC
Settlers 2

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad