Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
When I first dabbled with Hollow Knight it didn't immediately stick and I put it aside. Then I came back to it some time later played a little more and got completely hooked. I'd recommend playing through the initial central starting zone and into the first new area, that's about where I started getting into it.

Where it really shines is it's a game that doesn't hold your hand with maps telling you where you are and where you need to go, combined with a Dark Souls like death system to add tension. The map is quite large for a 'Metroidvania', to even get a map of the area you have to dive deep into it to find the map maker, and it's all non-linear with branching paths and optional order of doing things, and . Even putting a marker on the map saying where you are requires using a limited skill slot.

Altogether combined with excellent level design it's quite an effective combination, if you're into all that. My only real minor complaint is while it's good for adding extra value if you have the time for it but I found the completionist aspect and shift to super difficulty at the end dragged a bit.

I got to City of Tears before I took a break. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed my time with it, but I had just finished putting a ton of time in with Bloodborne, and probably burnt myself out. I fully intend on returning to finish it. Also, the Greenpath soundtrack might be my favourite game song in a long time

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I’ve been diving into Subnautica (pun intended) while Sony is offering it for free during their “Play at Home” initiative.

It’s a survival/exploration game which shipwrecks the player in an escape pod floating in the open sea with little directive. The storyline is really picking up at the point where I am. The game gives you plenty of time to forage for supplies while gently nudging the story and major equipment advances along.

Absolutely loving it so far. I’ll do a more detailed write up in the other thread once I finish it up.

Edit: Can’t believe I slept on this game for so long. What a great time.​

Reactions: mouser and Osprey

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I’ve been diving into Subnautica (pun intended) while Sony is offering it for free during their “Play at Home” initiative.

It’s a survival/exploration game which shipwrecks the player in an escape pod floating in the open sea with little directive. The storyline is really picking up at the point where I am. The game gives you plenty of time to forage for supplies while gently nudging the story and major equipment advances along.

Absolutely loving it so far. I’ll do a more detailed write up in the other thread once I finish it up.

Edit: Can’t believe I slept on this game for so long. What a great time.​

I can’t say enough good things about Subnautica. Looking forward to Below Zero.

There are many games that include the same elements of exploration, resource collecting, leveling up gear, and base building. But, I think part of what makes Subnautica work so well—beyond the beauty of the sea environment—is the “gear upgrades” are mostly about expanding your ability to explore and access new resources. Not a grindy cycle of upgrading similar armor and weapons to better versions to combat enemies like most games with these gameplay elements do.

I would love to see more games with the approach the Subnautica developers took towards balancing these elements.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I would love to see more games with the approach the Subnautica developers took towards balancing these elements.

If you missed it a few pages ago, I brought up a new game that was released a month ago called Breathedge. It very much looks like Subnautica in space, but with humor. I haven't played it yet, so I can't say how it compares, but the reviews compare it favorably and it's on my list to check out.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can’t say enough good things about Subnautica. Looking forward to Below Zero.

There are many games that include the same elements of exploration, resource collecting, leveling up gear, and base building. But, I think part of what makes Subnautica work so well—beyond the beauty of the sea environment—is the “gear upgrades” are mostly about expanding your ability to explore and access new resources. Not a grindy cycle of upgrading similar armor and weapons to better versions to combat enemies like most games with these gameplay elements do.

I played a fair amount of Subnautica myself, and a friend of mine is obsessed with it, playing it over and over again and setting challenges for himself (e.g. no extra tanks, no Seamoth, no base only Cyclops, etc.).

He played the Early Release Below Zero and was ultimately a bit disappointed. There are forced and longer land sections of the game that are are clunky to navigate and paced much more slowly, and he found the "train" concept for the base not as customizable and useful.

You are also "in contact" with the outside world to a greater extent which kind of diminishes the isolative and contemplative aspect of the original.

Maybe it will improve by the formal release.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I played a fair amount of Subnautica myself, and a friend of mine is obsessed with it, playing it over and over again and setting challenges for himself (e.g. no extra tanks, no Seamoth, no base only Cyclops, etc.).

He played the Early Release Below Zero and was ultimately a bit disappointed. There are forced and longer land sections of the game that are are clunky to navigate and paced much more slowly, and he found the "train" concept for the base not as customizable and useful.

You are also "in contact" with the outside world to a greater extent which kind of diminishes the isolative and contemplative aspect of the original.

Maybe it will improve by the formal release.
I’m becoming borderline obsessed with this game as well, I’m absolutely hooked on it so far!

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If you missed it a few pages ago, I brought up a new game that was released a month ago called Breathedge. It very much looks like Subnautica in space, but with humor. I haven't played it yet, so I can't say how it compares, but the reviews compare it favorably and it's on my list to check out.

Saw CohhCarnage playing that a few weeks ago. Definitely on my list to take a look at.

Reactions: NyQuil

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Halo: Master Chief Collection (Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: 4) is on sale for $19.99 on both the Microsoft Store and Steam, the sale is until April 12 on Steam (normal price is $39.99)

I've been holding off on buying it, but decided to go for it since I never played the original Halo, and enjoyed Halo: Reach

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I started playing StarCraft II for the first time. I played the original in 1998, but it wasn't one of my favorite RTSes. The sequel is a little better than I expected. I like the map variety, the fact that you always start off with a basic base, the upgrades to research and buy between missions, the ability to visit parts of the ship ala Wing Commander and the fact that most of the cutscenes are short and optional.

Unfortunately, most of the campaign feels like a tutorial (for the multiplayer, no doubt), introducing me to new units and abilities, telling me to go here on the map and then there, rushing me along, not letting me continue playing after finishing the mission objectives and so on. I just want to build a base at my leisure and fully wipe out the map like an old school RTS and I really haven't been able to do that once in 18 missions so far. At least the things that I've liked have kept my interest, though, and the game's polish is extraordinary (to be expected from Blizzard and after 10 years, but still).

I'm almost done with the Wings of Liberty campaign and am not sure if I'll keep playing after. I don't believe that I played much more than the human campaign of the original, either, come to think of it. Playing an alien species didn't appeal to me then and doesn't really appeal to me now. We'll see.

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Mario Odyssey: 9/10

Still in the process of completing in the game, was shocked when my buddy told me there were so many moons to pick up in order to complete the game. I think my GF and I have 550 moons and still have to do some of the levels (dark side of moon + peach castle). I hadn't owned a Nintendo console since the N64 so this was a nice reintroduction to Nintendo's golden boy.

Moving Out: 8.5/10

Still fairly early in the game but you can definitely tell it's from the same creators as Overcooked. I do find that the targets are a bit realistic than the 4 star levels you need to hit on OC2. That being said, I did notice that you have to communicate a lot more than on OC (and my patience is definitely being tested a bit more lol).

Death Squared: 7.5/10

Pretty good puzzle game, for 1$ hard to complain. The difficulty is inconsistent from one level to another but there's enough variety for it to not go stale. I'd recommend it whenever it goes on sale next.

Shift Happens: 7.25/10

Game is decent enough, the concept is decent enough but the game does get stale a bit faster than some of the other puzzle games I listed.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I've been playing ME:Andromeda while waiting for the remaster trilogy in May.
This is a much better game than all the negative press it got at release.
I bought it day 1 and didn't play much, been meaning to give it another go.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Worth playing the first one first or just skip it and go to this one?

Story wise it does not matter THAT much (even though you might not really appreciate the beginning of the game) but both games hold up very very well and are a lot of fun. I'd recommend playing both as they are both excellent games.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Just played through Kingdom Come: Deliverance again. Love that game.

If anyone is looking for an open world RPG to sink about 100 hours into, I highly recommend it.

For me, the combat took a bit longer to get the hang of compared to other RPG, but I think that works in it's favour, as you start out as a peasant, not a knight etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad