Games you are currently playing - Part 7

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Finally got around to playing Witcher 3, I think six years after I bought it

The nice thing is that I've now got a good enough computer to play it at 4k/max settings and still get 60 FPS. I hope NVIDIA comes out with a DLSS 2.0 update for Witcher 3 so I can get an FPS bump so it doesn't drop below 60 FPS

Graphics has aged really well for the game, and the story telling is solid. I've only put in about an hour, but I'm looking forward to playing through the game and finally learn the story

A quick FYI: once you leave White Orchid and get to Velen/Novigrad if you start exploring everywhere and doing everything when you get back to the story you're going to be over levelled making the main quest line very easy. Whether or not you care for that it's not very obvious when you're playing the game for the first time and the inclination is to go wandering all over the place.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
A quick FYI: once you leave White Orchid and get to Velen/Novigrad if you start exploring everywhere and doing everything when you get back to the story you're going to be over levelled making the main quest line very easy. Whether or not you care for that it's not very obvious when you're playing the game for the first time and the inclination is to go wandering all over the place.

Thanks for the heads up, I definitely didn't know that.

I've watched a few YouTube videos that makes suggestions for new players (focusing on leveling Quen/shield, getting gourmet, looting everything so you can re-sell, don't buy swords,) but none of the videos mentioned that you could become too strong, but I don't mind that.

By the time I finished Breath of the Wild, the final boss battle was an afterthought, and I didn't mind that because I spent over 90 hours playing the game and going through the story, so if by exploring and going through everything in the Witcher 3 makes the story easy to play through, that's ok with me.

I played Cyberpunk 2077 on the second-highest difficulty and even that ended up becoming really easy by the time I did the final boss battle, so I'm not concerned with game difficulty anywhere near as much as I am with enjoying the story

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up, I definitely didn't know that.

I've watched a few YouTube videos that makes suggestions for new players (focusing on leveling Quen/shield, getting gourmet, looting everything so you can re-sell, don't buy swords,) but none of the videos mentioned that you could become too strong, but I don't mind that.

By the time I finished Breath of the Wild, the final boss battle was an afterthought, and I didn't mind that because I spent over 90 hours playing the game and going through the story, so if by exploring and going through everything in the Witcher 3 makes the story easy to play through, that's ok with me.

I played Cyberpunk 2077 on the second-highest difficulty and even that ended up becoming really easy by the time I did the final boss battle, so I'm not concerned with game difficulty anywhere near as much as I am with enjoying the story

Oh I'm not talking about the final boss but the main story quest line itself. You pick up the story in Novigrad city and they'll be throwing level 12 thugs at you. But you took the time to explore all of Velen so you're level 18 and cut through them like butter. Keep this up and by the time you head to Skellig nothing will challenge you there.

It's really just a matter of preference, this won't bother some people but for others it would have been nice to know. And yes, using the gourmet ability does make it kind of easy mode, but healing yourself without it in the early game can be a huge pain so it's a good trade off.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
How does one not go on robbing and murder sprees in red dead redemption 2 ? Trying to go on the Honorable path but man is it hard.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Started playing XIII for the first time. I know it's an older game. I'm only a couple missions in but it's pretty fun so far. Cell shaded art styles always age well!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
How does one not go on robbing and murder sprees in red dead redemption 2 ? Trying to go on the Honorable path but man is it hard.

thumb_now-you-see-that-evil-will-always-triumph-because-good-53336593.png

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Season 23 of Diablo III starts April 2. Big change this season in which your follower you can hire will actually be very useful for a change.

Players will be able to fully equip their follower now and the bonuses from a couple of sets and a number of items will now be added to you. Also some of the skills for the followers have been modified.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
No Man's Sky - just started, pretty dope
Immortals - probably halfway done, excellent game
Bravely Default 2 - in Chapter 2, fun time
Halo MCC - playing campaigns with the wife, up to Halo 3, good times

On deck:
Alien: Isolation
The Evil Within
The Medium

Reactions: NinjaKick

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Thought I completed Curse of the Dead Gods finally, but nope, there are extra "hard" layers of the temple to go through x.x
Thinking of finally starting Fenyx Immortals Rising as well now.
Outriders will be here in a week, and that will take up a bit of my gaming time. I loved the demo.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Mainly Destiny 2 on PC Cross Saved to Xbox (playing on Xbox because hacking is out of control on PC) and a PS5 account along with Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

PS5
Destiny 2
FIFA 21
Spiderman - Miles Morales
Destiny 1
Control
Ghost of Tsushima
Borderlands 3

Xbox Next Gen
The Medium
Cyberpunk
Destiny 2
Manifold Garden
Spiritfarer

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Tried to complete Space Crew, but I've gotten to the point where the game has shown all its tricks and I'm just bored, so I won't rate it.

I like the concept, much like Bomber Crew, but I think they could have done more to advance the gameplay mechanics to keep things interesting in late game.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Playing RDR2 right now.

At first, I thought the game had great moments and gameplay mixed with profoundly tedious and unecessarily annoying mechanics. But now playing Chapter 3, I'm noticing those negative aspects less and I'm starting to enjoy the game much more. We'll see if this is the masterpiece many people say it is, but as of now, it most definitely isn't. It's a solid game though.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Playing RDR2 right now.

At first, I thought the game had great moments and gameplay mixed with profoundly tedious and unecessarily annoying mechanics. But now playing Chapter 3, I'm noticing those negative aspects less and I'm starting to enjoy the game much more. We'll see if this is the masterpiece many people say it is, but as of now, it most definitely isn't. It's a solid game though.
Fantastic game that just gets better the longer in you are. I'll probably buy it again when I get a PS5 and Rockstar inevitably comes out with the PS5 version.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Fantastic game that just gets better the longer in you are. I'll probably buy it again when I get a PS5 and Rockstar inevitably comes out with the PS5 version.

It's definitely getting better and better every mission.

But, I just don't understand why they had to make so many things so tedious. The game looks like it was made so that every quality of life feature was not only removed, but literally made to be annoying. I would love to skin or loot every body if I had to play a minigame that improved my skill, or made my character grow. Instead, it's just the same tedious and repetitive animation. Immersion can't even be cited there due to the fact your character already picks up ammo automatically and other systems like the witness system have broken mechanics that ruin immersion. Deadeye wouldn't exist either.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
It's definitely getting better and better every mission.

But, I just don't understand why they had to make so many things so tedious. The game looks like it was made so that every quality of life feature was not only removed, but literally made to be annoying. I would love to skin or loot every body if I had to play a minigame that improved my skill, or made my character grow. Instead, it's just the same tedious and repetitive animation. Immersion can't even be cited there due to the fact your character already picks up ammo automatically and other systems like the witness system have broken mechanics that ruin immersion. Deadeye wouldn't exist either.
I don't disagree. It's one of the most boring exciting games I've ever played.

Reactions: Andrei79

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Dabbled with Hollow Knight, didn’t stick but I may revisit it. Currently been playing MLB The Show 20 while I’ve been waiting for Disco Elysium The Final Cut to come out. Tomorrow is that day and I can’t wait

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Started playing Monster Hunter World and holy that's alot of info to sift through and understand. I went dual blades after messing with the katana first, I like the speed of it better. Thought about going with one of the bowguns, maybe later.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Dabbled with Hollow Knight, didn’t stick but I may revisit it. Currently been playing MLB The Show 20 while I’ve been waiting for Disco Elysium The Final Cut to come out. Tomorrow is that day and I can’t wait
Disco Elysium seems like a game I'd really enjoy, but I've tried to play it twice now and it never really captured any interest at all. Not sure if it's the politics or the lack of traditional combat ... just couldn't get into it. Probably try it again at some point though.

Reactions: Osprey

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Let me preface this by saying that I am not a video game player. In fact, I am for most purposes anti-video games. But I found myself with some spare time this past week and decided to download Stardew Valley onto my Kindle, hoooboy what an easy way to lose 30 hours.

When I was a kid I was a big fan of the Harvest Moon series, and Stardew is just a completely superior version. Every little detail of the game has been implemented perfectly and it always gives you just enough reasons to want to come back and keep playing. I actually had to delete my save file and remove the game from my Kindle since I was playing it too much, and I don't expect to ever play it again.

But yeah, Stardew Valley, 10/10.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

When I first dabbled with Hollow Knight it didn't immediately stick and I put it aside. Then I came back to it some time later played a little more and got completely hooked. I'd recommend playing through the initial central starting zone and into the first new area, that's about where I started getting into it.

Where it really shines is it's a game that doesn't hold your hand with maps telling you where you are and where you need to go, combined with a Dark Souls like death system to add tension. The map is quite large for a 'Metroidvania', to even get a map of the area you have to dive deep into it to find the map maker, and it's all non-linear with branching paths and optional order of doing things, and . Even putting a marker on the map saying where you are requires using a limited skill slot.

Altogether combined with excellent level design it's quite an effective combination, if you're into all that. My only real minor complaint is while it's good for adding extra value if you have the time for it but I found the completionist aspect and shift to super difficulty at the end dragged a bit.

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
Finished Bloodborne and loved it so I picked up Darksouls series...just rang both bells in DS 1 after about 40 hours lol...good grief...had a fairly smooth experience with Bloodborne so I thought i could handle DS...sheesh its an excercise in patience for sure...incredibly frustrating but addictive game...I'm off to go die some more...:)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I ran into that issue which was a bit of a mild disappointment.

I understand that you want to appeal to casual gamers but I suspect a large number of RPGers are completionists so the oversight was a bit surprising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad